Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

SwiftKey comes up fine for me when replying from notifications.

I remember trying a swype style keyboard on my Nexus One years ago and not really digging it. SwiftKey on my iPhone 5 is miles ahead of that, though. I enjoy using it a great deal. When can I start sliding my fingers across my MacBook keys to input text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

smackfu posted:

Search App Store for "swiftkey keyboard". One result. Not the right one. Go go iOS 8.

The App Store has always had that issue with brand new apps not showing up for everyone/anyone unless you get a specific URL or something.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So no apps sync any info with Health yet, right?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I've tried numerous times to utilize IFTTT but always wind up deleting it because I never find it useful for the stuff I do. I think it nah have a lot to do with me not being creative enough to make it work for me. Same thing goes for that Launcher app that got brought up a page or two ago.

What the hell do you guys use these apps for? Like if you had to give one awesome example. The most complex thing I do is take a photo, edit with vsco, crop in squaready, post to instagram. It doesn't really break my balls to go through each app although I'm glad that squaready can now be used from within the photos app, although I have to relearn my process that I was so used to.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MFP isn't doing jack poo poo for my Health app and I'm starting to wonder if MFP is even worth bothering with anyway. I have a food scale at home but it measures in ounces and grams. MFP only allows for random loving increments of like half teaspoons or Costco sized variety packs. I ate a banana this morning, typed "banana" and the first result was not a banana, it was like mashed up banana purée or something. Wut?

Also, I'm reluctant to add that I'm an organ donor to my Medical ID in the Health app in case emergency responders find me in critical condition and decide to let me die so they can save another Steve Jobs or something.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

banana chat

So the first result defaults to "mashed" as a serving option but in the serving size drop down there are other units of measure to choose from. That's great but that doesn't seem to usually be the case. Most of the time I select an item there's only one serving size option.

Anyway, so this banana menu item allows you to select 1 cup mashed, 1 cup sliced, various sizes (s-xl based on length), then 1 "serving" (wtf is that?) or 100 g. What about 1g? If I theoretically had a banana less than 100g, or if I ate half of a banana or something how would I measure that? Select it then divide or whatever? That's really loving lovely functionality for a simple app designed to help people easily track calories and lose weight. I am, admittedly, notoriously bad at simple math. It's not impossible to figure out but it's not simple like it should be and I know that there are people using the app that must be way dumber than me.

That said, even though this is the app thread I feel like this is a derail so there's no need to continue discussing it. I think it's a lovely app.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

You can also edit the item to include a gram measure.

How?

And yes I used Siri earlier to convert ounces to grams for me :3:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

Sorry, scroll to the bottom of the result list and add a new food. You might find it handy to just do this once for each of your regular foods and divide their calorie content by grams in a serving to get cals/gram and just work with that.

That's pretty much only one level above using a spreadsheet, though. Which is a thing you could also do.

Then I need to know the macros for the food I'm trying to input. Not everything you eat comes out of a box. I'm not trying to be combative but My Fitness Pal seems like it's supposed to be a fool proof, easy to understand and use type of app. If I eat a banana and want to log it I expect it to be as easy as typing banana, selecting it, and going on with my life. I think I'm actually ahead of the curve for having a food scale but the app seems to be condemning me for wanting to use precise calculation (I know about decimal/fraction inputs). The average user who doesn't have a food scale or ruler handy to measure the length of their banana is going to have an even harder time. Next time I eat a banana I'm going to mash it up and put it in my measuring cup to make it easier to log on MFP.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I used to post on YLLS all the time a few years back but now I'm older, lazier, and fatter. I know the importance of not overthinking but even if I want to get a base estimation of my calorie consumption (something I know I need to be better about) the app makes it difficult and does what every developer should hope to avoid - making me not want to use it at all. That's it. I'm sorry for the continued derail.

e: actually no - I have a legitimate app functionality complaint. That big PLUS sign at the bottom center of the app seems like the obvious "click here to add stuff" button. However, if I have something logged and I hit that to add food, select which meal it was part of (breakfast, snack, etc) and add food, it removes everything else I already had logged... what? That's loving stupid.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So MyPlate's website is dog poo poo and the app costs a buck. I wouldn't mind paying for a service that was easy and functional but if the web interface sucks why should I trust the app not to?

Fitday's site isn't so bad but the app is disgusting.

Looks like I'm sticking it out with MFP.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Photo editing all across the board is being a real pain in the dick for me right now.

I went to the beach earlier and took a panoramic photo. Trying to crop and adjust the orientation then transfer to VSCO results in just the original file being loaded. I had to email myself the edited photo from the Photos app then download it with Google Drive and then save it back to my phone again for changes to take effect. Then VSCO quits every time I try saving the further edited photo back into my Photos. Fine, so I'll just use the new iOS 8 photo editing tools, which are actually pleasantly robust. Ok so I go to give it a border in Squaready (from within the Photos app still since that's a feature now) and it's been sitting at the spinning loading wheel the entire time I've been typing this post.

This sucks.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

Not that this is going to help with your other problems but you can crop and adjust orientation in the VSCO app.

Aware. Unfortunately cropping in VSCO (as far as I know) forces you to keep a certain aspect. In the Photos app you can drag the box around to any shape you want.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm surprised no one has simply made a better weather widget by now. It doesn't take that much to build and could bring in the dollars.

You do it?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So.... if I want to have that Weather Underground widget in my NC but I also want a Today Summary I'm going to have a sentence telling me the weather no matter what, huh? That's hosed up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

No, you can turn off location services for the stock Weather app in settings to disable it.

Thanks. The tradeoff for that is asking Siri for the weather gives you a general response as opposed to specific location. That's fair I guess because WU gives you more detail anyway.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Facebook messenger quietly updated itself in between me going back and forth from that and other apps. I was taken aback for a second. It's really incredible how much better apps look when they're optimized for iPhone 6

• Locked thread