Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Hey all! I started climbing last summer and only just thought to check if there's a climbing thread since I haven't ventured into YLLS before.

My beginner Evolv Defys were getting worn out (the right shoe has a little hole by the big toe) so I finally upgraded and got Scarpa Vapor Vs a couple of months back. It's amazing what a difference the more defined toes make. And while the heel isn't really anything special, it's leagues better than that of the Defy. Best purchase I've made in a while! :)

Pictures from when I first got them, but they're nice and broken in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Truth be told I liked the La Sportiva Miuras that I tried on a hair better than the Vapors, but the Vapors were on clearance and the difference was marginal anyway. I'm crediting the upgrade with finally managing to finish a couple of V3s ;)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

Bouldering can be really frustrating like that. Well, I guess climbing in general. I often have to step back and remind myself I climb for fun, not for numerical progression.

I think it took me about 2 or 3 months to get V3s down pretty well. But it took another 6 months after that to get 4s. Another number of months until my first 5 etc....Every single time I moved up, the next grade felt 100% impossible no way in fucthe party is late in the eveningk can't even start them.

Just keep at it, you will get stronger as long as you are climbing hard, and your technique will improve as long as you are watching better climbers and experimenting with their movements.

Exactly this. Numerical progression is cool because you see how you're getting better, but it's much more fun if you just use it to measure progress instead of being frustrated when you're "stuck" on a certain grade.

Now that I'm climbing a lot more I've moved up through V2s into V3s within 4 months or so, but it really is such an individual thing.

e: oops double quoted

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

I wear these too. I was afraid the arch would be too 'aggressive' for me, but I think they are super comfortable and seem to be holing up really well as far as durability goes.
The only downside I've found is that hard heel-hooks, the kind where you are leading with your heel or have your heel higher than your head, hurt like hell. I don't know if it's just my feet or what, but ouchies.

Yeah I agree. Like I said earlier, the heel isn't fantastic but it's serviceable. And I love the aggressiveness of the curve after using my old Evolv Defys for so long (again, good beginner shoes but they do limit what you can do after a certain point).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Tarnien posted:

I usually do 3-4 0's, then 1 of each grade up to whatever I'm working on

Yep, this is great. Do some stretches and rest a bit between routes, too. You'll get warmed up and limbered up very effectively.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

pokchu posted:

If you love the vapors but don't quite like the heel as much, the boostics are absolutely amazing and far and away my favorite shoe. They've got the front of the vapor V but the back of the Booster and they fit like a dream. Along the same lines as the future, though, I wouldn't recommend them until v4/5.

Well I know what I'm gonna look at the next time I think about upgrading.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Man I climbed on real stone rather than in a gym for the first time in months the other day. I forgot how rough it is on your hands when you're not used to it, especially since it was kinda cold. The tower is also like 25 meters tall and cold so by the end of a route my hands were more numb than in pain!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

gently caress me, you guys are good! I'm about a V3, but unfortunately I haven't had time to climb much since I moved to Berlin a couple weeks ago. I think one of my main weaknesses has been just powering through routes with strength rather than improving technique, so I've been doing a lot of technical routes where strength will only take you so far. It helps that these routes are typically a bit outside my skill range, so hopefully it'll keep me from plateauing too much. :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Any climber goons living in Berlin? I'm living there until end of July and would love any suggestions for climbing, indoors or out! I've been bouldering at Der Kegel, which is nice even if it's in sketchy-as-gently caress Revaler Straße. They tend to set routes with a lot of feature use, which I'm less used to in the gym.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

pidan posted:

I'm nowhere near Berlin, but I just read a book review about the climbing scene there. Apparently there aren't too many rocks around, but the climbers of Berlin-Brandenburg dealt with that problem by setting up routes on some old buildings and such. So you could check that out.

Cool, thanks! Yeah I know of a couple of places like that. And I've heard there's some great climbing in Poland near the border so I might be going with a polish friend of mine sometime this summer .

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Just keep driving to red river gorge in Kentucky. More sport routes then you can list that are worth climbing.

Yesss, the Red is awesome. I'm gonna put together my second trip there when I'm back in the States in September :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Speleothing posted:

What shoes with padded heels? I've never heard of such a thing.

Personally, I'm in love with the Katana, and it's brother-from-another-mother, the Vapor V.

I loooove my Vapor Vs. Once they wear out (it'll be a while) I'll probably try out the Katanas just to try something new :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

It really takes very little strength, I've regularly seen children belaying their parents.

This is a terrible idea though. If the parent takes a big fall, the kid could easily get yanked a good way up the wall, which yeah is better than no belay at all, but could still be dangerous for both people.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

also fwiw i'm sitting in the lexington airport drinking a kentucky brewery bourbon barrel ale waiting for my ride to show up for a week trip to the RRG :c00l:

Sounds dope. I'm sad that I couldn't manage to organize a trip to the Red when I was back in the States in September :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Different places have different rules. What a world!

Yeah, I mean here in Germany you can rent ropes and there are always some topropes set up, but can always bring in your own rope. I've mostly only climbed lead over here so I was surprised seeing the people posting about how you can't bring your own ropes to their gyms.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, honestly it's pretty typical to be able to brute-force your way up to V3s if you have any sort of previous strength. As Tarnien already said, watch people who are better climbers than you, imitate them, do different things with your technique and just see what ends up working!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

They're also baller as gently caress. Thanks for posting!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Honestly my goal for 2015 consists mainly of actually managing to go to the gym regularly. With university and traveling almost every weekend it's gotten hard to go more than once or twice a week :(

Assuming I do establish a good routine next year, my main goal is to climb at least one 8 in lead (German ratings - I think about a 5.12. Anyone have a comprehensive international rating system conversion table?).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ah, thanks a lot! :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

jackchaos posted:

http://gripped.com/profiles/watch-dawn-wall-live-now/

last bit of the dawn wall push streaming live

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Does anyone get lower back pain from climbing? I don't really think that it's the climbing because I last climbed on Tuesday and the back issues started up on Saturday, but I figured I'd ask. It's maybe six inches above my hips on my right side.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

That's always been my experience too. It seems like you end up stretching it nicely. I was just asking since I didn't do any weird movements since climbing and it just started twinging out of the blue so I figured I'd ask. It's getting better though, so maybe I just slept funny.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

No, I typically downclimb. I jump a couple times per session, but never from very high and I've never felt any problems from it. And again, this wasn't something that happened right after climbing, I was just fishing around for reasons when it probably is just having slept weirdly one night.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Will do! :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dude that looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Amazing pictures!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Agreed about Black Diamond harnesses. I've had mine for a couple years now and I've always been happy with it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Can't speak for the petzl harnesses, but the BD Momentum is a great harness and the package deal is really nice. The chalk bag was a bit too small for my hands, but might be fine for others.

This is exactly what I got. I do want to replace the chalk bag with a slightly bigger one at some point, but I'm a cheap fucker and it doesn't bother me too much so I haven't bothered yet ;)

I've only used a petzl harness once as a rental, but it was fine. I didn't have any problems but I didn't use it for that long so I can't really say much.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

My first pair were Evolv Defys, which were quite good as beginner shoes. I think they're pretty common for that purpose. IIRC they cost something like 90 bucks, so right in your desired price range.

What did others have for your first shoes?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Gonna pipe in as usual and say that I love my Scarpa Vapors! :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

When I got my new Vapor Vs, it was also really painful to break them in at first. I just took to climbing routes until it was really uncomfortable, taking off the shoes to give my feet a break, then climbing more with them. They broke in pretty quickly that way.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

pac man frogs posted:

Anyone have thoughts about Sportiva Katanas? Thinking about getting a pair to complement my Mythos for better toe edging.

My girlfriend's got a pair and likes them. Can't say much more than that since I haven't personally used them, though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Always post your stuff in this thread. It's really cool!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm so mad I haven't been able to go to Yosemite yet, either for climbing or just to be there. loving great pics, man!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah I had some liquid chalk that vanished one day in a gym last year :mad:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah I can't wear my Vapors more than a few routes at a time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I don't like making GBS threads on toproping because it's still climbing and therefore still fun, but lead really is way cooler. Just make sure that you learn from someone with decent experience when you learn to lead so that you use safe technique!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Climbing is climbing, if you're going to be elitist about it then anything short of trad is obviously easy mode anyway and everyone should aspire to free solo climbing. Or not because that's super dumb, just climb how you want, learning to lead is something you're almost certainly going to want to do eventually but the guys who act like top roping isn't "real climbing" are usually assholes, or have been doing it for so many years that they've forgotten what it's like to be inexperienced.

Yeah for sure. I had a great time toproping when I was newer to climbing and it's still very fun to do when I'm not able to lead climb.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Man, apparently a youngish (21) climber in Magdeburg (where my brother lives) died in a climbing accident this past week. Something about the knot was wrong, it came undone, and he fell 10 meters and died right away.

Partner checks, y'all. Stay safe.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

*snip* don't go hands-free on a gri-gri *snip*

Argh I saw this in the gym yesterday. It blows my mind that people think that just because a device is automatic that means you don't have to pay any attention to belay technique. I'm perfectly okay with the trend of more people using grigris as long as it's used as extra security instead of a replacement of good technique, but unfortunately I see the latter a lot more than I'd like.

In happier news, I climbed my third 7+ (5.12-ish?) yesterday! I still can't send them without falling and/or calling for a take, but I'm excited that I'm making progress. My goal is to send an 8- (5.13a-ish) by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Apparently climbing is being reconsidered for the 2020 Olympics, along with seven other sports.