Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The Twitch app is pretty much horrible, if its not showing a black screen on the iPad it's locked to iphonehigh or iphonelow resolution which always looks horrible, it's a shame. So I've taken to using Splashtop to stream the video from my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
So are there any apps that take advantage of the M7 in the 5S to make it work like a fitbit, track steps etc?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yep my 18 month old even though he doesn't understand the words yet loves Endless Alphabet. Any other young toddler suggestions?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Tapbots wrote a blog today about the state of their apps on iOS 7, Tweetbots been submitted to the app store completely rebuilt from the ground up for iOS 7 apparently. Hopefully they don't but I have a weird feeling they may charge again for this app. Surely they won't.

http://tapbots.com/blog/business/tapbots-and-the-state-of-our-apps-in-ios7

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah I called that it was going to be a new app. Oh well, already bought it, it's nice though I wish it had a dark theme, it's quite bright.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

Does the new Tweetbot still include the gesture where you can swipe to see a conversation? They only showed "swipe for details" in their demo video.

I swipe and it shows me a conversation and whose replied to that tweet just like it used to.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Landscape mode?

It doesn't appear to have one. Media appears in landscape if you rotate the device but the Twitter stream itself does nothing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

DarkJC posted:

The new Tweetbot is much better than Twitterific, in my opinion. This is from someone who has been using Twitterific in place of the old Tweetbot. The screenshots don't do it justice, it's probably the best iOS 7 app so far.

Yep it's taking me a little while to get used to it but it's growing on me very quickly it pretty much is the perfect iOS 7 app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hate it. Where is the triple tap?! Too many circles, no landscape mode, too bright, don’t need to see verified ticks beside every account. Awful. Why the gently caress has this app forced out twitter pics into these ridiculous little circles?!

A single tap does everything a triple tap used to do doesn't it?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

phosdex posted:

Why don't they just make them free period? I got them free on my new macbook but on my 4s they are still marked as 9.99.

It might have something to do with accounting practices, kind of like how they used to charge for iPod Touch updates. I'm completely guesstimating though.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

The Batman posted:

Came here to post this info as well. Finally a Stabucks free app I'd been wanting. Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded the Starbucks app but I don't see anyway of getting Dark Sky, any ideas?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5106398/google-play-music-app-arrives-on-iphone-but-wont-let-you-buy-songs

Google Play Music is now available for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-play-music/id691797987?ls=1&mt=8

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 15, 2013

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Accipiter posted:

More App codes for you folks. This is for Big Lens. I've played with it and it's pretty neat.

As always, please post a reply mentioning which code you've taken. You guys have been good about this as of late, so let's keep it that way. Makes things easier for everyone.

R9MK9TAX44AT

Thank ya! I took this one.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

DarkJC posted:

I wouldn't say it's old and busted. The graphical style is outdated but the app works great.

Pretty much how I feel exactly. And I still think Tweetbot is the best Twitter app you can get on any platform.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone tried connecting something like a ps3 controller to it? Not sure if that works or not.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Accipiter posted:

Free App time came back quick this time. As always, if you take a code, reply telling everyone which code you took.

Polymer

TPFA37HA4LX3

Took that one! Thank you!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yep, wife and I use one iTunes account to share apps but she has her own iCloud account from mine for backups, iMessaging etc.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Aggro posted:

Am I a stupid gently caress, or did the most recent Facebook update eliminate the option to sort my news feed by Most Recent? Because if so, holy poo poo. That completely ruins the app.

So it's completely buried now. Click more in the bottom right, then scroll all the way down to feeds, press the arrow down next to feeds and most recent will be mixed somewhere inside there.

loving ridiculous, I don't want to see the same 4 stories from the past week Facebook thinks I want to see, I just want the newest poo poo all the time.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone been having issues with the YouTube app excessively buffering lately? I'm noticing it on iPad and it'll jump from 1080p to 240p back and forth every few minutes.

My internet connection is fine and desktop YouTube has no issues.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 17, 2014

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Is the latest update to the podcast app a disaster for everyone? For me it crashes after a few seconds or if I try to do something wild like play a podcast or try to refresh the feeds.

Buy Pocket Casts.

Problem Solved.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Valencia posted:

Anybody else with Tweetbot having that issue where it doesn't notify you of mentions/messages? Just popped up for me in the last few hours.

Paul from Tapbots said it's a known issue and they are looking into it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Does anyone else have issues with the Gmail app just not sending notifications after a while? It's happened a few times too me now where I'll have the app installed for a month or two and it will just stop notifying me. All my settings are still the same and I can still access my mail fine but it only fixes itself when I delete and re-install the app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

AXE COP posted:

Anyone know of any decent alternatives to the official youtube app?

Alternatively, has anyone else been having issues with the app that they managed to solve? Mine has been acting weirdly different recently (can't tap side tabs like the subscriptions screen again to refresh them, and more importantly I can no longer expand a channels full list of playlists by tapping on the header, which means like 90% of their vids are inaccessible now) and I can't figure out if it's the result of an app update or a setting somewhere or what.

Since an update a month or two ago mine constantly switches resolutions and it's driving me insane. So I've switched to Jasmine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I think the Youtube app gets shittier every time I open it. A couple months ago it started switching resolutions in video on me every 5 minutes or so and now when I launch the subscriptions tab it shows me the last 2-4 videos each individual sub has put out, I just want the videos my subs have put out in the order they were put out. Blagh.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
https://overcast.fm

Marco Arment finally released his Podcast app to destroy all other podcast apps. I am interested in two features:

Smart Speed shortens silences. Playing at faster speeds has always helped people make time to hear more podcasts, but it usually came at the expense of sound quality and intelligibility. Smart Speed is like getting another speed increment for free: it saves time without sounding weird.

Voice Boost is a combination of dynamic compression and equalization that can make many shows more listenable and normalize volume across all shows. This makes amateur-produced podcasts (including many of my favorites) more listenable in loud environments, like cars, where you’d otherwise need to crank the volume so loudly to hear the quiet parts that you’d blow your ears out when the loudest person spoke.

----

I doubt I'll give up Pocket Casts but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Looks like the extra features are a $4.99 IAP while the base app is free. I just paid so I'll report back on how it is.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2014

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
The last post in this thread's been messing up for me all day.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is a good app to receive severe weather alerts? I have the weather channel app and it comes up with notifications but they do not make a sound. I am looking for something that will alert me in the middle of the night.

I live in Oklahoma so we kind have the cream of the crop in sever weather stuff but even then all the local news station apps have features for us that will alert you to any kind of warning you'd ever want. The best one I've used is based on this weather radio app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I'm watching this page, and checking the links to see when the apps populate.

http://www.thetechgadget.com/best-third-party-keyboards-ios-8-try/

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Oh my god, Swiftkey is just amazing on iPhone. It's so so so fast.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
In my keyboards settings area I dragged the Swiftkey keyboard above the other ones and now it seems to be default for everything.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Hmm my keyboard likes to default back to the standard one.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Riven posted:

Trying SwiftKey in safari and the enter key chooses your phrase, it doesn't tell the browser to go to the web page. So type in arstechnica.com and hit enter and it just adds a space. That needs to be fixed.

Press it twice.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
3rd Party keyboards are pretty funny acting at times. I had sent an iMessage to my wife a few minutes before using Swiftkey with no problems. So I switched over to Twitter and was replying to someone and the keyboard appeared but nothing happened whatsoever when I tapped on the keyboard. Didn't work in Spotlight, Facebook, etc. Boggled my mind for quite some time, my wife replied back to me so I switched back to messages and there was everything I had typed in other apps in the text input field of messages waiting to be sent. Somehow the keyboard was stuck in messages.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Is there anyway in swift key to get voice dictation to work?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Well, the people reporting keyboard issues are the ones with the new phones. The keyboard app developers wouldn't have had access to the 6 and 6 Plus, so it's entirely possible that the issues are stemming from the new screen sizes.

Not true, I had issues with Swiftkey on the 5S as well. And it definitely seems to be issues with how Apple is giving the apps access. Sometimes they don't seem to know if they have access or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

*tumbleweed blows by the Facebook app*

Honestly, how the hell does this happen, Facebook. You are literally in the OS. You're in the drat OS.

What's sad is the Facebook app got an updated today. Just not a good one.

• Locked thread