Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Hey folks, just starting to get into Rock-gym climbing. I climbed a little bit back in high school about 15 years or so ago and my wife has no previous climbing experience. We were looking for a new (regular) gym and a friend mentioned that the local rock gym has all the bar/dumbbells we were needed that sat unused in a corner and the monthly rates were cheaper than our gym. Well, we've gone every few days for the past 3 weeks now and we still haven't touched those dusty barbells in the corner. We're both at a point where we want to start getting our own gear, mainly shoes.

Are there any good websites for men's and women's newbie shoes, that has any sort of trial or size exchange thing?

Thought I'd share this too. A chalk bag I sewed up for her birthday next week. She had this cool galaxy jacket she loved but it got ruined, I dug it out of the trash and hid it away. I used heavy nylon from an old duffel bag and lined it with the fleece lining from her jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

that's awesome, and a really sweet idea. do you have a link to the pattern you used?

Thanks! I just kinda freehanded it. Roughly followed these instructions.
http://www.climbing.com/skills/how-to-make-chalk-bag

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

WhoNeedsAName posted:

That chalk bag is fantastic.

Thanks for the link, I might have to get some awesome fabrics and learn to use a sewing machine.

This was the hard part for me. I've sewn a bunch back in HomeEc and Boyscouts, but I had inherited my current sewing machine from a neighbor and I had never used this kind before. Embroidery type, does all these crazy stitch patterns and has extra things I've never seen before. Took me about an hour and a half and 3 youtube tutorials before I had the machine setup and sewing a regular straight line. Once I got that figured out, I knocked out the bag in about 20 min.

Trip Report: :kimchi: Wife LOVED the bag. Turns out she has a pair of yoga pants with the same galaxy print so she was stoked that she could match in the gym. :rolleyes:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Is there a reason to get anything besides wiregate quickdraws these days?

From what I can tell/have read the wiregates are usually the same price, less prone to opening when struck/jostled, are stronger and can be easier to clip?

What am I missing about solid gate 'biner quickdraws?