Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
I took a climbing class at my local gym yesterday, and man am I sore. Found a bunch of muscles I wasn't working hard enough lifting (gonna go back to basics and do Starting Strength as soon as climbing doesn't knock me out every time.) I haven't seriously climbed since high school and it felt great to get back to it. Even completed an easy course on my first try! I'm more intrigued by bouldering, but climbing really high is also fun as hell.

Any Chicago Athletic Club goons wanna climb with a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
I finished my class series and can't wait to start climbing regularly. I haven't been this excited about picking up a sport since I got back into cycling, and I'm thinking of getting a hangboard to train at home since my old door frames aren't shaped well for using a pullup bar.

How often do you guys climb vs lift weights vs other exercise? I definitely want to keep my lifting up and was wondering what kind of schedule to start with. I'm thinking one day a week climbing, 3/4 lifting. Does that sound reasonable? Are there any areas I should target more/less once I put climbing in the mix? Obviously I'll listen to what my body needs, but I was just wondering what everyone's routine looks like.

Edit: I'm also open to suggestions, like I feel like swimming would be a good compliment to climbing because of the cardio and muscle groups used.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 26, 2014

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
I suppose I could have been more specific about my goals. I definitely want to get better at rock climbing, and maybe even just supplement it with lifting. If I could at least do some bouldering 2-3 times a week instead of lifting, I would be down but I didn't know how much your muscles/fingers can handle once you develop the specific strength to get going (holy Jesus if my forearms aren't shot for a few days after right now.)

I live in Chicago, there isn't much opportunity for climbing that isn't at the gym, but if I could climb instead of lift except maybe a leg and/or chest/back day, that would be awesome.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Discomancer posted:

You can climb a few times a week, but spend some time working on quiet feet, breathing, body positioning (weight on your feet, not your arms), working on building muscle memory for flagging, heel hooks, drop knees, heel hooks, backstepping, heel hooks, and moving with your hips. Consciously working on technique will be the quickest way to climb longer/harder to reduce that 3 day long forearm pump.

I picked up the Self-Coached Climber on this thread's recommendation, although a bit ago people seemed to not like it. Anyway, I'll go through their exercises, which looks familiar to what you wrote. Any other good resources for training?