Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Fair question. We did a lot of research beforehand and know top roping, so I think we appeared competent at a surface level, only upon close scrutiny did it turn out we kinda sucked. One gym worker eventually (our third day, tbh) analyzed our every move.

Yeah agreed, totally. It was a dick move to not take a class first.

I took a class and still had a gym worker analyze my every move. I can belay and clip but my rope placement was pretty bad all around, so I'll benefit from a refresher for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Fair question. We did a lot of research beforehand and know top roping, so I think we appeared competent at a surface level, only upon close scrutiny did it turn out we kinda sucked. One gym worker eventually (our third day, tbh) analyzed our every move.

Yeah agreed, totally. It was a dick move to not take a class first.

I love your gumption. Way to go for it. But learning from someone who knows is a good idea.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

jet_dee posted:

Is it too soon to be doing this sort of training, and should I just be patient?

I've been climbing 8 years and still don't need to do that kind of training. You don't need to be patient, just do better things.

If you want to start 'training' start by having strength days and endurance days. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

On your strength days, if your climbing V2-3, find a couple of V5s and work them one move at a time. 5-6 goes per move, then try a different move (to prevent injury). This is Limit Bouldering.
On your 'endurance' days your interested in volume of quality moment. Go and do as many v2-3 as you can in up to 3 goes.
If you flash them, you have 2 more goes left on each to do them with better technique. These are Perfect Repeats.

Perfect Repeats and Limit Bouldering are drills that get you strong and good at rock climbing. Campusing gets you strong and bad at rock climbing. It's literally drilling poor technique, which some would argue is worse than not drilling at all.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

I've been climbing 8 years and still don't need to do that kind of training. You don't need to be patient, just do better things.

If you want to start 'training' start by having strength days and endurance days. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

On your strength days, if your climbing V2-3, find a couple of V5s and work them one move at a time. 5-6 goes per move, then try a different move (to prevent injury). This is Limit Bouldering.
On your 'endurance' days your interested in volume of quality moment. Go and do as many v2-3 as you can in up to 3 goes.
If you flash them, you have 2 more goes left on each to do them with better technique. These are Perfect Repeats.

Perfect Repeats and Limit Bouldering are drills that get you strong and good at rock climbing. Campusing gets you strong and bad at rock climbing. It's literally drilling poor technique, which some would argue is worse than not drilling at all.

I've found this to be a good system for workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEt35BKm2OI

I used to hangboard a lot, but mostly 10 minute workouts, and it's been fine. No real "training bad technique" per se as long as you know what it's for and why you're using it. Thinking it will make you a better climber is one of those myths. My system board and hangboard system make me stronger, not necessarily better. The system board helps to diagnose and refine movement and technique I'm terrible at, but isn't something I do every day. The linked video is much better for various training routines, though nothing makes you a better climber than volume climbing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Imo the fingerboard/hangboard should be used as an injury prevention tool while on the path to higher grades, rather than part of the path itself.

gamera009 posted:

I've found this to be a good system for workouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEt35BKm2OI

4x4s are cool if you want/need to use a bouldering wall to train for routes. Daniel Woods does that because it's hard to find routes set indoors that are hard enough for him to train for the routes he wants to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeHg5F5OJIw

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Thank you all!

I will incorporate more limit bouldering into my sessions, and I definitely need to work harder mentally to stick with the v2-3 routes I can't flash (as I often give one/two goes then move onto another route) until I finish them.

On the latter, I made a climbing partner the other day who knew just how to egg me on the right way into finishing tricky/scary routes, so I might have to revisit my assumption about training solo vs. training with others!

For endurance, I use circuit boards (though one circuit usually finishes me) and traverse walls, whilst I use the round/sloper campus holds for specific strength, but I'm curious as to how finger/campus boards can be used for injury prevention much later on?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

jet_dee posted:

For endurance, I use circuit boards (though one circuit usually finishes me) and traverse walls, whilst I use the round/sloper campus holds for specific strength, but I'm curious as to how finger/campus boards can be used for injury prevention much later on?

They build strength in your muscles and connective tissue. Stronger tissues = more injury resistance.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, exactly! And it's important to think of them in those terms, rather than finger strength being the passport to higher grades. It isn't, climbing better is. Correlation, causation etc

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 21, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

jet_dee posted:

12 months of indoor bouldering weekly, and three weeks of 3x/week. Woo!

I kinda wish I was climbing better than v2-v3 by now but I think I had (and still have) weaknesses around upper body strength, core strength, flexibility and of course, fear of slipping/falling.

I also started incorporating some training on the campus board set up, a bit like this:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/785455991233885425/

but only with my feet on rungs supporting my body weight - and sometimes I practice dead-hanging or doing pull-ups using the round wooden holds.

Is it too soon to be doing this sort of training, and should I just be patient?

I also do some campusing on v0-v1 boulder routes, to finish off a training session. I couldn't seem to find any information on Google as to whether this is a quick route to injury - what are other climbers' experiences with this?

Keep on climbing x3/week and you will see improvement in a couple of months even without specific training sessions.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Got my first V4 at the gym tonight :3:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

Got my first V4 at the gym tonight :3:

good poo poo my dude :yayclod:

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I, on the other hand, just learned that the "V4" I thought I did a while ago was not a V4. Turns out my gym doesn't V-grade their comp-style boulders, they simply label them "very hard" or "easier than very hard," the latter of which is the same colour as V4s.

On the other hand, the pain and inflammation I was having in my fingers that I had when I started climbing a few months ago is totally gone and I'm finally able to climb tape-free. I think it was simply a matter of weak connective tissue that needed a few months to adapt.

Additionally, due to being too busy to climb more than once per week, I started integrating some hanging into my lifting workouts—nothing too aggressive, just using the three grips on a pull-up bar—and I've noticed an immense improvement since doing so. It used to be I simply couldn't do any problems with significant crimping elements, and now I find my crimping strength is surpassing my technical ability, whereas it used to be the opposite. I'll also say I think the hanging contributed to being able climb pain-free, as I noticed the pain seemed to lessen significantly a few weeks after I started hanging.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Kasumeat posted:

I'll also say I think the hanging contributed to being able climb pain-free, as I noticed the pain seemed to lessen significantly a few weeks after I started hanging.

Maybe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean#Regression_fallacies

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Had my first nice weekend of climbing outdoors last weekend at Rumney. Here's me leading a 5.8 Drilling for Dollars.

Can you notice anything wrong?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

You’re totally Z clipped bruchacho!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

You’re totally Z clipped bruchacho!

What's that?

Today I try a new gym! I'm also going to do my first top-roping. I'm going solo but there's auto-belays in the gym so this shouldn't be too aggravating.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's that?

Today I try a new gym! I'm also going to do my first top-roping. I'm going solo but there's auto-belays in the gym so this shouldn't be too aggravating.

It's hard to see in the photo, but if you zoom in on his butt you can see that the rope runs up to a higher clip and then back down to a clip at his waist (essentially right in front of him on the wall).

It is a thing that you can accidentally do while lead climbing, typically when clipping high while you are still positioned at the last clip. Basically you reach down to pull rope to clip the next draw, but accidentally grab below your last clip instead of above it when you pull rope. You then reach up and clip, and the rope ends up making two very sharp bends which basically introduces enough friction into the system that you can't move.

Clipping high in general is not advisable, because you actually fall further if you fall during the clip than if you had just climbed up to clip in the first place. Obviously there are times when it makes sense anyway, but if you are ever clipping with the last clip still at your waist, you need to make sure you don't Z-clip. It isn't unsafe per se, but you get stuck and essentially screw yourself over because you have to unclip a draw before you can keep moving.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

armorer posted:

[Z clipping] isn't unsafe per se, but you get stuck and essentially screw yourself over because you have to unclip a draw before you can keep moving.

Mainly unsafe if you don’t notice it and keep climbing, as it effectively means you’ve skipped a clip which results in a longer fall. Not a big deal if you’re on steep terrain with clean falls, but on more vert and/or ledgy terrain it could be real bad news

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Mainly unsafe if you don’t notice it and keep climbing, as it effectively means you’ve skipped a clip which results in a longer fall. Not a big deal if you’re on steep terrain with clean falls, but on more vert and/or ledgy terrain it could be real bad news

While that is 100% true, it introduces so much drag that I can't imagine not noticing and continuing to climb. I've only Z clipped twice that I can remember, and both times the drag was bad enough that I was essentially stuck.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

armorer posted:

While that is 100% true, it introduces so much drag that I can't imagine not noticing and continuing to climb. I've only Z clipped twice that I can remember, and both times the drag was bad enough that I was essentially stuck.

My first multi-pitch HVS lead I Z clipped one rope and then somehow hauled myself far enough past it that I couldn't fix the problem. Untying from the stuck rope mid pitch and finishing things off on the other half rope was interesting.
It seems to happen most when someone has panic goggles on and tries to clip two runners from one stance, without checking which bit of rope they're using.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suicide Watch posted:

I am all for a tight belay but were you taking there as well? a bit of slack is good at times.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

This is an unusually good run down of the basics of quickdraw technique.
https://www.climbing.com/skills/learn-to-climb-clipping-basics-for-sport-climbing/

On the Same Side clipping, I run the rope over my middle rather than index finger for some reason and always teach that. I couldn't tell you why exactly but I'm as fast at clipping as anyone so :shrug:
Maybe it's just one of those habits that doesn't matter at all, or maybe someone will notice and explain why I shouldn't one of these days?

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 6, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Thanks team! My new gym adventure has been set back to today, but now I'm going with friends :3:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My local gym finally finished setting up their 45 degree wall and is there anything I can do to train for this other than climbing on it and various hanging exercises? I'm pathetically bad at holding onto anything that isn't a jug big enough to get your whole fist in :saddowns:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

My local gym finally finished setting up their 45 degree wall and is there anything I can do to train for this other than climbing on it and various hanging exercises? I'm pathetically bad at holding onto anything that isn't a jug big enough to get your whole fist in :saddowns:

Just climb, but focus on your feet. It doesn't seem like it initially, but overhung climbing is mostly in the legs and hips.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Core strength is really important for overhangs. Use your core to keep your hips close to the wall. Usually this is easiest with your body facing perpendicular to the wall.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kasumeat posted:

Core strength is really important for overhangs. Use your core to keep your hips close to the wall. Usually this is easiest with your body facing perpendicular to the wall.

The difficulty being that the problems are all set quite reachy and some short dynos - perhaps still primarily a problem with technique but I can't see huge room for improvement there other than trying to get maximum driving force from the lower body (which I'm already doing - obviously practice will improve) and improving positioning between moves. There's very little opportunity for clever poo poo like knee jams or heel/toe hooks (as far as I can see anyway - again maybe I just suck) which I usually use on horizontal problems to avoid the fact that I'm weak as gently caress. Having not really climbed on any overhangs of this incline and length before I'm surprised that it feels more difficult than going on similar holds on a horizontal roof - is this just lack of experience talking or is it actually generally considered to be more difficult?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2018

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Kasumeat posted:

In the same train of thought, try to use drop knees, they can make some moves so much easier, especially in overhangs!

Running With Spoons fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 6, 2018

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I am all for a tight belay but were you taking there as well? a bit of slack is good at times.

Indeed I was. I (z-)clipped, taked, realized I was z-clipped (as pictured), fixed the clip, then finished the route. I normally run with some more slack but definitely still take more than I should when it gets hairy.

galvetron
Jul 1, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Indeed I was. I (z-)clipped, taked, realized I was z-clipped (as pictured), fixed the clip, then finished the route. I normally run with some more slack but definitely still take more than I should when it gets hairy.
I climbed this route a few years ago and also felt sketched out. Some interesting feedback on mountain project:

quote:

It just feels like you're stepping out of a six-story window

quote:

I enjoyed this route only because I like being challenged by awkward body movements that you don't find in traditionally "good" and "fun" routes

quote:

I agree that this climb's charm is in its awkwardness. I also agree that giving it more than a star is criminal

Did you climb anything else at Jimmy Cliff? I remember really enjoying Junco.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

galvetron posted:

I climbed this route a few years ago and also felt sketched out. Some interesting feedback on mountain project:

Did you climb anything else at Jimmy Cliff? I remember really enjoying Junco.

I TR'd Lonesome Dove which was a 5.10a with nice exposure that shared an anchor with Junco (which I also TR'd--didn't have time to lead). I also really liked the chimney to the left (5.7 Nuthatch).

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Rumney is great, I did not appreciate how dense its cliffs are or how well maintained it is until I moved away.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
New gym update: Had a great time. I didn't realize how quickly top rope wore on my endurance.

This gym has a whole cave with a "floor is lava" feel to it, which was fun.

The bouldering section was very busy, with routes upon routes, which I found distracting. I also was smearing with both feet, and both hands on a hold, getting ready to make a big reach to a pocket 3 feet above and tore the hold, the anchor, the bolt, and a 4 inch hole in the plywood.

Woopsie poopsie.

Now I've got a bolt-shaped cut on my ankle from falling and having the thing land on me and a pretty killer bruise.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New gym update: Had a great time. I didn't realize how quickly top rope wore on my endurance.

This gym has a whole cave with a "floor is lava" feel to it, which was fun.

The bouldering section was very busy, with routes upon routes, which I found distracting. I also was smearing with both feet, and both hands on a hold, getting ready to make a big reach to a pocket 3 feet above and tore the hold, the anchor, the bolt, and a 4 inch hole in the plywood.

Woopsie poopsie.

Now I've got a bolt-shaped cut on my ankle from falling and having the thing land on me and a pretty killer bruise.

That's crazy. I've seen a lot of holds break over the years, both indoors and out, but I've never seen someone tear the t-nut through the plywood. That would make me question how the walls were built.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

armorer posted:

That's crazy. I've seen a lot of holds break over the years, both indoors and out, but I've never seen someone tear the t-nut through the plywood. That would make me question how the walls were built.

Yeah that sounds insane, I've never seen anything like that, only your regular "hold cracks and falls away from the bolt"

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

RabidWeasel posted:

The difficulty being that the problems are all set quite reachy and some short dynos - perhaps still primarily a problem with technique but I can't see huge room for improvement there other than trying to get maximum driving force from the lower body (which I'm already doing - obviously practice will improve) and improving positioning between moves. There's very little opportunity for clever poo poo like knee jams or heel/toe hooks (as far as I can see anyway - again maybe I just suck) which I usually use on horizontal problems to avoid the fact that I'm weak as gently caress. Having not really climbed on any overhangs of this incline and length before I'm surprised that it feels more difficult than going on similar holds on a horizontal roof - is this just lack of experience talking or is it actually generally considered to be more difficult?

That doesn't sound right for a typical overhang. May be the setters have a very different style at your gym. Feel free to share a pic of some problems.

In my experience easier very overhung problems (V3-V4) tend to focus on core strength and ability to rotate one's body and legs in such a way as to bring the correct shoulder closer to the next hold. It's unusual for me to even pull up let along dyno on an overhung problem. It's all about positioning and staying on the wall.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

armorer posted:

i spin something every couple weeks but ive never seen a hold actually break

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

pokie posted:

That doesn't sound right for a typical overhang. May be the setters have a very different style at your gym. Feel free to share a pic of some problems.

In my experience easier very overhung problems (V3-V4) tend to focus on core strength and ability to rotate one's body and legs in such a way as to bring the correct shoulder closer to the next hold. It's unusual for me to even pull up let along dyno on an overhung problem. It's all about positioning and staying on the wall.

The harder problems are far more technical like you describe but also require you to have crazy strong hands just to hang on because the holds are all garbage, the easier routes are juggier but fewer holds.

I think most of the problems have been set as long term personal projects for the route setters so they're loving balls hard in a "you just need to get stronger" sense.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

You probably just don't have the repertoire of techniques that you actually need to make it happen. Clever poo poo is way more subtle than knee jams. . There's more to heels than outright hooks. Drop-knees are nearly always available when a route is steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfUqdr-0zk

To this day, I pick one or some combination of the basic techniques each session and find every opportunity for them that I can in my warm ups. People totally over-rate strength and totally underrate the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verviticus posted:

i spin something every couple weeks but ive never seen a hold actually break

It's not common at all, but they do break at the bolt hole every now and then. Usually the entire hold falls away at that point, but sometimes half of it stays on the wall. It typically happens on decent hands that are subject to a ton of force (either something used as the target of a dyno or as the start of one.) Some gyms will put extra screws through a hold into the wall in addition to the central bolt in order to prevent flexing in those situations, and I think that helps. I've actually seen small foot chips break as well. I suspect that happens when the setter over torques the bolt on them and weakens them in the process since they're quite thin.