Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
If anyone reads the OP after about a week my mind will be completely blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Butt Savage posted:

Here's an interesting mail app that might be able to replace Sparrow for many users. Still unreleased, though.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/

Doesn't it bug the poo poo out of people that Mail.app still gets used for default mail stuff? I don't know.. for me the built in app performs well enough for me not to implement multiple solutions.

Sometimes I wish iOS had the Android approach to default apps. One of the few things I actually like about Android.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kheldarn posted:

So, hey, just realized that my town uses TransLoc for their city bus system. I've been using a Safari bookmark on my iPod's homescreen for the bus I ride, and paid no attention to anything else.

Today, while waiting for the bus, I started looking around, and saw there was a link for the TransLoc app.

The reviews seem to be mixed, so I'm not sure if I should I get it, or not.

I can understand your apprehension to try a free application.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Bus route finders/stop predictors aren't really something you can take for a spin any given 5 minutes of the day like a note-taking or weather app and decide whether it's worth your time or not. You need a big sample size - some bus lines could be notoriously off schedule whereas others are always on the dot, and your never near more than a few stops at again given time. It's not an unreasonable question to ask due to the time it takes to find out if the app is worth future use.

It's pretty drat easy to take it for a spin. You look up the bus time on the site and on your phone. Verify this a few times then start using it. This is how I've done it in the "dark ages" when I didn't come to SA to ask first.

But since the app is using the same service the bus system uses both times will be the same. Not a whole lot of risk involved here.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Even real-time bus apps can be wrong, but that's more the fault of the bus company than it is the app maker. (I'm looking at you, First Leeds and your phantom buses).

No doubt that is true but like you said, it doesn't really have anything to do with the app. If they're not going to post their times correctly then it's a crapshoot no matter what method you use.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Virtue posted:

I've become partial to having a text document open on my computer screen that has to do notes on it and was wondering if there was any app that would allow instant synchronization between computer and device? For example, if I added a note from my device I'd like it to automatically appear on my computer screen and if I mark the item as done on my computer I'd like it to also be marked as done on my device.

I do this with Microsoft OneNote. Their iOS app is free and I got office 2010 and 2013 through work for $10 a pop so it worked out.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

NZP posted:

Idea for an app, I want to know if it exists.

It basically allows you to specify when your phone goes from silent to not silent. Could this be done?

No, not in an App Store app. Your best option for that would be the limited functionality that exists in DnD.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
poo poo is like hoarders digital edition. Once your purchases tab gets so full of complete garbage you never had any intention of using but got "just in case" that it stutters to open sucks to actually use for its intended function because you can't find anything we should send a crew out to your home to document the struggles.

It's good enough TV for A&E. Worse case TLC will put just about anything on the air.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In case you didn't know, you can use the Hide Purchases function in (computer) iTunes to remove stuff from your Purchased/Music/Apps/etc. lists.

Since I never use my computer to manage stuff I did not realize this. Thank goodness. Now I can go purchase every single free app on the appstore without fear.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kingnothing posted:

I'm almost positive what's app is absolutely perfect for this, it just needs to be tied to a phone number.

Yes Whatsapp is pretty much what you want.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

The Reeder twitter account merely stated "Reeder won't die with Google Reader".

I already use Fever with Reeder. It's okay. I think the app needs work but it's a good alternative to Google Reader

http://www.feedafever.com/

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hedgecore posted:

Enjoy! Any feedback is appreciated, and please pass it along to your friends if you like it.
I mean I don't think I need to say "it's lacking" quite a bit in terms of content but.. the one functional/UX thing I noticed.

While I was in Honolulu I pulled up the app and it only had two listings from Hawaii in general. After it started showing me results for stuff in LA and SF. I was kind of like "uhhh I don't really care about stuff 1600 miles away"

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Does iTeleport support RDP? I'd like to use remote desktop on my Win8 Pro machine without having to install more software.
Why not just use the RDP client from MS?
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Raveyyy posted:

According to their app store description it is does.

Isn't that just for OSX and not IOS?

Really thought I was in the OS X thread. When I saw Mini my mind went to MacMini.

EDIT: Wow iTeleport is expensive. I know I used Remote Desktop - RDP in the past before moving over to LogMeIn for everything.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 28, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Is there a decent maps app that DOESN'T do turn-by-turn? I really hate the drain of turn-by-turn.

Google Maps does not force you to turn on the navigation portion. You can simply look at the directions if that's your thing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

It's also the easiest way to record everything you do on the internet into a database that is sold to anyone willing to pay. Every time you see a 'like' button on a webpage somewhere, Facebook recorded you loading that page.

Granted, you don't actually need a Facebook account for them to do this. Even people not signed in will get recorded and tucked away somewhere.

True as that may be, at the end of the day, how is this actually doing anything to me?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Question about PaperKarma:

If I get unsolicited mail from my insurance provider (USAA) and I process it through PaperKarma, will it also keep me from getting mail I actually want from them?

You can add yourself to the Do Not Call/Do Not Solicit national registry and most reputable companies will stop mailing you unless you have secretly gave them permission to do so in some kind of crappy legal declaration that no one reads.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Peacebone posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that makes it so you are locked into one app? Company has an ipad as a user interface with software and we don't want customers fiddling with any other apps except for the one currently on the screen.

That's not possible for an App to do. What you want to use is called Guided Access.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#accessibility

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

Google Now for iOS has just dropped!

Just need to get a Jailbreak to integrate into iOS now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
There's also Last.fm right? I think they do Radio type stuff no?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FlashBangBob posted:

Click the Home + Lock buttons at the same time to take a screenshot of whatever is on your screen. The image goes into your camera roll.

You can then use that to set it to your home screen or whatever.

Getting data on your lock screen, however, is no go. That is just to get the image if you dig the image.

Pretty much the worst workaround suggestion I've ever heard someone throw out there. In fact it doesn't even make sense. Why would someone want to see a static picture of what the weather was at some point when they likely already know because they took a picture of it then took the time to set it as a lock screen image...?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

empty baggie posted:

There have been similar locks on the market for a while now. Been wanting to pick one up but really can't justify the purchase.

Would be nice for someone with a vacation home or rental and such, but for my wife and I, it would be just another expensive gimmick to show off and really has no practical purpose.

Which one is actually out? The only other one I know like this is Lockitron but it isn't shipping yet.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Fatrick posted:

Is there a way for me to transfer all of my apps to my computer prior to a restore? I have a handful of my apps in iTunes, but there's a bunch that I've paid for that aren't showing up there that I would like to not pay for again. Syncing doesn't seem to do anything.

Do a restore to the computer.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

uh zip zoom posted:

i need a good email client, something that will work with multiple accounts. Is there a better choice than the native email client that comes with iOS?

What aren't you getting out of the iOS email client that is prompting you look for an alternative?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

smackfu posted:

iOS Reeder is now free, down from $2.99.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder/id325502379?mt=8

Not sure why. What's the business model then? Maybe they are going to make the next version a new app that everyone will need to buy again?

I'm not sure. Did the same thing on OsX a few months ago. I thought like you is that it probably indicated a new version that required rebuying.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Hate reading on iPhone/Pad compared to Kindle/Sony Reader. It's not even like my eyes get all tired or anything it's just that the kindle is nice and light and pleasing on the eyes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Plex can be used the same way as AirVideo except it offers even more functionality. The free service will do all you need except the iOS app is $5

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JHVH-1 posted:

I thought plex might allow sharing the music but it only lets you access pictures and video between devices. You would need a central server to keep your stash of tunes.

Somewhat confused what you mean here... Were you thinking via the plexapp that your songs from one phone or machine would automatically work on another machine and neither of them was the plex server?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vegetable posted:

Are there apps where you can store and have easy access to a list of words and expressions? My current solution is to use BiteSMS to message myself. Takes all of two actions, but it's kinda makeshift. A bunch of dictionary apps have bookmark features but I'd rather have something tailored to my purpose.

Like the keyboard shortcuts built into the phone?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vegetable posted:

No, like an app that's just a word bank. You can store words or phrases in it for easy reference.

Notes?!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

th3t00t posted:

Is there an app or work around for having to enter your apple ID/password for every free app you download?

Not outside of jailbreaking.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Slid Zion posted:

Iīm trying to figure out netflix and airplay on iPad. Please tell that netflix hasīt implemented airplay in their app, otherwise it would be a disastrous hit to my self confidence :/ How do i solve this?

Curious what you would be air playing to that didn't already have a Netflix app.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Ha, no, but our dress code at the office is very lax in that there is none. During the winter one guy wore the same pair of red sweatpants five days in a row.

Your coworker is pretty gross.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

Welcome to software. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Mad Men.

I work in IT. I can work from home every single day of the week if I choose. I'd still change my clothes with more regularity than every FIVE days.

Work with plenty of weirdos and nerds and none of them are THAT dirty.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

echinopsis posted:

Just get better. I don't know why you don't just get better

I'm not sure what other advice you could really give for that. Stop being a baby? Learn how to type? Shut up? Yes it's going to take time (potentially lots!) to type better if you're used to something else. I know I can type fast on my phone though and without looking. I know most all the common words it will correct and the ones it won't or the ones I'll need to fix before I even get to the autocorrect point. Though sometimes it predicts my stuff well in advance. I did this all by getting better and practicing. Not trying to cheat the system because there is no way to do that.

I guess you could make a million little keyboard shortcuts and teach yourself a shorthand language which in turn would make you a terrible type again the first time you went to a new system which did not use keyboard shortcuts.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If I temporarily delete my facebook profile, will I still be able to use the iOS facebook messenger app?

How do you propose that would even work? I'm not sure you should use Apple Maps.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for an app which would let me keep a categorized list of different beers I have tried, and notes about them. Preferably with some sort of form input where I could put things like ABV as well.

I've been looking for this for awhile too. Considered just making it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Question Mark Mound posted:

So when did pretty much every YouTube downloader app disappear from the App Store or stop working? Setting up an iPad for a friend and can't seem to find this free one that another friend uses called ProTube.

As the other poster said. This never existed in App Store. I doubt that type of app would even be allowed in Play Store.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why does that matter?

I want him to say because he won't always have access to a network so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

DarkJC posted:

It doesn't use MMS, you just need WiFi. They have an app you can download.

and email... and you could always do SMS through Google Voice? I only feel half satisfied with his answer. It's close to what I wanted him to say.

• Locked thread