Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BlancoNino posted:

It's hard to tell without seeing it, but there are basics. You want to pull yourself into the wall more than you'd like. It's not a campus move, really use your legs, your arms are to guide your body. And try to use both hands to grab the target hold, it's better for your shoulders. It also stops you from still holding the start with one of your hands.

Yea, hard to say without seeing the problem in question but generally "get closer to the wall than is naturally comfortable" is probably good advice. That's exactly what someone at my gym said to me on a recent dyno that I knew I was more than physically capable of doing, but couldn't seem to stick it -- and then I did it once they told me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Other tips that helped me a lot with dynos. I used to be horrendous and am now decent.

In most cases, jump higher/further than you think you need. Basically don't aim to catch stuff with your hands, aim to get it with your teeth (don't actually catch it with your teeth though).

This is not always true, but often you need to pull really hard as soon as you catch the hold (try to do a pull-up basically). This will help you control the swing and not slip out.

In general, you need to jump "into the wall" when you dyno and that's really not natural and can be scary at first. It makes a huge difference. Basically get your hips away from the wall when you're in the "down" position before the jump and get yourself toward the wall as you're jumping.

Also something that helped me a whole lot was to do a few goes where I don't even try to catch the hold. I'll just jump as "high" as I can and try to see where my hands can go in relation to the hold and try to see what's the best way to swing/jump, etc.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

(don't actually catch it with your teeth though)

This is also exceptionally good advice

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
almost everything you do during a dyno is moving you away from the wall and towards the ground so you need to make sure you have enough velocity both towards the wall (scary) and towards the ceiling (normal) to compensate for the hang time. for instance, dynos where you run along a volume require you to actually fling yourself at the wall to some extent, because every step you take along the volume is going to push you away and you usually wanna travel approximately parallel to the wall as you do it

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I heard a funny thing at the climbing gym yesterday, there’s one climb that a few people were struggling to do, then this guy just came along and smashed it but then someone took the piss out of him and said "we’re in Cornwall mate, we dont accept the London match" so had to do it again. That is when you reach the top hold with one hand then just touch your arm with the other hand to match instead of touching the hold

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Salisbury Snape posted:

That is when you reach the top hold with one hand then just touch your arm with the other hand to match instead of touching the hold

What the gently caress is this bullshit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean, I'm on the opposite side of the pond but I've never heard of that. It's not a finish unless you actually match the hold :colbert:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Just lol if you can’t tell if someone finished a climb or not. You can pretty easily tell if matching is hard at the end of the climb - sounds like trolling to me

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Just lol if you care if someone else finished a climb or not

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ploots posted:

Just lol if you care if someone else finished a climb or not

If it's someone you don't know, 100% let them do their own thing. If it's someone in your crew, or someone you don't really know but you've been projecting with for the session, 100% give them poo poo for every little dab. (Edit: unless they're new/newish. New folks get a pass.)

armorer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 27, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

armorer posted:

If it's someone you don't know, 100% let them do their own thing. If it's someone in your crew, or someone you don't really know but you've been projecting with for the session, 100% give them poo poo for every little dab. (Edit: unless they're new/newish. New folks get a pass.)

Honestly people starting to jokingly give me poo poo more instead of being only verbally supportive was one of the main ways I realized I was getting better

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

It was something witnessed and overheard, nothing to do with me, just to clarify. Although I've been on the receiving end of some sledging where no one saw me complete a climb so had to do it again with a witness for my own sanity. :smith:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bro you totally didn't send the yellow one on the north/north east corner of the blue/grey wall... it is the gym. no one cares unless it is a comp.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Aside from the London match there’s also the “French Start”, which I think I actually see much more often here in London.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well now you got to tell us what it is....

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My guess is that it's how I boulder: barely touch the start hold and kinda bump to the next eaiser hold instead of doing the first move

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Slimy Hog posted:

My guess is that it's how I boulder: barely touch the start hold and kinda bump to the next eaiser hold instead of doing the first move

Yep! It’s when you don’t actually fully control the start holds but just use them to push yourself straight up to the next one.

Apparently called that because there are a few problems in Fontaineblue that are impossible otherwise.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Gonna start dropping that "London Match" line down the wall. They'll love it out here in the provinces.
"French free" is a good outdoors disparagement. In payback I think they refer to a route in the Chamonix aiguilles as the "dortoir anglais" because so many used to get benighted on it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You guys ever just like toe hook your pet?

Standing in front of the stove cooking, need to lean over to grab a spice out of the cabinet and just tuck your foot under your dog's belly while they're standing next to you or whatever for a lil counter balance?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

1) I got the dyno. It was a BIG BOY dyno and Im very proud of myself! Rest of the climb was ez.

2) I want to upgrade my shoes soon, and am looking for good resources. I keep seeing a lot of La Sportiva and Scarpa recommendations for potential upgrades, but was curious if anyone had opinions on shoe brands OTHER than those two. I feel like every shoe website recommends one of those brands with the rare butora acro rec. The few times Ive gone to REI with a shoe in mind, it doesnt fit and/or is out of stock. I just want to have a good grasp of my options beyond the popular options.

Also if you have any recommendations I'm open to that too. I dont need a budget shoe (though I dont believe a 200$ is always better), and am looking for something for a more intermediate climber. Ideally, a multipurpose shoe that works just fine on the ropes as it does bouldering. I have some Scarpa Helix right now and I like them just fine, so Im in no rush to upgrade. But I get my bonus soon and I CAN upgrade...

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Evolv shoes are good. Unparallel was started by some former employees of FiveTen, I’ve heard good things but can’t vouch for them personally, their designs don’t fit my feet.

There aren’t really garbage brands anymore unless you go hunting for them - even mad rock shoes are good now.

As always, try on everything you can and buy what feels good and would be good for the type of climbing you like to do: laces/velcro/big toe patch/stiff/soft etc.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The main problem with evolv (really with all synthetic leather climbing shoes) is that they stink after a while.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I have a pair of Simond edge v2 that I really rate, they were not a horrible amount of monies (bought in a decathlon in Spain)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've used a Butora shoe for a long time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I liked my first pair of Evolvs (Nighthawks) enough to buy a second model from them for my second shoe (Kronos). I must've worn those out super quick or something though, I don't remember what happened but then I moved on to my current Butora Endeavors which I really really like, but desperately need to replace as every time I wear them I've started to get a gross brown grime on my feet -- I think the adhesive is like softening from my foot sweat or something. I've had them for 2+ years thoughThink I'm gonna buy a second set of them, but maybe I'll try something different.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

1) I got the dyno. It was a BIG BOY dyno and Im very proud of myself! Rest of the climb was ez.

2) I want to upgrade my shoes soon, and am looking for good resources. I keep seeing a lot of La Sportiva and Scarpa recommendations for potential upgrades, but was curious if anyone had opinions on shoe brands OTHER than those two. I feel like every shoe website recommends one of those brands with the rare butora acro rec. The few times Ive gone to REI with a shoe in mind, it doesnt fit and/or is out of stock. I just want to have a good grasp of my options beyond the popular options.

Also if you have any recommendations I'm open to that too. I dont need a budget shoe (though I dont believe a 200$ is always better), and am looking for something for a more intermediate climber. Ideally, a multipurpose shoe that works just fine on the ropes as it does bouldering. I have some Scarpa Helix right now and I like them just fine, so Im in no rush to upgrade. But I get my bonus soon and I CAN upgrade...

Everyone’s feet are different. I recommend trying a bunch of shoes on and seeing what you like. REI’s selection varies massively by store, shipping from Amazon or Zappos is usually free

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody watch The Climb on HBO Max? It’s mostly good for looking at beautiful Catalonian terrain and making Chris Sharma seem like a slightly weird guy but if you’re into Reel Rock or anything like that, it’s decent.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody watch The Climb on HBO Max? It’s mostly good for looking at beautiful Catalonian terrain and making Chris Sharma seem like a slightly weird guy but if you’re into Reel Rock or anything like that, it’s decent.

I tried! I really did.

I wish they would have gotten some people with actual shots of being pro in the long term, I felt like all the casting choices were made purely for dramatic reasons. Makes sense for a tv show, but it made me sad that the no one cast had a chance to use the win as a spring board for an actual pro future

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

I tried! I really did.

I wish they would have gotten some people with actual shots of being pro in the long term, I felt like all the casting choices were made purely for dramatic reasons. Makes sense for a tv show, but it made me sad that the no one cast had a chance to use the win as a spring board for an actual pro future

I agree with this but the winner was a nice inspiration story at least.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I agree with your sentiment. It seemed like a reality show with climbing as a backdrop. With that said, they did go to some cool places that I never would have known even existed otherwise, so I appreciate it for that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah I enjoyed it. I think it did do a pretty good job at showing ,any different forms of climbing and a good bit of climbing culture.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Augster posted:

Also started hangboarding again, goal is to do a V10 by spring. Made this goal last year too but I ended up only going to the boulder twice and then stopped training when Elden Ring came out.

Got a late start to this project after I accidentally stabbed my thumb, but I was quickly able to put together 2 moves which is infinitely better than last year :toot:
Now I just need the weather to go back to proper February cold so I can get this thing.

the Good crimp

the Bad crimp

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Augster posted:

Got a late start to this project after I accidentally stabbed my thumb, but I was quickly able to put together 2 moves which is infinitely better than last year :toot:
Now I just need the weather to go back to proper February cold so I can get this thing.

the Good crimp

the Bad crimp

this little guy here is laughing at you. mocking you. he thinks you cannot complete the proj. you must defeat him

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this little guy here is laughing at you. mocking you. he thinks you cannot complete the proj. you must defeat him

First move is a big lock-off slap to that hold. Weather looks good this weekend for a go at it. The plan is to tape up my tips and give that move 110%, catching that crimp even if it rips my tips off. I will show that lil fucker true horror.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Augster posted:

The plan is to tape up my tips and give that move 110%, catching that crimp even if it rips my tips off.

Getting secondhand concern for your tips from this

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Come home with your vitals intact. Tips hips and nips.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Just finished watching The Climb. Worth it just for the locations, and seeing 'mortals' do the picturesque routes.
It's a total love-fest as well.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Did the move, fingertips intact. Linking moves together still takes everything I've got. Also dry-fired and skinned my knuckles, they had just healed from that. Perpetual cycle.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we just visited The Hub in Mississauga, apparently Canadas largest indoor climbing gym. was a really awesome experience, the tallest wall was 46 feet, there were well over 100 routes set with great setting and an awesome variety of holds, styles, and difficulty levels. bouldering was alright, seemed a little like an afterthought, but the setting was still quite good. i was bouldering near the top of the grade range which, for being a newer (but passionate and active) climber, that says to me that bouldering isn't their focus. they do a tape colour for grade range and i was working orange tapes, the only grades above were red and black (and black was simply stated to be "V6+" :lol:). climbed for about 6 hours so we could really get a good sampling of everything and still didn't get on every route i wanted to haha. and i am absolutely wiped today. 5 star experience though and it was absolutely worth the 1 hour drive for us.

sidenote, every other gym i've gone to has the grading feel "soft", so i'm starting to think actually that my home gym is just the hardest grader around lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Oh poo poo, climbing thread! Opinion on home exercises past hangboard and pullups? I've been eyeballing some pinch blocks. Not sure need much more than the 20 dollar ones off Amazon ... I mean, it's a sanded piece of wood with a pin through it.

(I'm afraid I'm not the climber, my kid is crushing comps tho. I'm the guy who scouts, drives, schleps gear up the approach and belays).