Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

:frogout:

Any (beginner) climbers in Northern VA? Just got my first taste @ SportRock in Sterling and I'm itching for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Did my first taster session at the Foundry yesterday, LOVED it! definitely gonna finish the course and join the regular climbing club. I know I'm not particularly good yet but I was still amazed how well I was able to support my own weight and how well I could cling onto some surprisingly slight grips, but then I'm 65 lbs lighter than I have been pretty much my entire adult life so that's hardly surprising. We had a go on the bouldering wall at the end and I was really bad at it, the more dynamic movement was really tough but I know with practice I'll get better and stronger.

Any tips for avoiding neckache from belaying?

I'm new myself (second time yesterday) but I saw some people with what I assume were some funky mirror glasses that allow you to look up by looking straight.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of what I should be looking to buy if I want to top rope outdoors? I'd probably be mainly anchoring on to trees. I went a week ago with a dude and I think the only equipment he really used to anchor was a dynamic rope, a static rope, and two carabiners. Now I'm looking around online and there's all kinds of equipment suggested for top roping and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Any suggestions?

After reading around on various forums for the past hour or so, I think I'm going to hold off on the equipment for a bit. The general consensus seems to be that I'll know what I need once I understand enough about climbing to know what I need.

Tots fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 24, 2015

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

asur posted:

Are you climbing outdoors with people other than the one time or can you take a class? The advice you found is assuming you have some way to learning. If someone is setting up an anchor, then ask questions and watch what they do.

I'm in the process now of finding people/groups that I can go outdoors with on a regular basis

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Anyone have a retired climbing pack they want to sell?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Is tying into top rope bolt anchors doable/safe with static rope instead of a sling?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

To be clearer, I want to use static rope instead of a sling in the following picture:

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Assuming the setup in the picture, would a bowline attached to each carabiner at the top with a double figure eight on a bight for the bottom be safe?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Cordelette used as a sling sounds much easier. Would 7mm thickness be strong enough? Also, i'm assuming that two fisherman method has like 0% chance of slip?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Attention DMV climbing goons, I made a space on Slack for climbers to get together around the various climbing spots of the DMV (also for daytrip planning). Let me know if you want to get in on it and I'll shoot you an invite.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

asur posted:

I'll take an invite. I've been looking for more people to climb outdoors with since I got back to the area.

PM sent. If you have any outdoor/climbing friends then get them in on it too, the more the merrier!

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

PM or post his email or send it to Addam1125@gmail.com

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

benwards posted:

I'll take an invite! In Nairobi now, but back in DC in a couple of weeks, and hungry to get outside asap.

Just shoot me your email, PM or Addam1125@gmail.com and don't forget to invite your outdoorsy friends once you get in

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Anyone that missed it before, DC slack for climbing and hiking: http://dmvc.herokuapp.com

I'll be putting up some fliers in the gym this week so hopefully we can get some good group climbs going.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Rock Climbing: Trad is only expensive if you don't have dental

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Does anyone have some good training regimens? Climbing roughly V3 V4. I have lots of trouble open handing/crimping and could probably stand to improve my footwork quite a bit.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Last year while in a finger pocket I got the dreaded pop in my forearm. I was out for like 3-4 months. Just last week the same thing happened again. It seems less bad this time, but I'm really aggravated about it.

Will I just never be able to climb anything with a finger pocket? Has anyone successfully trained up to a point where they could use finger pockets after sustaining these (tendon I think?) injuries?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Cool. Was hoping that having two injuries to the same tendon wouldn't maybe mean I would be prone to them to a degree that would mean not doing them at all.

Progressive training should be okay for those types of holds it sounds like.

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Heyo chalky goons. Two questions:

1) Just moved to Rockville. Anyone climbing at ETRV?

2) If you could recommend one exercise to someone without knowing anything about them, something that is most likely to be beneficial to their climbing game, what would it be?

:coolspot:

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

crazycello posted:

Max hangs on a finger board

That I can do. Think a single max hang is good enough bang for the buck, or a couple sets?

I'm trying to strike a good balance with least amount of time added to my gym routine with maximum benefit. If anyone else has a good recipe here I'd love to hear it!

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Finally finished two separate V3's tonight! :dance:

That said, the one I really want to complete continues to elude me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWL22RH-IKw

It gets reset on the 4th, so I've got like 1 day left to try it unless I want to climb multiple days in a row which sounds like a bad idea :(

The two holds I have my hands on around 20 seconds in, whether I move my Left or my Right arm up... as soon as I let go of the hold at 20 seconds I fall off. No matter how hard I grip with my toes, try to pull my hips in etc...

Want beta?

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Macnult posted:

1) Rockville Maryland? I mainly climb at Earth Treks Columbia but have been meaning to check out Rockville and Hampden.

2) I’m still new so this probably isn’t helpful, but as dumb as it sounds the best thing I’ve had to help my climbing game is to just keep climbing. I exercise regularly but what I mostly pay attention to is not overexerting myself.

Speaking of new, I finally own my first pair of climbing shoes! Grabbed a pair of La Sportiva Mythos and I’m shocked by how much more comfortable they are than rentals. It also feels nice being able to trust footholds - finally worked a V4 that I kept slipping on, and even managed to knock out a 5.11

I love climbing progress but also can’t wait to complain about plateauing

Dangit, I just moved out of Columbia! Enjoy the gym there, it's my favorite ET. I still plan to get there on the occasional weekend, I'll drop you a line when I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'd love any input at all :) I've talked to a few people, watched a few people do it and while I watch them I'm like, "Oh I get that" and then get I on the wall and it's just :psyduck:

Some people use those foot holds to the right, some don't.

The holds look pretty juggy but they're honestly super poo poo

Grain of salt because I'm not a ~good climber~. Looks to me like you're frogged out and skipping holds. Flag out to the left, then grab the lowest hold above the over hang with your right, then move your left hand up.

https://imgur.com/a/XM3MAR8