Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

Twitterrific 5 - Latest edition of the popular Twitter client that invented the idea of posts being called 'tweets' and I think they also were the first to use bird imagery in their icon. Anyway, this is the only client around right now that has me thinking about switching away from Tweetbot.

It really is fantastic. I've been using it instead of Tweetbot since it was released and I might actually stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IUG posted:

I've been interested in starting to use one of these services. Do you have to pay a fee to start using this before the app? Then do you have to buy the app for each computer you use too (or at least a Mac license and a PC license)?

There's no overall fee to use the service, but you will have to pay for licenses to use each version (iOS, Mac, PC). It's not cheap but it's been worth every penny I've spent so far.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The desktop versions of 1Password haven't been upgraded to 4 yet. Anyone know if that causes a problem? i.e. does running 4 on my iPhone and 3 on my Mac (linked with Dropbox) cause any problems?

I'm sure they wouldn't have released the iOS version yet if it was a problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

silloh posted:

I have a general question about 1Password. I've been thinking about getting a password manager for a while now, but would it be worth it to only get the iOS app without the desktop one? Is it even "usable" without the desktop versions?

I don't think it would be worth it. You really need to use it everywhere to really be helpful, but if you had to skip one I think you'd be a lot better off using just the desktop version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bows1 posted:

Can anyone confirm how good the new google maps is for Transit and directions around NYC? Only reason I haven't upgraded to iOS6 was Transit and Maps. Now that its back has me contemplating. Pros/Cons?

It's using the same data, so shouldn't it be the same?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also, from his description it sounds like he's still on the old Awful app.

The Awful thread is here and the current app is here.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Batman posted:

I'm not sure why Pocket Casts doesn't get much love here. It's a great app in my experience.

I've spent significant amounts of time using Apple's Podcasts, Downcast, Instacasts 1-3, and Pocket Casts and ultimately Pocket Casts is the one I always come back to, but I think there are a few things that turn people off from it.

• No iPad/universal version. I only listen to podcasts on my phone, but some people like to use multiple devices.
  • It's not frequently updated. According to App Shopper, Pocket Casts last update was in November and previously they didn't have any updates between April and September. Compare that to Downcast, which has been updated at least once (but usually more) every month except two since it was released. The app is solid, so I can deal with this, but it's always better when it feels like the app is being actively maintained.
  • Very heavily styled UI. The visual style of the app is pretty heavily customized, and while I personally like it, I can understand why it could be a turn off to some people.
  • General lack of features. Downcast has a lot of extra features that I don't really use, but a lot of people do.
  • No auto-downloading. The other apps will download new episodes every time you launch the app, but Pocket Casts makes you manually press the download button on every episode. Technically this probably falls under "General lack of features", but I'm listing it separately because it's the only one that I personally miss.

Pocket Casts is a great app, and it suits my needs almost perfectly, but I can definitely see the issues that other people might have with it.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 4, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I assume this is a mistake and you meant Pocket Casts in this instance, because Downcast auto-downloads.

:doh: Edited my post

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

geera posted:

The reason they did it this way was to avoid a total meltdown of their servers when 500k+ people downloaded the app the second it was released on the App Store. By releasing it for free, they can control the rate of signups without people freaking out that they paid $3 for an app that they can't use.

There probably wouldn't have been 500k+ downloads in the first day if people had to pay for it though. Giving it away for free only ensures that more people will download it, and most of them will be disappointed when they can't actually use the app. Plus it's obviously going to be a lot harder for them to make money on it now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

priznat posted:

I just expect Mailbox to get bought by google or apple and then the app dies on the vine just like Sparrow. At least we won't be paying for them to showcase for investors this time!

This is what I'm afraid of, especially now that they're giving the app away for free. Sparrow was great, but they weren't able to sustain the business even charging for the app.

They've definitely picked up the pace with activations today though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Has anyone played with the Sleep Cycle app? I don't really trust the reviews in the store.

I've been using it for the last couple months. I don't think it made it any easier for me to wake up like they say it does, but I still like using it just to monitor how well I sleep. Having a record of this stuff has helped me get to sleep earlier.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

Huh, is it possible for an iPhone to just "miss" an app update somehow? My pages in the app just never load. Oh well, I'll take it to the appropriate thread, thanks for the link!

Sounds like you have the old app. Pokeyman took over development because OHIO didn't have time to work on it anymore. He had to submit it as a new app because there is no way to move an app to a different App Store account.

I believe the old app should have prompted you to download the new app at some point, but I was already running betas of the new version by then so I honestly can't say for sure that it ever happened. You're not the first person to miss the switchover.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's basically only in-app content that you need to use Apple's in-app purchasing for. That's why Amazon can sell physical goods through their apps, but not Kindle books or mp3s.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Nothing quite as scary as a TweetBot update that says "UI updated to meet Twittter's new guidelines." Haven't noticed any real differences yet though.

I've only found two differences, and they're pretty minor. The "Detail" view shows the username and avatar above the tweet instead of below it now, and your own tweets show up with your avatar on the left instead of the right.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NZP posted:

Also, you can't see who has RT you. Well you can but it involves going into your Favstar. Terrible.

Does anyone know whether this is something Twitter forced or just something Tapbots chose to do themselves? Paul from Tapbots seems genuinely surprised that anyone misses this, which makes me think they just chose to get rid of it because they didn't think people used it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any decent apps for letting me send a URL from Internet Explorer (what I'm forced to use at work) to my iPhone?

I just want something really easy and works quickly...

Clink. I remember hearing that it had stopped working a while ago, but I just tried it and it seems to work just fine.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a podcast app that is specifically good for listening to back catalog episodes? Instacast really doesn't handle this use case well.... It mostly seems to be written under the assumption you are listening to current episodes. I really want a convenient way to listen to, and keep track of old [EconTalk and Hypercritical] episodes.

For Hypercritical, instead of an app you might want to check out http://5by5timemachine.com/

It basically lets you create a delayed feed of any 5by5 show. I've been using it to get "new" Hypercritical episodes every week since it ended.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

RSS readers have been too dependent on Google Reader for a long time now. Google Reader is essentially the only platform for syncing RSS subscriptions across different clients. That's not really a good situation, especially since Google hasn't seemed to care about Reader in years. Now that they're shutting it down (with a pretty good amount of advanced notice) we're sure to see a bunch of replacements pop up. Ultimately it's probably for the best that it's shutting down.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Now that quite a few of you either have or have had Mailbox on your phone, I have a question. Did you notice that it wasn't updating you in a timely manner to new emails?

All my settings are set up fine in Notificatons & Notification Center, however I will, like, manually open my Mailbox app at, say around 8pm on a given night and find I've received about 8 emails in the last 30min to an hour...

And sometimes it updates me immediately.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Is it because they are a server middleman? Are THEY the bottleneck?

I haven't noticed this myself, but I'd say that they are the most likely bottleneck.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

echobucket posted:

It apparently has automatic downloads (I'm assuming this is complete background downloads much like newsstand downloads)

As far as I can tell, this assumption is wrong and they're playing by the same rules as third-party apps when it comes to background downloads. As a matter of principle, this seems like a good thing, but honestly I really want automatic background downloads of my podcasts, so I wish Apple would take advantage of their ability to break the rules in this case. I'm trying the app out for a while, and I may end up fully switching to it anyway, but this is the one feature that would definitely convince me to make the switch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

So is it worth making the switch back from Downcast yet?

I've never been a fan of Downcast (I've been using Pocket Casts, but have spent at least a week trying all of the major podcast apps), but it definitely seems a lot less buggy than it used to be. At this point, I'd say it comes down to your personal opinion of the features and UI that each app offers. It's only been a few days though, so I might still change my mind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Are you sure? The popup on first load sure made it sound like it can background download.

Pretty sure. It hasn't downloaded an episode without me opening the app yet.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bobfather posted:

Forecast.io is without a doubt, the most amazing weather app I have ever used. And it's a free, web app to boot.

Everyone should have it.

It really is pretty incredible. Add it to your homescreen and you probably won't even be able to tell it's a web app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

Just in case you've forgotten about it: Yes, PaperKarma is awesome.

Thanks! I've never seen this before but it looks like it could be great.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

As long as it works like other apps that do that, yeah, you can fill in the timeline gap by tapping it. Of course, other apps actually have text there that says "Tap to see timeline gap". Zuckeyburg's half-rear end programmers strike again.

I haven't tried it in the newest version, but at least in older versions of the app tapping that space did nothing.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tweetbot.

EDIT: vvv Oh yeah, Twitterrific is really good too. vvv

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 27, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well, their desktop OS does and it was a result of years of time in the courtroom. I've never used one of their phones.

Smartphones are still a fairly new thing, I suspect eventually some degree of flexibility will be mandated.

Those court battles only came about because Microsoft had a near-monopoly on desktop computer operating systems, and they were accused of using that monopoly to gain an unfair advantage for Internet Explorer. If Windows wasn't so dominant, they probably wouldn't have been forced to change anything. Apple doesn't even have the highest market share among mobile OSs. It's a very different situation.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, but Google is starting to take some heat for their practices with Android. All it takes is one company to get hauled into court and the rest will fall into line.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if something eventually forces Apple's hand when it comes to setting default apps. My point was really that this is a very different situation than Windows in the 90s, so you can't really look at the Microsoft situation and say that the same thing will happen to Apple (which isn't really what you said anyway, but I've heard it before).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

The problem with choosing Most Recent is that it doesn't respect the custom settings you have set on Facebook-proper. I've got about 50% of my friend's feeds blocked and choosing Most Recent shows all of them.

I can't speak to the newest versions because I got rid of my Facebook, but at least as of a few weeks ago it didn't work this way for me. I'm not saying it didn't do it for you, but I'd say that it's an issue with the app itself sucking. Most Recent is not supposed to work the way you describe.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'd like it better if it didn't have the Yahoo logo.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iostream.h posted:

There was quite a bit of discussion about that in the weatherpocalypse thread where a couple of meteorologists pointed out some serious flaws with their data. I pointed it out and it was quickly dismissed because its a pretty app.

Didn't it turn out later that those meteorologists misunderstood where the data came from, or am I misremembering that? I don't follow that thread, and I don't even use Dark Sky/Forecast.io, but I thought someone said that last time this came up.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DarkJC posted:

They have serious problems with the methodology Dark Sky uses for prediction. But to Dark Sky's credit they lay things out very clearly in their FAQ about how they are using their data, and even mention that most meteorologists are skeptical of their approach.

In practice it seems to work decently well for predicting rain near your location within the hour, but plurals of anecdotes are not data etc etc.

Yeah, it turns out I was thinking of something from their own website, so take it with an appropriate serving of salt.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My first impression when playing around with the app is that it looks like the iOS 6 Music app, but better. I hope that all the built-in apps end up looking like this, but with some more color variety rather than everything being predominantly white.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's a very well-done app, and I think their philosophy of starting with something simple and extremely polished and (presumably) building on it over time is admirable. I don't think there is really any problem with the app itself, especially since it's a version 1.0 app, but the level of coverage it's gotten is a little ridiculous and it surely wouldn't have gotten so much attention if anyone else had built it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

As the owner of a Kindle Fire, let me tell you: Don't waste your money. Get an iPad and the Kindle app instead.

Owning a Kindle Fire doesn't really show you what owning an E-Ink Kindle is like.

I bought a Kindle back when they still cost $400 and I loved it. Totally thought it was worth the price, but since I got an iPhone and iPad I've hardly touched it. The Kindle has a much better screen for reading (and the current Kindles are even better than the one I have) but to me, they're not so much better that it outweighs the convenience of reading on an iPhone and iPad. As long as you've already got the iPhone, I say try just reading on that for now and if you don't like it, then you should try the Kindle.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Looks like they've released an actual IFTTT app for iPhone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm looking for a quick way to get URLs to my iOS clipboard from another device. Simplest way is to email it and copy it, but having something more automated would be awesome. I tried setting up some IFTTTT actions that would take a URL from Pocket, and text it to me. Doing that sends a bit.ly URL, which kinda sucks. I also tried an Evernote append recipe which just doesn't work, so I've set it up wrong.

Ideally I could just use some kind of extension or bookmarklet that would go somewhere that I could easily get to on my phone, mainly just to message to others. I don't have a mac running 10.8, so I can't do iMessage directly, otherwise that would be a nice way to handle it for my contacts with iPhones.

Check out Clink.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think the big benefit is that it's the first iPad version to support anything other than Google Reader.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Magic Mango posted:

Instacast users: are the background downloads working for you? I haven't had any come through yet, even though two new episodes of podcasts I subscribe to have been published, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just that background activity is extremely conservative as to when it runs. Push notifications are enabled for the app and for all my podcasts, and backgrounding is enabled too.

Yep, I've gotten a couple already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks. Used LFL76ALRRP3L.

• Locked thread