Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1Password 4 is out, $7.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not unless you jailbreak and even if you could JB I'm not sure there's an app for that (I know of the one that let's you choose the default browser so it shouldn't be too hard to make a map variation)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not really sure why I should upgrade to the new 1Password app. The feature its toting, the browser, already exists in the existing app.

It is much nicer now, especially on the iPad. But yeah if you're happy with the older version, there's no need to switch unless you want to ditch Dropbox.

If you only have the iPhone version it may also be worth picking it up now since its universal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was there at some point a universal 1Password? Because I thought I had that one since I downloaded it on my iPad and iPhone.

Yes, the pro version was universal. Before it was iPhone, iPad, and Pro versions but now they're just moving to one universal app. The iCloud snc is pretty nice in case you're the one person out there's that doesn't use Dropbox.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

maduin posted:

The worst part about the new 1Password app is that it requires my master password when iOS kills it in the background. The old version used the 4-digit pin you could set if you wanted it to, but the new one always reverts back to requiring the entire password.

The iPad one was always like this. Plus have you gone to settings and set up the quick unlock code + how long before it auto locks?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is there anything like AppShopper buy for iTunes Movies/TV Shows? I jumped ship to the iOS ecosystem but aside from a deal here and there keeping track of when movies go on sale is a pain in the rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sieg posted:

Thanks, I just spent $60 on that via Amazon.

Let us know how that works because it looks perfect for my car.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobfather posted:

3 months to update an app is too long. It's the only app on my iPhone 5 that isn't updated, and every other app I own was updated long before AppShopper was discontinued. That's a fact.

They're not exactly a big outfit. poo poo happens. Spotify took 2 months to update and that's an app you don't even "use". Google of all things took FOREVER to release an iPad version of YouTube even though they ha a perfectly capable updated iPhone version.

gently caress, you can just look up ioburns messages on the game thread, we had a appshopper discussion the day the app got pulled and he talked in details about the whole thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

japtor posted:

Edit: new app! THX tune-up, AV calibration thingy, works over AirPlay even. Free for a week before going up to $2.

This is pretty drat awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of photo streams, does Apple have any technical specs about it anywhere? The original photo stream is only your last 1000 photos. Do Shared Photostreams count as part of those 1000? Is it separate? How many can you have and do they expire/get deleted?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Shared streams don't count towards your thousand, they never get deleted, and as far as I'm aware there's no official cap.

Well I played around with shared streams and each stream has a 1000 photo limit but aside from that there doesn't appear to be a limit as to how many shared streams you can make.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Don't the photos still count against your iCloud storage limit?

Nope

"Link posted:

Summary
iCloud customers are provided with 5 GB of free cloud storage. Purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books, as well as photos in your Photo Stream don't count against your 5 GB of free storage.

iCloud backups do count. Same goes for any Pages/Numbers documents. The rest of your space is for any app that uses iCloud.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

You can also open your iCloud storage folder under OS X (and maybe Windows) to directly store whatever you want.

You need the iCloud control panel installed on windows but yeah you can manage your storage directly via it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rotaryfun posted:

My media volume is constantly resetting to full volume. I like having sound profiles for night/weekday/weekend volume.

I can't edit my alarms. I have to make new alarms if I want something different. My job requires that I have a flex schedule and as such I would end up with 20 different alarms.

Use Siri for alarms. Unless you set a recurring alarm, the alarm will turn off once it goes off. So just set an alarm for when you need one as the need comes up. If there isn't one, Siri will create one. If there is Siri will turn it on again. That said, you can edit and sort your alarms manually, but I find it easier to just have a base of recurring alarms for weekdays and weekends and everything else I turn on/off with Siri as needed.

iOS is limited in some aspects compared to android. The best thing you can do is adapt to how thing are rather than to try to get iOS to do something it doesn't.

(That said, iOS 7.0 better have profiles because god drat)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Siri is perfect for setting reminders when I'm pretty vague on when I want reminded. "Tomorrow afternoon" or "in around half an hour" are perfectly valid times to set reminders for.

I use reminders for just about everything, especially geo-fenced reminders. "When I leave here", "When I get to work", "When I'm home" are very drat useful. There's even some neat hidden functionality to some of them. Like "remind me to call X when I leave work". The reminder will automatically call X when you address the notification for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

busfahrer posted:

Great, I can see this leading to some very obsessive hoarding of apps that I will never ever even start.

FYI, once an app is in your account the free/$$$ button changes to "install" so you know you're good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the kawaiiest posted:

I've pretty much lost interest at this point. Uninstalled it a couple of days ago. I was still number 200,450 or something like that.

It seems to be going about 2-3k a day which is embarrassing when the current queue is over 800k.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Minidust posted:

Does Music.app have a habit of resetting your playlists, or is it just me? If I stop the music and do anything else, the next time I open the app it goes back to the beginning and re-plays songs in the same order. I mainly notice it if I shuffle a playlist in the car and make a few stops; I have to re-shuffle every time I resume.

It's been doing this since 6.0 and its annoying as all gently caress.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

supersteve posted:

What was the name of that email app that requires you to wait in line to download it?

Mailbox. It's magical*

*still in line.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PFlats posted:

Is there a better app for google voice than the official app? It's terrible about updating its badge/read status.

Unrelated: autocorrect capitalizes Home Depot but not google. Rivalry!

There were extensions for both texting and calling via Google Voice if you jailbroke the phone but they currently don't support iOS6. The developer is in the process of making them open source so someone else can bring them up to date but aside from that there's nothing better as far as support goes.

The extensions were really loving good and worth jailbreaking for if you use GV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the iPad it has IAP for configurable shortcuts and on-screen gamepad. And it's a monthly/yearly sub for the feature, not a one time purchase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remote access (from outside your network) is what was grandfathered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Thanks but I'm referring to pics/videos sent to me. Ifunbox seems to be the way to go.

If you have Dropbox, you can send any received video to the app and it'll upload/sync to your PC or you can set the dropbox app to import your camera roll whenever the app is opened. (It's how I grab all my shot from the phone)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Am I the only one that doesn't use weather apps? I have the notification center widget and that does enough of a job for me.

Then again, I live in Ohio so the weather is always poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

webmeister posted:

Be aware that editing google spreadsheets on mobile is absolutely horrible. Every time I've tried to do it I've given up in frustration.

Any kind of spreadsheet management on iOS is a pain in the rear end. Using forms on Numbers is the closet to not terrible but that always ends up eating up most/all if my formatting when I export back to Excel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iostream.h posted:

Does Passbook actually DO anything? I've got Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts apps (for example), I go in either of those places, nothing happens, it's just mystifying.

Unless the pass is get-fenced to your favorite location (Walgreens does this) it shouldn't do anything. You need to open it up and use it to scan your gift card or rewards card.

If its geo-fence, whenever you're near the place you'll get a notification you can open and it'll take you directly to the pass for it.

I mostly use it for that, pet smart, and boarding passes when flying. Not something I get daily use out of but really handy when I do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pipebomb posted:

I'm sure no one has asked this before so I will be the brave soul to do so.

Best comic reader? Prefer something that can sort intelligently, can read from Dropbox and is Universal.

Comic Zeal is the only one worth a drat, I think. ComicBookLover is free and may work for you if you don't want to spring the $5 for CZ.

Comixology is excellent if you want to switch to digital.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gariig posted:

Is there an easy way to copy photos from my Windows PC to my iPad without iTunes? I want to bring some photos on a trip to show the parents but I don't want to install iTunes just for that.

EDIT: I need them physically on the iPad because I won't have internet at some points. There's about a hundred so starring them in Dropbox won't do.

Look into iFunBox. I believe it lets you import export music, photos, ringtones and books (?) without the need for iTunes.

Also maybe not dropbox but any third party files app (I use Documents by Readle) lets you download entire folders from Dropbox or anywhere else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:siren: MS Office is out :siren:

(requires an Office 365 subscription)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wow gently caress I didn't even notice that (browsing on my iPhone). What's the loving point without iPad support? :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PaganGoatPants posted:

Office 365? Is that like Xbox Live or something?

It's their new pricing model. $99/year for access from 5 computers (pc/mac) and tablet/phones (no idea if tablets/mobile devices count). You also get 20 gigs on SkyDrive and like an hour of Skype calling / month. It also keeps up to date with Office so it isn't that bad a deal on paper? If they do an iPad app it's what I'll probably switch to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Are there any cloud based apps that showcase my photo library a little better than DropBox?

I started with a clean install with iOS 7 and I don't want to move all my photos from Dropbox to my phone's storage just so it's easier to navigate through thousands of photos. Bonus points if the app can just access my Dropbox and display photos from there.

Cloud based you won't do better (natively) than Photostreams. You can add to them on a PC/Mac and the photos will propagate to all your devices. The only drawback is that currently Photostreams will download every photo on every shared stream rather than simply keep them in the cloud until needed. I think it deletes/frees space should you need it. My shared streams have a little over 3000 photos not including the main "last 1000" Photostream and its taking around 2GB.

With iOS 7 allowing videos as well, I imagine Apple will have to address how Photostreams use device space.

Here's the current limits on Photostreams, straight from Apple:

quote:

Photo Stream upload limits

The Photo Stream limits below are established based on anticipated upload patterns. Currently, Photo Stream upload limits are as follows:

Uploads to My Photo Stream per hour: 1,000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per day: 10,000 photos
Uploads to My Photo Stream per month: 25,000 photos
If you exceed one of these limits, your uploads to Photo Stream will be paused temporarily and you may see a notification message on your device. Your uploads will resume automatically once you no longer exceed one of the limits (such as the following hour or day).

Shared Photo Stream limits

The current Shared Photo Stream hourly and daily limits are as follows:

Maximum number of photos to share per hour: 1,000
Maximum number of photos to share per day: 10,000
These sharing limits are separate from the upload limits above. For example, in the same day you could upload 10,000 photos to My Photo Stream and then share those 10,000 photos, or 10,000 other photos.

Some additional limits for Shared Photo Stream usage:

Maximum shared streams an owner can share: 100
Maximum shared streams a user can subscribe to: 100
Maximum subscribers per shared stream: 100 (the number of subscribers on each shared stream)
Maximum number of photos per shared stream: 1,000
Maximum number of comments per shared stream photo: 200 (a comment can be either a like or a text entry)
Maximum characters per comment: 200
Maximum number of invites a shared stream owner may send per day: 200
Notes:

There is no limit to the amount of photos you can upload to Photo Stream over longer periods (such as several months or years). Photos uploaded to Photo Stream are not counted against your iCloud Storage.

So I guess there's a current limit of 100,000 photos per account.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 8, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm not 100% how photostream is integrated on a mac, but in windows I install the iCloud Control Panel and it makes a folder similar to Dropbox where my photostream and shared streams are downloaded / synced. From there I can manage and upload to the stream on my PC and it propagateS to the rest of my devices thanks to the cloud.

So assuming iPhoto handles this function on the mac, yeah you should be able to do that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flickr?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crew Expendable posted:

How well do the native/online Apple iWork apps work? More specifically how well do they handle documents with weird formatting from the desktop version? I have a 365 subscription and the iOS Office app is terrible. It's basically just some glorified Word/PowerPoint/Excel viewer that you can only use to fix typos. It also screws up formatting if you open a Word file with anything "complicated"...like tables.

Pages and Numbers loving love eating up formatting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Recommendation for the best shopping list app?

Grocery Gadget is really good. Universal, syncs live as you're shopping, has a web portal for even easier entries. You can save by store, set weekly groceries. All around really loving awesome once you set it up.

Unrelated, but does anyone else here uses Documents by Readdle. For the longest time it's been my go-to PDF app in both phone and iPad. I use it almost daily to go over project specifications and the indexing / PDF search has been invaluable. However, since the last update or so indexing seems to be broken. On my phone it just doesn't index at all (stuck at procession 1 of X). On my iPad it says its all indexed but searches yield no results.

Is this happening to anyone else? Or is there a better PDF/Files apps available I can switch to? Preferably Universal if its paid (gently caress you, GoodReader)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 14, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that will backup your iPhone photos to a cloud backup service? My wife is pushing 20+GB of photos from the last 3 1/2 years of our kids and they're priceless to be honest. I have photostream turned on and most of them are on our home computer, but I'd like a backup solution that runs on the phone as well.

There's a iCloud utility for windows that lets you manage PhotoStream on your PC. You can create shared streams and upload to them and it'll propagate to your devices.

PhotoStream itself can handle 100,000 photos (100 shared streams with 1000 photos each) and you can share/comment on them between family (if they also have iOS devices).

With iOS 7, you can add videos to that.

The only (and very real) drawback is that on a device PhotoStream loves having a local cache of almost everything.

Otherwise I suggest Flickr (1TB of space) which has a phone app.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like I was somewhat wrong about PhotoStream. It's actually 500,000 pictures it can hold

quote:

Some additional limits for shared photo stream usage:

Maximum shared streams an owner can share: 100
Maximum shared streams a user can subscribe to: 100
Maximum subscribers per shared stream: 100 (the number of subscribers on each shared stream)
Maximum number of photos per shared stream: 5000
Maximum number of comments per shared stream photo: 200 (a comment can be either a Like or a text entry)
Maximum characters per comment: 200
Maximum number of invites a shared stream owner may send per day: 200

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

No, I just presumed safari wouldn't have. Basically Id need to be able to pull them off a website and then upload the commented papers. I will check out the good reader option! Thanks!

I'm really confused but you can:
1. Open word file PDF on chrome/safari on your iPad.
2. Take that file and move it to Pages or whatever app you're using to edit.
3. Once you're done with it, you can export to another app like Google Drive.

Documents by Readle is also an excellent choice and it's what I use for work. You can link cloud services to it (Dropbox, Google, skydrive) and access them from the app itself. You can also set up 2-way syncing so i just keep the project folder for whatever I'm working on synced with my phone and iPad and work from either device. poo poo stays synced and at the end of the day I can either make final edits on my work laptop or email straight from the iPad.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The update to Pages and Numbers is amazing. Whatever they did in regard to formatting and exporting back to a Word/Excel document addressed every issue I had in the past. I can now actually do reports and work on my iPad without having to gently caress around fixing everything at the end of the day.

I'd still like to see a proper Office port for iOS. The lovely iPhone app doesn't count.

• Locked thread