Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Siamang posted:

Look up 'belay glasses'. Goofy but effective. They're kind of expensive but are getting cheaper as more companies start making them.

gamera009 posted:

$80 is worth saving your goddamned neck.

Alibaba has you covered dudes: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Look-Up-Belay-Glasses_1865940559.html
Now who wants to pay for shipping? :haw:
I swear my friend ordered a single set...lemme poke around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Got a brand new pair of Mythos and my trad rack burning a hole in my pocket but it doesn't want to do anything but rain/sleet/snow in the Springs right now. :sigh:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Rock and Resole in Bolder CO is were I send mine.

Same here. I waited two weeks (!!) for my Miuras to be returned to me last fall, but it turns out that was a minor hiccup and they have since hired two new cobblers. My BF got his back in less than a week I think (we're in C. Springs). Very happy with R&R.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Did my first trad crack climb at Turkey Perch on Saturday. Incidentally, took my first fall on trad gear, also. I was getting my rear end totally kicked by a 5.7 (god, 5.7? It was Honky Jam rear end Crack, for the curious) offwidth, panicked when I heard thunder rolling in, lost my feet while my arm was jammed in all the way to my elbow, and fell onto my #2 after my elbow popped out (I'm glad it popped out).

Oddly enough, I only want more of this.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

MMD3 posted:

Can anybody recommend me some decent models that are good for people with narrower feet? ideally something that's velcro so I can take them on and off while trading belays at the gym.

My BF has narrow feet and likes the Miura VS a lot. Or you could just get women's shoes (skip the Solutions, maybe).

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

Why do you say to ignore Solutions? Everyone I know who has them really likes theirs.

The women's ones are bright pink and are ugly as sin, IMO. It was a [poor] joke.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Teeter posted:

But half the fun of climbing trips is being able to look as dumb as possible!

I really want some of these:

Would wear.

I did just get some new tie-dye leggings from Sure Design!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

New thread title.

spwrozek posted:

Climbed up in clear creek canyon today.

Man, I really got to get up to CCC. :(

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I don't like making GBS threads on toproping because it's still climbing and therefore still fun, but lead really is way cooler. Just make sure that you learn from someone with decent experience when you learn to lead so that you use safe technique!

I highly recommend practicing clipping in all four configurations (outward facing gate left hand, inward facing gate left hand, outward right, inward right).

http://www.climbingtechniques.org/clipping-bolts-on-lead.html

I actually just set up a QD on the back of one of my dining room chairs and practiced clipping for a few hours every night in front of the teevee.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Speleothing posted:

lead trad every time

ftfy

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

:eyepop:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I did my first multi-pitch lead today! So stoked.

My second, however, thought my Chouinard #1 Camalot (a gift from my mentor) was fixed gear that I had clipped and left it behind. :argh:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

C4 .5-3, X4 .1-.4, BD Nuts 4-13 plus biners to match. Just need to figure out some more alpine draws and get a nut tool.

Where's your .75 C4, son? (I use mine a lot down here at the Garden). EDIT: NM - I see it, just didn't recognize because it has a grey 'biner. I can't understand why BD doesn't make a corresponding color. Yes, I'm OCD about my rack.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Actually the biner is green, but it is one hosed up green.

So, I'm embarrassed. I realized it IS the green one. And, sure enough, I own one (probably got it in a pack of neutrinos). It lives on my bailout Trango cam. My .75 sports a CAMP 'biner that is very, very green.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Siamang posted:

What, if any, supplemental training do you guys do?

I work in [and bicycle to] a kitchen. I can clean and jerk a case of potatoes quicker than all the boys at the crag.

I also do pushups and hammy curls to work antagonists

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I finally sucked it up this year and bought a gym membership because I am tired of rebuilding my muscle mass/memory and tendon strength every spring. My hands are so, so hammered. But looking forward to some 5.9 trad leads in the summer!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I just found out today that this website is a thing:

http://jive-assanchors.com

My fave is the newest post showing an American Death Triangle hung in Ouray Ice Park. As if the ADT isn't bad enough, add crampons to the mix! Should be fun times.

As an aside, guess where I'm going this weekend!?!?! I will not be trading ropes at Ouray Ice Park. Noooooope.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Rime posted:

Hahaha, oh god this is gold, that hobnail piton. :cripes:

Reminds me of the poo poo my buddy has been sending me from Japan:

I was about to say that the hobnail piton reminded me of some of the old pro in the Garden of the Gods, then I saw your photo. People climb on that in TYOOL 2016?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

People do all kinds of janky poo poo while climbing.

Truth. My first trad lead was in the Garden. It has two manky old pins on it (25' runout to the first pin). Suffice it to say I was out of my head on my first trad run and was super stoked to see an old pin.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
gently caress. I think I jacked up my shoulder at Ouray last weekend. I was on some rotten ice (I dumbly went off-route to avoid some assholes who were tossing down ropes without calling them; I got tagged by their first throw and narrowly missed the second "Oh, we didn't see anyone down there, so we didn't call it." :downs:) with my right arm locked off, reaching up with my left. Feet gave out, I fell full-weight onto my right ice tool and felt a pop. I did a few more climbs that day, and felt fine the next day.

Then Snowmaggedon came and I spent an hour and a half clearing wet, heavy snow on Monday. Tuesday it was wrecked. After a whole week of shoveling snow, lifting poo poo at work, and cutting 80lb of various veg/protein at work per day, I can feel a big tough cord of...something, in my deltoid. It's sore and weak. :sigh:

Any suggestions as to therapeutic exercises, or should I just stay off of it while it heals?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

It's happening, I bought my first piece of trad gear today. In a few short months I'll grow a potbelly and beard and my transformation will be complete.

One of us! One of us!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

The real question is how do you just buy one piece?

Budgeting, dude. Trad is expensive. :(

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Trad_climbing.jpg

E: phone-posting

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Speaking of trad, semi-epic'd today on New Era. A few weeks ago, my climbing partner and I decided to do all three pitches of this climb and selected every Tuesday afternoon to accomplish this.

Every Tuesday afternoon, the weather has sucked, but we did it anyway. Today though, it actually sucked enough to start raining on Pitch 3. I was belaying from the top of Pitch 2 and the wind was gnarly enough to totally gently caress my rope management. Long story short, got the rope stuck in the crack right as the rain came in. We managed to free it after a few pulls so it wasn't so bad. It was a little cold and uncomfortable. Post-climb beers were extra delicious.

Also there was this at the summit:

TL;DR: Trad is rad, semi-epic on trad in lovely weather erryday, also,

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 6, 2016

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

Offwidths are not fun and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

Look how wrong you are.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I got caught in the pouring rain on pitch two today. Always fun to rap the in the rain and hike out from there.

Yesterday we climbed in a crazy dense fog. that was some cool poo poo I don't get very often in Colorado.

Come down south to "Little London." May is the month of bullshit fog down here.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

WhoNeedsAName posted:

I found a bouldering area recently that has some anchor points at the top of some of the routes. Would it be a terrible idea to use one of the shorter boulders to teach someone how to clean the top of a route?

That would probably work out great. Alternatively, if you have an easy-ish climb with a broad belay platform, you can always top-belay your second and teach them side-by-side, then teach rappelling. As an example, I typically use Potholes to teach those skills as well as top-belaying.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/potholes/105751750

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Rime posted:

One very abused vintage motorcycles worth of trad gear. :getin:

Nice! Now go make it less shiny! Is that a DMM nut tool?

Resole chat: I started wearing Tarifas, which take 3.5mm XSGrip. Rock and Resole doesn't seem to have 3.5mm. Anyone know a cobbler that does?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

gamera009 posted:

Is it so bad to go a smidge thicker? I think R&R does 5mm?

I like the feel of the 3.5mm. They can do 5mm but don't recommend it for shoes that aren't meant to have rubber that thick, since it can mess up the camber.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

R&R does 5mm for XS Edge and C4 only. I don't know of any shoe that comes with XS Grip 2 in 5mm, and the shoes I know of that use it (solution, testarossa, women's miura vs, genius, futura, stix, booster s, instinct s, furia) have soles that are 4mm or thinner.

Note that the Grip 2 rubber that R&R uses is not the same as XS Grip. The common description (and my personal experience) is that Grip 2 is a little stickier and a lot slower to wear off, but if you're really dedicated to getting the exact same rubber, you'll have to go somewhere other than R&R. Although it's not listed on his order form, Ri at New England Resoul had XS Grip in stock when I last talked with him a few months ago.

It does say "XS Grip" on the sole, and R&R describes it as "XS Grip2" which I think is causing the confusion. Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
My gym will put people straight from the street onto an autobelay with a few minutes' instruction, such that if a family of 4 shows up, that's 4 routes being taken up as opposed to 2. I think they're a menace. Training to belay properly is as important as training to climb properly, so trading belays is Cool and Good.

I sound like an old crabby trad climber. I am OK with this.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Dry ropes stay cleaner longer, also.

And now that I have a dual pattern, I will never go back.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
One of my closest climbing partners took a ground fall free-soloing something he loving shouldn't have been. I am equal parts worried and pissed off. If I find out his hospital room #, I am going to go scream at him in the ICU.

Just be careful out there y'all, if you must FS, be careful in your risk assessment. Duder was thinking he was at the same level he was last year, even though he's been injured and barely been climbing at all this year.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

That is a bummer.

Also there is a climb you should go do in Buena Vista called the Carter Classic. It was super fun. We climbed it saturday, I led all the pitches.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/carter-classic/105854035

Good news, he's being discharged today! Broken scapula, 8 broken ribs + hemothorax, plate + 7 pins in his wrist, and a couple jacked up fingers. He won't be doing 5.11s again, I reckon. :(

Thanks, I'll check out that climb. I haven't been out to BV yet. Probably next year. I'm trying to get up to RMNP for the Sharkstooth or Petit Grepon. It would be a lot easier if my fiance hadn't invited his mother to CO while I'm on vacation. :mad: Gonna be doing a fat lot of nothing for a week! I may decide to work, after all.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Went to the Alpine today. Great Times! 2nd Apron Right Side!

Hell yeah! Sweet climb, man! I've just been bumming around Lumpy Ridge these days. Or was; I'm getting ready to descend into the never-ending work abyss for a few months. :smith:

Hopefully we will be doing Pigeon Spire for our honeymoon next year. Which is great impetus to get my poo poo together over the winter and spring.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Finally getting back to climbing more. Took the lead course at my gym this past week, which included babbys first clip drop and babbys first victory whip. Falling from lead is a totally different experience. Also came within inches of decking from the first clip when clip dropping, because my instructor was a smaller guy.

It sounds like your instructor could use a lead belay clinic.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

Or, at a minimum, you should be doing it at the 4th or 5th bolt on an overhung wall where you're out of ground fall distance.

Yeah, this.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Waiting for a friend at the Garden of the Gods today when a UK tourist strikes up a convo with me about grades. "So what is it here, Severe; Very Severe?"

Was pretty embarrassed that I had no way to convey grades in adjectival grading. Only thing I could manage was, "It's a pile of poo poo."

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Does anyone have good recommendations for offwidths in the CO Front Range, 5.8-5.10? (Yes, I know I can also drive to Vedauwoo, and will likely do so as it warms up). Am currently obsessed with Crack of Fear at Lumpy (.10d) and want to project it this summer. There's some stuff in the S. Platte that I know of but I don't know north of Springs very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

tortilla_chip posted:

You could just go to the creek like everyone else from CO.

A 9 hour drive seems a little excessive for training!