Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003
A few more application suggestions, maybe:

Languages - This is a really cheap ($.99) offline translation application that also looks good.

Due - My favorite reminder app. It's $4.99, and not quite as creative as Clear, but really straight forward and cleanly designed. There's also a Mac app that syncs with it.

Check the Weather - My favorite weather app at the moment. It's fully featured and well-designed. It also has Dark Sky's short-term weather radar built into the app. ($1.99)

Recall - This is an app for jotting down movie, tv, and music (among other things) recommendations. ($2.99)

Squarespace Note - Really nicely designed, gesture driven note taking app. Syncs with Dropbox, Evernote, Squarespace, or other services. It's also free.

Launch Center Pro - This app is a bit hard to explain. It's sort of like a springboard inside of your springboard. You can create a ton of shortcuts for things like calling/texting/emailing a certain person or opening apps to perform certain actions. Disclaimer: I feel like this should be ridiculously useful, but I have a hard time remembering to use it. ($4.99)

Edit:
Handoff is a pretty useful app as well. It uses a browser extension to send pages from your Mac or PC to your iOS device.

Delivery Status - If you buy a lot of stuff online, Star Wars Sex Parrot pretty much demands that you buy and use this.

Articles - This is the universal version (an iPhone only version is available for $2.99), but this is the best (subjective) Wikipedia app for iOS out there. It just looks great.

maduin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The desktop versions of 1Password haven't been upgraded to 4 yet. Anyone know if that causes a problem? i.e. does running 4 on my iPhone and 3 on my Mac (linked with Dropbox) cause any problems?

Nah, it works fine, but 1Password 4 isn't really anything special.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes, the pro version was universal. Before it was iPhone, iPad, and Pro versions but now they're just moving to one universal app. The iCloud snc is pretty nice in case you're the one person out there's that doesn't use Dropbox.

The worst part about the new 1Password app is that it requires my master password when iOS kills it in the background. The old version used the 4-digit pin you could set if you wanted it to, but the new one always reverts back to requiring the entire password.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The iPad one was always like this. Plus have you gone to settings and set up the quick unlock code + how long before it auto locks?

Yeah, I've messed with the various settings extensively. The Android version always required the master password too, but my universal version of 1Password 3.x definitely lets me unlock it with only the 4-digit unlock code by turning off auto-lock.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Here's a bit of a curve ball: is there a way to watch a live video feed from an iOS device camera on a TV? I have access to a Xbox 360.

I think you can do this but it requires an Apple TV for Airplay.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Google Now is actually really amazing if you're heavily invested in Google's products (Gmail, Calendar, Search, etc)

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

So does that Gmusic app for for Google Music All Access?

No app supports all access yet. They claim they're submitting/submitted an update this weekend that supports it though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
GMusic just updated with all-access support. It works, but it's not nearly as good as rdio or Spotify. People were asking about using Google's all access a few pages ago though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I literally have a folder filled with weather apps on my phone, but the one I use on my home screen is the forecast.io web app. There's nothing I've found that is as good.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The Apple blogs are all going crazy about Vesper, a new notes app by Dave Wiskus, Brent Simmons, and John Gruber.

It's actually really clean and well-designed. It won't replace Evernote, but it looks great for taking quick notes.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Does anyone know a simple app that can sync Outlook/Exchange notes? There are a bunch on Android, but someone asked me about one for iOS and I don't actually have an iOS device to check it out on.

I don't use it, but can't the default notes app do this?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's their new pricing model. $99/year for access from 5 computers (pc/mac) and tablet/phones (no idea if tablets/mobile devices count). You also get 20 gigs on SkyDrive and like an hour of Skype calling / month. It also keeps up to date with Office so it isn't that bad a deal on paper? If they do an iPad app it's what I'll probably switch to.

It's an even better deal for .edu accounts. A 4-year subscription is $80.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

petewhitley posted:

It sounds like the developer is offering it free for awhile as a concession due to Google Reader shutting down and his not having all three platforms sorted out in terms of features/parity. Presumably it'll go back to paid once the Mac/iPad 2.0 versions are released and everything falls into place.

I'm actually going to guess he'll release a completely new app and charge everyone again rather than just update the existing app. Not that that's really wrong, since it's a pretty huge update.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I've used Instapaper for a long time and still do (one of my most used apps), but I'm not sure I'd start using it today if I weren't already now that Marco Arment has sold it on, and its future is a bit uncertain. Especially given the cost.

On the other hand - it is actually a sustainable business unlike some VC-funded thing that they'll eventually tire of pouring money into.

At this point Instapaper is being run by the same people running Digg and I have no idea how they plan to sustain a business without turning to ridiculous advertising. I was a hardcore Instapaper user but would never recommend someone buy it at this point.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'd like to sort entries into ordered lists under customizable categories and be able to search them. Notes doesn't order your entries, and Evernote seems a little overpowered and complicated for my purpose.
Frankly I didn't have a feature list in mind; I just figured there'd already be a specialized app out there with a bunch of useful functions I hadn't thought of, since that's how I started using most of my productivity apps. But yeah I get that this is a pretty weird request :v:

OneNote? I've been using OneNote over Evernote for the past month or so and it's actually really good.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rocks posted:

I see Orchestra is shutting down. Anyone know of any good basic to do apps with collaborative functions? My wife and I used orchestra quite a bit to assign daily chores, etc. Thanks!

Wunderlist?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

trilljester posted:

I use AnyList, and it works fairly well too.

Still holding out for a grocery store app that allows me to not only categorize items by what department they are in, but the actual aisle they are located in my local store. That way I can sort by aisle and be far more efficient.

My girlfriend and I use AnyList too, and you're right, it's pretty decent. I hate that there isn't a better native list solution (just jam it all in notes!!!), but whatever, I guess.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

1st AD posted:

Is there a good Google Play Music app? As far as I can tell, the only ones out there are glorified browsers with the ability to play music in the background, don't support All Access, or both.

Not really. The best one I've found is Cloud Play. Google really needs to stop loving around and release an official app though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

OGB posted:

I think this is one of those instances where he's just building an app that interests him, but may also have some cross-over for others. I'm at the least willing to see what he does differently, but considering I have Downcast on my iOS devices AND Mac now, it's going to take quite a bit to pull me away.

He'll charge $10 for it and it'll have half the features. It'll look nice though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What happened to bbm??

It got Blackberried.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Does Pages allow commenting and preservation of them on export? If so, then that would be a fantastic solution. I didn't think it did that.

edit: According to this page, it doesn't: http://www.apple.com/apps/iwork/pages/compatibility.html

I am intending to use this for grading papers. Reading them, applying comments, and then saving and sending them to the students.

Pages has a track changes feature, yes.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

online posted:

Is OmniFocus really worth it?

Only if you're nuts about GTD.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can you add your own recipes from scratch on it? That's my issue right now is that most let you add them from websites or cookbooks or some poo poo, but not your own.

I have very specific ways I make certain breads and sauces and they aren't on generic recipe lists or websites.

I use Basil and love it, but I've heard good things about Paprika as well.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Tapbots wrote a blog today about the state of their apps on iOS 7, Tweetbots been submitted to the app store completely rebuilt from the ground up for iOS 7 apparently. Hopefully they don't but I have a weird feeling they may charge again for this app. Surely they won't.

http://tapbots.com/blog/business/tapbots-and-the-state-of-our-apps-in-ios7

That looks a lot like 'hey guys, we didn't update poo poo for a year, but now we need you to buy our new app so here's an excuse! We promise we didn't abandon everything!' to me.

I'm sure their new version will be nice, but if they're going to charge again (and I'd bet whatever the cost of Tweetbot is they will), I'll stick with Twitterific.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

terriyaki posted:

Wow the new Twitter app sucks. My timeline is full of reply, retweet and favourite buttons.

Twitter has turned their app into a giant piece of poo poo, and anyone who likes the service should be terrified of them destroying that too. They seemingly have no vision of what the future looks like.

And Fantastical 2 is amazing--Flexibits is one of the best developers that exists right now both on iOS and OSX.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Scanner Pro, but has anyone tried this?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I am legit mad that apps require accounts. Like sure facebook, but a medidation app? That was the latest one that wanted me to create an account. Passwords aren't free don't they realise?

1Password creates free passwords for me all the time! And my lovely @yahoo.com email address that I never check is maintained by Yahoo for free too!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Google finally updated Drive for iOS 7 support, single sign on for all other Google apps, air print, google cloud print, etc.

Finally!

Now if they'd release their stupid Google Music app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Despoiler posted:

Thanks for the tips - I didn't want to use evernote since it seemed far too cumbersome for what I need. I ended up doing a bit of research and sound Simplenote. It's basically Evernote but only plain text, and the sync is practically instant to my ipad.

The new Simplenote is great and absolutely the best text-only note solution.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

Do the amazon and eBay icons also piss you off? How about Facebook and it's giant F? Or google and it's giant g in everything?

Amazon's icons are all terrible (Store, Kindle, Cloud Drive, Music, and Instant Video), but I think the new Mint icon stands out because of how well they do design regarding all other aspects of the app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Google Play Music more like Spotify where I pay :10bux: a month to listen to any music, or iTunes Radio/Pandora where I can only make music stations but not directly play a song?

It's Spotify with the added ability of uploading 20,000 of your own songs. It's actually a pretty good service--better than Spotify and Rdio, I'd say.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PFlats posted:

"Let's put 256 MB of RAM in our premier tablet. That's more than enough to support our future development!" - Apple, 2010.

But yeah it is pretty lovely of Netflix to drop support already.

To be fair, it's a $500 computer and it's lasted 3 years. Might just be time to upgrade.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Jolan posted:

Doesn't Apple care about this dickery happening to their customers? I'm a lot less likely to pay for anything else on the App Store right now because of this.

Are you serious? It's like $2 and you're supporting a developer of an app you're actively using.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Jolan posted:

Not all apps are priced that low, and even if they are, it's the principle of the thing. Pulling an app so people have to buy it again without any prior notice or significant changes to the software is a con. It's implied that you don't just buy a single release of an app, you buy future support with it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess there were major feature changes or a complete app redesign for iOS 7 and you're making poo poo up to support your original complaint. This is also why so many developers are moving/have moved to subscription models.

And yeah, what app is this?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Goodreader updated. I'm not sure if everyone has replaced it with PDF Expert 5 or Documents, but it seems to at least be working right again.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Finally! That icon was hideous. Is it still the best PDF reader?

Sorry to disappoint, but the icon is still hideous.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

priznat posted:

It's definitely an ad put there by google, and not an email:

I am familiar with the promotions folder etc, this is something new and suckier. Perhaps it is just being rolled out?

If this is something they're actually rolling out, gently caress the Gmail app. This plus the precedent set by the Google+ poo poo makes me feel like I need to look for a new email provider.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Set gmail to forward all mail to an @me.com address. Get push and the native experience.

The problems begin when you heavily rely on Gmail labels and filters. I really don't like the direction Google is trending, but I'm so invested in my Gmail account that it makes it incredibly difficult to switch to anything else.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

Twitterific is better than Tweetbot because.....

Universal app.

(I still use the new Tweetbot on my iPhone though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Good because I know they charge money but if they don't make enough I'm going to have to go through all the heartache again to find a good RSS reader. Feedbin is basically exactly google reader -- so it's perfect.

Yeah, I've used Feedbin since Reeder first supported it and it's really fantastic. I know a lot of people use that Feed Wrangler service too, but Feedbin has always been great for me.

• Locked thread