Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are there any fun, small games a la Letterpress? I just want something where I can make a move, set my phone down, and then pick it up later to make another etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Don Tacorleone posted:

No, get Clear instead.

Re: Downcast - I noticed it had an app update with "Bug fixes". For what it's worth, it seems to play nice with Control Center so far.

Edit: Scratch that, Downcast just crashed and CC is broken again.

Pocket Casts has gotten a serious overhaul since iOS 7 drops. It seems like the best podcast app so far.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I took WPR7NN979P6F

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Tweetbot feels like poo poo to me. Like, I feel like it's a cupcake with the most icing possible and, of course, people will like that, but it has never ever felt like an app that is supposed to simply tweet. It's like a game where the way to win is to use Twitter the most. I like Twitterrific because it's pretty much perfect. Aside from the lack of certain features (specific keyword muting, see who faved/retweed in-app/in-line) it's a perfect app. it looks nice, works well, and doesn't feel like it's out to give me diabetes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

It is interesting to see these "original" iPhone developers deal with the reality of the App Store nowadays. Like I can't help but feel that Twitterific is selling less and less copies of each upgrade. And they didn't come out with a new paid upgrade for iOS 7, which seems unusual.

And even free + IAP for features is tough because your next competitor will just make your premium feature free and have a competitive advantage .

It's mostly because T5 already had a look that blended with iOS 6. Rebuilding the app didn't take that long.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
IFTTT can email (or text) you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It should be noted that IFTTT isn't strictly an app. I've been using it for a few years for work related stuff before even realizing it had an app to create recipes. Maybe I'm just saying things are common knowledge, but just-in case anyone is here thinking it's an iOS-bound thing...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I honestly think Tweetbot is the ugliest iOS 7 app around. The glyphs are about four sizes too large, the mix-matching between light themes and dark themes for no apparent reason, circular icons for again, no apparent reasons, the removal of classic and well-liked features or, guess what, no apparent reason, and the dumb rear end looking loving icon. Tweetbot will never be liked by me, it just never will.

Well, maybe it will. it took until version 5 for me to like Twitterrific. It's just so clearly a better app in my opinion. Like, just clearly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, you need an app awhile ago to enable the Emoji keyboard. No diea what their use is now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

priznat posted:

What's the recommended document/receipt scanner du jour? Something that could upload to dropbox/gDrive and can parse $ amounts with tagging etc.

Scanner pro by Readdle. In the end, they all work the same, however.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can someone who hates the default Mail app tell me why they hate the default Mail app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I imagine the Knock would be useful when I'm at school and have my Mac and phone out, but I honestly can't think of another scenario wherein I'd use it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
IFTTT works in the "background" in the sense that you can set up the rule then delete the app and just let it do its thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iOS should/does do it automatically.

http://www.macstories.net/news/ios-6-messages-now-automatically-selects-last-used-international-keyboard-for-each-contact/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah I've got the update showing as being available, but when I try to update it from the App Store, it says it can't be downloaded at this time. If you just hit "Done", the app is all grey and it might be unusable too? (Not sure about that part.) So you have to hit "Done" and then press the Stop button inside the progress wheel for it to return to its regular look.

A designer from Facebook said they're on it.

https://twitter.com/andyngo/status/399051189444042753

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I can't wait for everyone to buy Apple devices and use iMessage exclusively.

Everyone. :colbert:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a decent Pokedex app that's slipped through the cracks with X and Y info?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I'm having a strange problem with importing .vcf's from my old dumbphone. It exports my contacts each to an individual .vcf. Importing multiple .vcf's doesn't seem to be supported by iCloud. What's the easiest way to import all these individual .vcf's into iCloud?

You could combine them into one single one and then drag to the Contacts thing in the iCloud page.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

japtor posted:

You can also save a few words and just say "wolfram [pokemon]" (same goes for other Wolfram Alpha queries for that matter).

My main problem is that Siri can't really figure out the names of Pokemon vs actual words. Saying "Gogoat" results in a crap ton of results ranging from directions to a goat or information about gargoyles.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hatch is dropping tomorrow at 9AM.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hatch is out:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hatch/id718835727

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, is this basically Tamogotchi on your iPhone?

Pretty much, yes. It's like an updated version of what Tamagotchi would've evolved into. There is a Tamagotchi app that mimics the one-tone greenness and pixel-by-pixel look of the original, however. Ironically, it has the same name.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

101 posted:

That was called Hatchi, I believe

Looks like you're right. That illusive i wins yet again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pissflaps posted:

I've got 'imgupr' now but that doesn't resize images the resizing is done on the imgur server itself so pictures take a while to upload.

Don't worry.

I got this.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/up-it/id718082759?mt=8

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A screwdriver probably wouldn't even work as a stylus (but the screen on the Air would be tougher against scratches)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DarkJC posted:

Oh please, cut the bullshit hyperbole. A first gen iPad works exactly the same today as it did the almost 4 years ago it was introduced. Browse the web, read books, watch shows, use apps, it works fine. You can reinstall iOS just fine.

Great job making the 'stupid debate' even stupider.

edit: I also challenge you to find an Android (or any other) tablet that old (or as close as possible considering there were none before the iPad) that works as well as the iPad 1.

A G1 on the newest CynanogenMod that supports it probably runs just as well as an iPad 1.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Truthfully, it is a bit weird to claim the first iPad is better than the current one because your children used a screwdriver as a stylus in guerrilla glass and it still works.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone having trouble downloading/updating apps on their phone? I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.4.

The only problem I'm getting is that I have to download apps, and then go back and update them. It'll say the app had a recent update and all this jazz, but the download will be the 2nd newest version.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tryna remember a game. It's a kinda flash looking running game, on a platform. Jump over this, jump over that. Was named something like -Runner or something -Sprinter. Looked through Apps with that name, can't see anything.

Cheers.

Are you thinking of Canabalt? There's also

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Batman posted:

Pocketcasts in iOS 7 is the way to go.

PocketCasts is like the worse version of Downcast.

e: Wait, nope. Downcast is a worse version of PocketCasts.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 29, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

snakeater posted:

Or wait for Overcast, guys, because Marco.

I hate Marco more than I probably should, and with that comes the refusal to buy any of his apps.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

You can afford apple products but not $90/year for software you love?

I'll never understand this mentality for my natural given life. "You can buy thing but you can't buy MORE things?"

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
While we're on the topic of Mail apps, can someone explain what is wrong or missing from the default Mail app?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I rather keep a large portion of my poo poo accessible the way I do files.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

In this age of Instagram, I'm surprised no one has tried making a phone with a square image sensor yet.

Well, we have a square "filter" in iOS 7. That's enough for America at the moment.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
"What's the point in updating the app? It works just fine." gently caress y'all.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, I heard about that a month or so ago.....a year and a half after we bought our iphones and set up different accounts.

That would have saved us money since we both bought the same kid's games so they could always play it no matter who was with them.

A child's happiness is priceless

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ChocNitty posted:

Photon Flash Web Browser + goontu.be = iPad purchase justified.

Yeah, gently caress the other stuff.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

Went to the dentist for my cleaning yesterday. Promised to do better about flossing. Are there any apps that can help me not fail at this, like I've failed every other time?

Send a reminder for 8:00AM that repeats every day telling you to floss.

e: I could've phrased that better, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I'm kinda confused why you can't be the one to do the fix if you have the iPad in your possession. Like, c'mon, man. She's family.

• Locked thread