Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Decided to get into climbing and got a membership at local gym. Managed to get through about half the V0's, and got stuck on the second to last hold a few times on a V1. Everyone was super cool. Did some top rope routes with people I met there and got through a 5.9 with some rest in the middle and helpful coaching. Anyways, if you're just lurking or on he fence and considering going, just do it.

Post climbing, I have 2 blisters that opened on my fingers, I have band aids on them now, but I assume I should be taping these while climbing? Does sports tape work, or is there something better for climbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Second time climbing today. Definite improvement on problems I did on Saturday. Made a consious effort to go slow and use as much leg as possible. I did really well then gassed out on a 60ish degree wall.

Any good climbing technique 101 videos?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

What's the best way to learn how to grab slopers? I hear the common "just find the deadpoint" often, but that still doesn't help me.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

On the same topic, what are the widest shoes out there?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Currently only gym climbing but I would like to get outdoors this fall. Amazon has GriGri's for $70 right now. Is that about as cheap as they get, or are there good yearly deals that are worth waiting for?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Bouldering is a great reality check for me. Started climbing two ish months ago. Can climb all the 5.8's in my gym and about half the 5.9's. I still struggle with some of the v1's and most the v2's (mostly the multi angle stuff, but some really tough holds too)

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I started climbing in March and in my experience it's pretty hard to climb at a high level and lift seriously. While climbing it's better to be as light as possible, whereas lifting you're constantly trying to put on weight(with some exceptions obviously).

If you're going to speed climb or Boulder, you can still dead lift / squat /bench as strength takes priority over endurance. Anything else I would probably just stick to deadlifts / pull-ups / grip

For your first year or so, if you climb 4+ days a week you will get stronger and will not need to add in outside workouts. My weakest point right now is grip strength, easier way to get it better is to lose more weight and continue to climb hard.

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 22, 2015

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Going out to Vegas in December. Would like to spend a morning bouldering.

A simple google comes up with a ton of different guide books. Any of them worth purchasing or should I just use mountain project and ask http://www.desertrocksportslv.com/ these guys?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Nifty posted:

I rented a pad from the guys you linked to. It worked fine. Also I'll be at Red Rocks this weekend wooooo and This is the guidebook you want http://www.snellpress.com/snb/purchase-southern-nevada-bouldering-guide.html

Just ordered, looks awesome :respek:

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Nifty posted:

Fun trip to Red Rock NV this weekend

Pork Chop, v2/3. Fun movement and standing up on the left foot to reach for the left side of the arete is committing. Boulder looks like a pork chop obviously

Jack of all Trades, a v5. My new project. Left hand two finger pocket is sick. The rail feature I'm pinching is surreal. Starts matched on the crimp on the bottom right, with little slab-ish feet. I did all the moves individually, and by the time I figured out the beta it was starting to rain. Psyched to get it next trip

Heading to Vegas next month and plan on spending a day bouldering. Leaning towards Kraft right now.

Random, but is wearing socks in style right now? Seeing more and more people not in rental gear wearing socks lately.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Never been up to Colorado. Is it possible to boulder in the Denver area in early March or is it too cold?

I assume it's pretty easy to rent pads up there? Suggestions for good V2-V3 climbing spots in the area?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

gamera009 posted:

Satellites will def be open if there hasn't been a heavy rain. I have five crash pads and am nearly always up for working in the boulders there or my own projects.

Flagstaff is also a constant option.

Both will feature a lot of good textured sandstone, but flagstaff is more crystalline.

Boulder is basically my back yard, so if you're looking for some guiding I am always happy to oblige. Also, there are a fair few bouldering goons out my way that are always up for delicious beer post climb.

I actually scored a super cheap flight up in early February to ski, so climbing is out. I'll definitely hit you up come April / May to get some bouldering in.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Dutymode posted:

Should I just put tape over that spot when I climb and stick with these shoes since I like the fit and performance? Or does anyone have experience with a similar shoe? I really liked Pythons as well, but those seem to be getting a bit rare.

My gym has a bunch of pythons on clearance (just got some last week)
I think they'd be willing to ship them to you if you paid S&H. Summit Dallas 972-231-7625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

There's another goon that climbs in Dallas? What days do you climb?

I Boulder at their Dallas location Monday and Wednesday evenings. Been slacking / busy / traveling lately, but I'm hoping to get back to Carrollton on Fridays