Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
I had to go one shoe size up from my street size to even fit my foot into my last pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

canis minor posted:

Also - you can generally find quite a good deals online, so, if you can, find the shoes that fit you and look around on the net. I've bought mine with £80 discount, and that was on top of my gym's 10% off. I don't know for US, but Bergfreunde.de was where I've purchased mine (UK, but they deliver through Europe)

Also - don't believe the measurements the companies put on the websites, saying to take 2 or 4 off your street size - try the shoe on (i've had to send my shoes back twice - good thing the shipping was free)

Completely agree with this. Size shoes in person, buy online from Amazon or steepncheap.com
Zappos also has free shipping and returns if you are super lazy

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

And make sure you tell the shoe salesman on the way out of the store that you appreciate her/his help, you love the shoes, and you're off to buy them on the internet. Don't forget to wink just as the door is closing behind you.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

As with any other thing, I think, the gist of it is to look around - my gym even allows people to place ads indoors regarding shoe sale.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
3 months after starting climbing as and I just finished my first 5.9. I'm finally getting my core strength up. Climbing has done wonders for my knee, not to mention the rest of my body. My surgeon said my ACL (full tear repaired 1/31/17) is "solid as a rock" and to keep doing whatever I've been doing.

My daughters are in on the action too, and this weekend my little 5-year-old found her confidence and graduated from the kiddie wall, ringing the bell on a 30' wall on 4 climbs. She commented, "It was a little scary to go up so high, but you just gotta work through it."

Meanwhile my 8-year-old is climbing 5.7 on auto-belay units, 5.8 with me belaying and giving her a break or two on the way up. She's really into it and has been climbing twice a week with me since March.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sweet! Your five year old has the attitude of a pro in the making. :3:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Does anyone know a good climbing gym in Chicago? Preferably on the south side or in the south burbs (I live in Indiana). I've been to first ascent and Brooklyn boulders but they are a huge drive. Trying to start going a few times per week.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

PXJ800 posted:

3 months after starting climbing as and I just finished my first 5.9. I'm finally getting my core strength up. Climbing has done wonders for my knee, not to mention the rest of my body. My surgeon said my ACL (full tear repaired 1/31/17) is "solid as a rock" and to keep doing whatever I've been doing.

My daughters are in on the action too, and this weekend my little 5-year-old found her confidence and graduated from the kiddie wall, ringing the bell on a 30' wall on 4 climbs. She commented, "It was a little scary to go up so high, but you just gotta work through it."

Meanwhile my 8-year-old is climbing 5.7 on auto-belay units, 5.8 with me belaying and giving her a break or two on the way up. She's really into it and has been climbing twice a week with me since March.

Rime posted:

Sweet! Your five year old has the attitude of a pro in the making. :3:

Haha yeah dude your kid is shaping up to be the next Alex Honnold.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Thanks... it's funny, my older one is high-output and has to be the center of attention but the little one just quietly does her thing. She gave me the biggest hug after the first time she made it to the top.

I wish I had discovered this sport earlier, it's not that common in NJ and I had no exposure to it growing up on the shore. At least I'll get to enjoy it with my kids; it seems like you can keep improving your skills well into middle-age, unlike the more traditional sports I play (when not recovering from injury) like basketball where it's generally a slow decline after age 25.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I know dudes who are still climbing into their 60s and they're still better than me so there's definitely room for the old bastards.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone been sport climbing in Iceland?

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Going to the red this weekend. Any recommendations on shady crags?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Most crags have at least some shade, depending on time of day, presence of overhanging rocks, and how close the woods are to the wall. It really depends on what grades/styles you're looking to climb. I'd suggest hitting up Muir Valley--The Boneyard and Midnight Surf walls have shade all day, but you need to climb at least 5.11 to get the most out of your time there; on the other hand, most other crags there have at least some shade, and it's a compact enough area that you can just hike to a different crag if things get too hot and sunny for you. Once you're actually down on the valley floor it's maybe 15-20 minutes of easy walking/hiking to any given crag, tops.

Outside of Muir Valley, I can personally recommend The Zoo, though the approach is a bitch. When you get there, you'll be greeted with an arch; from there you can go left or right depending on which side is shadier at that time of day.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

PXJ800 posted:

Thanks... it's funny, my older one is high-output and has to be the center of attention but the little one just quietly does her thing. She gave me the biggest hug after the first time she made it to the top.

I wish I had discovered this sport earlier, it's not that common in NJ and I had no exposure to it growing up on the shore. At least I'll get to enjoy it with my kids; it seems like you can keep improving your skills well into middle-age, unlike the more traditional sports I play (when not recovering from injury) like basketball where it's generally a slow decline after age 25.

Old climbers just get more guileful. Here's Steve Mcclure, mid 40s, 2 kids, climbing really rather hard.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/71135/interview_steve_mcclure_on_rainman_9b

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
That was a good read, thanks. I'm almost 40 and in pretty good shape, but after the ACL blowout I don't think I will be able to mentally get back into basketball in the local 21+ league anymore, even after I'm fully healed. My inner competitiveness needs an outlet, so I'm looking forward to what the next few years of climbing brings.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Guy I know who dirtbagged full time and climbed hard was just found dead in his burned out truck up an FSR, RCMP have ruled it a homicide.

Shits hosed up, yo. :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rime posted:

Guy I know who dirtbagged full time and climbed hard was just found dead in his burned out truck up an FSR, RCMP have ruled it a homicide.

Shits hosed up, yo. :(

That is crazy...

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Managed to snag my first bail 'biner off a route yesterday, Crazy Fingers (5.10c) at Roadside/Graining Fork. It was pretty stiff and I didn't get the send, but did manage to finish the route and keep the bailer. It feels like some sort of rite of passage.

Favorite climb of the long weekend had to be EGBG at Chocolate Factory. Pulled the low crux like a boss, then cruised up the rest for the onsight. Except for some of the clipping. Rope starts getting heavy when you're trying to lift 90 feet of it with one arm to go through a draw, who knew? At least the clipping stances were good. Also onsighted another 5.10b at roadside, and redpointed a 5.10b at Muir Valley. I feel like I'm getting pretty solid and confident through the low ten range now. Gotta aim higher!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I'm getting back into climbing (specifically, bouldering) after about a decade. Found my old climbing shoes in storage and have been wearing them, but frankly I don't know much about climbing shoe maintenance so I can't tell what condition these shoes are in.

The thing that struck out to me is that the front tip is no longer "sharp", which I'm worried is adversely affecting the stability of my footholds. Input would be appreciated:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Those shoes are still good, you haven't worn through to the rand yet. Them losing their edges is to be expected through normal use.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The wear isn't a problem, though I wonder what happens to climbing shoe rubber after 10 years. Idk

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Looks mint, those things'll go for years yet.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So, my left ring finger is really sore between the first and second knuckles (closest to the palm) if I put pressure on it. It bends fine, seems to have normal strength, just hurts like hell. Almost feels like a bone bruise or something. Could that be a tendon problem?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Tendon sheath issue, yeah. I get that a lot from crimping at work. Take a week off climbing at least, don't do anything that requires "crimpy" movements in real life, if it persists at the same level of pain see a doctor. Can take up to two weeks to recede if it's bad enough.

Once it's healed get a resistance ball (like a stress ball with little rubber bands for each finger) or just stack rubber bands around your fingers and do reverse finger training by opening your fingers against the resistance. This will prevent future injuries.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Rime posted:

Tendon sheath issue, yeah. I get that a lot from crimping at work. Take a week off climbing at least, don't do anything that requires "crimpy" movements in real life, if it persists at the same level of pain see a doctor. Can take up to two weeks to recede if it's bad enough.

Once it's healed get a resistance ball (like a stress ball with little rubber bands for each finger) or just stack rubber bands around your fingers and do reverse finger training by opening your fingers against the resistance. This will prevent future injuries.

Thanks! Not as bad as it could be.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I also just hosed my left middle finger bouldering the other day :( probably also a tendon sheath/pulley thing. poo poo sucks

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

Mons Hubris posted:

So, my left ring finger is really sore between the first and second knuckles (closest to the palm) if I put pressure on it. It bends fine, seems to have normal strength, just hurts like hell. Almost feels like a bone bruise or something. Could that be a tendon problem?

People give horrible advice with this kind of thing far too often. The first thing you need to ask yourself is, can I climb on it? If you can, I advocate not climbing anything super crimpy, but stopping climbing is stupid. Unless it's a stage 3 rupture, there's not really any reason to not just follow an active recovery protocol. Climb as hard as you feel comfortable to the point of it feeling slightly sore, but not preventative. Good idea to do a rehab hangboard routine too.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I also have a sore tendon sheath/pulley, but I think I got it from work instead of from climbing. Strange thing is, it feels just fine/nonexistent climbing on real rock, but doing gym stuff is painful. The joint is also swollen enough that I can't get my wedding band on my finger, but it doesn't hurt at all.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Meaty Ore posted:

The joint is also swollen enough that I can't get my wedding band on my finger, but it doesn't hurt at all.

niiiiice.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Here to join the "my finger hurts" club, middle finger on the right hand near the AC2. Hurts a bit when I press on the tip and more when pressing near the AC2. Sucks :( But I suppose I had something coming after 8 pretty consistent months of bouldering 2-3 times a week.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Jeez. Sorry dude. Honestly if you're training that much and that consistently, you'll come back stronger after a break anyway.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Everybody stop loving up your fingers!!! (Myself included)

I'm gonna go climbing today, though. The plan is to tape my middle two fingers together (sore and healthy) and just do really light stuff. I have a year card for my gym so at least I'm not paying extra to do weak climbing!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Guess who did 5.9 on gear for the first time today? This guy!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Syncopated posted:

:thumbsup: Awesome. I wish I could afford trad gear other than stoppers.

I guess there's always knotted-up bits of rope.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Syncopated posted:

Suh-weet! :woop:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do you guys take care of your hands, other than keeping fingernails trimmed? Manicure, callus treatment, etc.?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Crimp Oil 4 Life.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

How do you guys take care of your hands, other than keeping fingernails trimmed? Manicure, callus treatment, etc.?

Sand down your calluses with a nail file/pumice stone

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Moisturize liberally after every session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have a couple of posts early in my log about skin care. Moisturize a lot.