Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Can someone recommend me a good (free) IRC client? I don't need anything fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bazaar apparatus posted:

No idea if this has been talked about in the thread yet, but if any of you are the type to write a journal you should check out DayOne (shameless plug for my review). It's really good, I wasn't even the journaling type until I tried it out.

I tried this one and Momento but I chose Momento because it basically writes entries for me by grabbing my posts from social networking sites and my blog's RSS feed without me having to do anything. And of course I can also write entries and take pictures with it. It's pretty great.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Ah okay, totally different needs then. I barely use anything other than my iPhone anymore. My PC is only ever on at all because I need it to do my art commissions. So I have no need for it to sync or anything like that.

Come to think of it, it's amazing how the iPhone has just kind of replaced my desktop computer almost completely. If I didn't need the computer to do commissions I'd probably sell it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I use AppZapp

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appzapp-free-paid-apps-price/id383151779?mt=8

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So USB Disk & File Transfer is free today. Is it any good?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

Judging from the AppShopper page, it has similar features to Documents by Readdle and GoodReader, but the interface looks like rear end. If you're using an iPad and want something for free, get Documents instead.
Nope I'm using an iPhone. I don't really need this at all, but it's free right now and I thought I'd give it a try.

So I did and you're right; it looks like rear end.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

There's an iPhone version of Documents that's supposed to be coming soon, according to Readdle's Twitter account. Keep an eye out for it. I've been using the iPad version since it was released and it's been really great for file management and whatnot.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. It certainly looks nice from the screenshots I'm seeing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Couch Life posted:

People also downvote apps like Spotify for charging money. People on the AppStore are idiots.

Yeah, I learned to ignore app store reviews a long time ago. Not only because people there are idiots but also because there are lots of fake 5 star reviews too.

I just google "[app name] review" these days.

e: also forgot to post this: http://lifeinlofi.com/photo-apps-on-sale/ it's a list of photography apps currently on sale or free, updated at least once a day.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PaganGoatPants posted:

I've moved about 30 places in 3 hours so I doubt I'll even get to try at this rate.

Same here. There are like 400k people ahead of me and it's moving so slow that I might as well just wait until they release it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

So they claim they will be ramping up invites as things go... But I agree, I've moved about 800 places today and at even 2 times that rate, that's 2 weeks. Don't have an app sit useless on my phone for 15 days. That just seems silly.

Yeah pretty much. I'll let it sit there since I have a lot of free space right now but I'm not expecting to get in before they release it. And it is pretty silly. I understand why they're doing this but it's just way too slow. I mean Christ.

Anyway, WolframAlpha is on sale.

e: about Mailbox

quote:

Originally, Mailbox planned to charge $3 for the app, but that changed after its debut video attracted more than 1 million views. “We originated too much interest too fast,” Underwood said.

So instead of charging on day one and potentially crashing its servers (which would greatly damage the brand), the team decided to make the app free but give people access at a slower rate.

“We just walked away from a lot of cash to do this, so we want to do it right,” Underwood said.

[...]

In fact, Underwood said that his team ran into a problem with “sockets” this morning that no doubt would have crashed the app today if everyone on the wait list had access to it. “It would have fallen over,” Underwood said.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/07/mailbox-app-iphone-wait-list/

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 8, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'd rather pay $3 than wait weeks to try an app. Oh well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

japtor posted:

I got turned off by the idea of having to go through them in the first place so I haven't really looked into it. Do you give them your email account credentials or does gmail have some third party access thing now for stuff like this?
This is from their privacy page:

quote:

Mailbox is designed to help you manage your email account with other providers, like Gmail. When you link your email accounts (provided by third parties) to Mailbox, you give Mailbox permission to securely access your information contained in or associated with those accounts. If you link your third party account to Mailbox, that third party may also pass certain information along about your use of its service. While Mailbox does not store your password to these email accounts, the service does securely store some emails on a temporary basis in order to deliver them to you as quickly as possible and keep track of your deferred messages.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/privacy/

I use 2-step verification for my Google account anyway so I think in my case I'd be creating an application specific password for Mailbox as opposed to giving them my actual account password, but who knows.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nut Bunnies posted:

Mailbox has really picked up the pace fwiw. I was around 6000 in line and got access early this morning.

So how is it? Was it worth the wait?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Does it support sending from multiple accounts? I mean like this:

The gmail app does but I'm guessing Mailbox doesn't. If that's the case, then I'll have no use for it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Pissflaps posted:

Well you can choose which of your accounts you send mail from if that's what you mean?

Though it's actually a bit convoluted - after pressing the 'new mail' button you press the arrow next to the 'To:' field, then press in the 'From:' field which has your default email account already set then choose from the accounts you have set up.

I'm not sure if I've answered the right question though because I'd have been surprised if Mailbox didn't do that.

You did answer the right question, thank you.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Minidust posted:

I tried tumblr for the first time and made an account through the app. I skipped the part where you choose an avatar because I figured I'd just choose one later.

Now as far as I can tell there's no way to actually change your avatar in the app? Even after making an avatar through the web version, in the app all I ever see is the default pic. Any way to change this?

Log out of the app, close it completely and log back in. It works sometimes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

busfahrer posted:

Great, I can see this leading to some very obsessive hoarding of apps that I will never ever even start.

Yep. I have a fuckton of apps that I downloaded because they were free for a day but didn't really install on my phone. I think I own almost every paid photography app out there thanks to this.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I've pretty much lost interest at this point. Uninstalled it a couple of days ago. I was still number 200,450 or something like that.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

NZP posted:

Also, you can't see who has RT you. Well you can but it involves going into your Favstar. Terrible.

Ugh I came here to ask about this. I guess I should just be glad that the app still works fine but this is a major annoyance for me. Blargh. I wish app.net wasn't such a wasteland, I'm just about ready to switch.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Diabolik900 posted:

Does anyone know whether this is something Twitter forced or just something Tapbots chose to do themselves? Paul from Tapbots seems genuinely surprised that anyone misses this, which makes me think they just chose to get rid of it because they didn't think people used it.

Their Twitter account is saying

quote:

Twitter API changes removed almost all of the support we used to make the RT tab work.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

I dont remember now, but it (at the VERY least) respects what email address was replied to and uses that one.

For example, if I sign up with my spam GMAIL account for a Craigslist ad where I am the seller, and I get an email, it goes to my spam-mail address. I reply, and it COMES from my spam gmail address.

In Mailbox, everything just comes from my MAIN gmail address, regardless of what was replied to, inbound.

Well I'm really glad I uninstalled mailbox without even trying it then because that is vital to how I manage my emails. I have like, 4 gmail accounts linked together and I need that functionality. I absolutely cannot accidentally reply to a work email from my personal email etc etc.

I'm really happy with the gmail app anyway.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Pissflaps posted:

I think the difference seems to be that you have multiple configured email accounts within mailbox, whereas the people who are having problems have the email accounts linked together somehow with only one actually configured in the app.

I'm actually surprised that people don't seem to know about this feature. You can set it up in your gmail settings page:

It's extremely useful when you have a lot of different accounts but don't want to log in and out to send/receive email, or set up multiple accounts on your gmail app or what have you. I use a single account to send and receive mail from all the others. It's so much easier.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

echobucket posted:

Well, this is the iOS app thread so i can't resist telling you to sell the Nexus 7 and buy an iPad mini instead so you can use iMessage :hurr:

But seriously, Google Voice gives you a separate number. I think you can port your cell number to Google Voice, but then your cell phone would end up with a new number. I'm not sure how you go about doing this though.

Also, be aware, last time I checked Google Voice couldn't do MMS.

If you port your number to GV, you will automatically cancel your contract with the carrier. I did it when I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile because I wanted to keep my number. It costs $20.

e: I only use GV to forward to my T-Mo number, so I have no idea about MMS or whatever.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is anyone using Copy? It's a Dropbox-like service, really nice app overall. You get 5GB to start with.

e: sign up with my referral link: https://copy.com?r=y3NpfU for an extra 5GB for you and me, if you're feeling charitable.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Maybe we should make a new thread to keep this one from turning into a referral chain thing.

e: just fyi sometimes it takes a little while for the extra 5GB to show up but it will eventually as long as you actually install the app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
It's a really nice app, I'm surprised actually at how nice it is. The desktop app (Windows) is also really nice. Basically it is just like Dropbox, you get a little folder that you can put your files in. You can share them online too though I've only been able to get the link from the web interface.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to support automatic photo upload like Dropbox. But then again Dropbox always ends up uploading everything, even shots I don't care to keep, so I suppose the manual upload on Copy has its advantages too.

e: unrelated but why in the gently caress doesn't iOS let me select all my photos from my camera roll? I have to tap each photo manually. Grrrrr.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The Antipop posted:

I recently switched to an iphone5 from android and was looking for a free offline map app like Openstreetmap that I had on my android. One where I can download maps for cities that I'm going to be visiting soon that I probably won't have wifi/cellular access (Reykjavik, London, Paris). While it seems that there are several in the itunes store (Galileo, Openmaps) if you want to download the maps, you get have to pay for that access.

Is there a way to enlarge the cache for google maps to pre-download maps for those areas?

No, I don't think there's any way to do that.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does Copy offer that Dropbox doesn't?

More free space and a prettier app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
These are the guys who made Copy

https://www.barracudanetworks.com/?a=copywebsite

As for the rest, I have no idea. I just wanted a thing to dump my photos into and was running out of space on Dropbox. I never put anything important or private in these cloud storage apps.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just put everything in a text file and put it in my Dropbox.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Mapple works great on my iPhone 4, I can't imagine why it would be slow/spotty on a 5.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
poo poo, and I use Newsify too. Grrr. Is Feedly any good?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm using Feedly now and I quite like it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PaganGoatPants posted:

They just got absorbed by dropbox so there's that: https://blog.dropbox.com/2013/03/welcome-mailbox/

Huh that's weird. Snapjoy made sense for them to buy, but Mailbox? Weird...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm out of iCloud space, are there any free backup alternatives? I guess I could disable Photo backups considering they also backup to Dropbox.

The Copy app which I posted here some time ago is really great. This is my referral link: https://copy.com?r=y3NpfU -- if you use it, we'll both get an extra 5GB of space (so you'll have 10GB instead of 5).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just use MiniKeepass. It's free.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Took AJ3ATKMRMEYE, thanks! Really cool app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
All codes have been used. :(

e: seriously can you guys please post when you've used a code, I got my hopes up for nothing. drat.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Pretty sure you can just walk into any Starbucks and grab one, I saw a big stack of those this morning at my local place.
Yeah but people should still post when they use a code regardless. I typed in almost every one of them thinking it was still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah guys, asking that someone let people know that a code was used so that others don't waste their time trying to use it is totally an indication of self-entitlement. This is not how every other forum does it and it is completely unreasonable to expect it. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread