Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I moved to Denver, joined the new climbing gym with the tallest walls in the country, got shoes and a chalk bag, and am going bouldering tonight for the first time. I am also in my late 30s with bad flexibility so I am prepared to suck.

Am I doing it right?

ShaneB posted:

Hivemind: I want to get some quickdraws to begin sport climbing. After some insomnia reading last night, it seems the go-to is the petzl spirit xpress. I found them on gear express for like $17-18 which seems great, only a few bucks over the Djinns.

That being said, is there any real reason to get anything else for sport? I think trad is a long while off and I'd likely just rather have great sport and great trad stuff separate in the long run I wager.

Also, what lengths do I want to get? A friend was suggesting just getting some alpine draws for longer needs. Do I want 6 shorter 6 longer, 8 and 4, etc?

Also: rope. For basic beginner sport do I care about dry? I figure it's not necessary and adds a ton of cost. Suggestions on length and a go-to good rope?

and down the rabbit hole we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sigmund Fraud posted:

The Spirit draws are great. Ergonomic clipping, and with a wide, stiff dogbone you can pull on when pumped and most important they have keylock noses and wont snag.

That being said, they are pricey and a bit heavier than the rest of the field.

I'd say the Spirits are excellent for projecting. For onsighting longer routes I prefer something a little bit lighter like the Djinns. Regardless of which brand you get I'd recommend getting one longer draw (17cm dogbone). If a bolt is awkwardly placed the bottom biner might hang over and edge and a longer draw would be preferable. Plus it's a good to have a longer draw if you're redpointing and a clip is just a little bit too high up to be comfortable or you risk rope drag. Get however many draws you need for the longest routes at your local crags + two extra + 1 longer.

I generally don't bring slingdraws when sport climbing. Should I need a long draw I just chain together sport draws (Top biner-dogbone-bottom biner-dogbone-bottom biner). They hang heavier and make for easier clipping. Plus the bottom biner won't risk rotating like a slingdraw.

Dry treated ropes tend to have lower friction meaning easier clipping and less wear on the rope. I never get non-treated ropes. Get whatever length you need for your local crags plus 15 meters. That will allow you to cut the worn ends of the rope 5 or so times. Ropes get the most wear 2-3 meters in from the ends when you take lead falls. I'd recommend atleast a 9.8 mm rope as any lower diameter will greatly reduce the life of the rope. If possible, try out the rope in store before buying and make sure it's sufficient flexible and not stiff.

You’re like the third person who’s specifically mentioned the Djinns as being lighter weight and recommended them for that reason, but according to manufacturer specs. the Spirits are actually about 10% lighter than Djinns. Is this a generational thing in their lineup or a weird lingo thing I’m not getting or... ?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sound_man posted:

If you aren't doing yoga start. Your balance and coordination will improve and that will help you stay controlled in your movements and not need to 'pound' holds as much.

For me once I made the choice to get better at climbing I was able to look at every beer, pizza and cheeseburger and think, is that worth hauling up the wall for the next week? Sometimes the answer is hell yes, other times I get a slice, salad and a water instead of two slices and a beer. I have had better luck with small changes I can do everyday rather than big changes that feel like a massive effort.

our gym has like five or six yoga classes a day and i've never actually done yoga for realsies but i keep meaning to check out some classes since they're included in the membership

Hauki
May 11, 2010

took my first good fall off the top of a v4 yesterday, don't think I really injured anything but definitely feeling a twinge in my anterior tibia today and one wrist is a little crunchy

small potatoes, but we've only been climbing seriously for like a month now and I felt like I was so close to sending that I didn't want to bail

lost focus for a second, calf relaxed and slipped a toehold and that was enough momentum to drop me straight down

Hauki
May 11, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's worth taking the time to practice rolling out of falls if you've never done it before. Helps you not get injured and also helps climbing because once you're confident nothing bad'll happen if you miss the move you'll be able to go for things confidently.

yeah, I've fallen enough on top rope stuff but bouldering is pretty new to me and while I've slipped holds a couple times or restarted routes, I've never decked like that

I've mostly been trying to downclimb problems for practice so far with the occasional short jump off, but I guess if I'm gonna be taking a stab at harder things I should practice falling and learn when to just bail onto other routes

in other news, ropes were on sale and I bit, so hopefully we can start pushing to lead sooner than later

also having to force myself to take rest days because with the gym being a mile from my house, the temptation to constantly go work on something is pretty strong

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I'm gonna brag for my dude Hauki and congratulate him on sending (and basically flashing) his first 5.10a indoors last night. We've been climbing a lot since we caught the bug and I'm proud of him for continuing to be slightly better than me.

I definitely am noticing small incremental growth in my own climbing, too. I was able to send a particularly annoying 5.9 for the second time after failing a bunch on it over the previous weeks, and get a V3 boulder problem first time that I had only sent once before, even after having done a lot of climbing already that night. And I made a lot more progress on a challenging overhang V3 that I think I can get next time.

TL, DR - climbing is fun, feeling like you're getting better is fun.

thanks, I was pretty happy to clean that after that ugly start, I was also stoked to finish that other little problem even if it took some beta

there's definitely moves I'm able to stick now that I wasn't a few weeks ago which is a great feeling, and I think the same goes for you

I wanna go back again today, but I think that's a Bad Idea after two consecutive days of climbing already

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I am at Golden ET. I still haven't made it over to the new gym.

Cool, I work in Golden & pass that one constantly, but I also live like a mile from the new one and that's much more convenient (and huge). I went to the golden one a couple times... years ago, but I don't remember it well enough to compare and that was more of a date than something I was taking seriously and enjoying in it's own right. I keep meaning to stop by that one again just to check it out now.

ShaneB posted:

Come on in one weekend for a marathon day and show us some stuff.

also this hah

Hauki
May 11, 2010

more small potatoes, but I cleaned two new 10as today and then failed a bunch of fuckin’ times on that same V3 I cleaned last week.

can’t figure out how I sequenced through the crux, I know where my hands went but I can’t figure out what the hell I did to get there/get out of it

ShaneB also flashed his first gym 10a even if he says it was easier than some of the 9s we’ve done.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gamera009 posted:

Too bad you guys don’t climb closer to Boulder. But if you want to hit the canyon, I’m happy to guide.

Definitely want to get outside more, let us know!

Betazoid posted:

Great progress, even if you're not sure how you did it. I'm at about the my-gym 5.9 level, too, so cheers. :) I've done a handful of 10a's, but they either kicked my rear end or felt perfectly tailored to my skills/height.

Right now, I'm working on getting over my fears of overhangs (not being able to see my feet on the crux, and not having great upper body strength to pull myself over). It sort of sucks because I'll be able to crush a 5.9 with only moderate effort, but an overhang 5.7 will just zap my strength. For goons elsewhere, this is Earth Treks in Virginia, so more like 5.7 for my best on slab and 5.0 for overhangs.

Haha, yeah. I’ve gotten better at navigating little roofs lately, but when the entire wall is overhanging I struggle much more, even with juggy holds.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Our gym is so dusty I can see the chalk in the air even on a non-busy day. I wish they'd do a deep clean or even bother to vacuum.

i exhaled sharply resting on a slabby route the other day with my face pressed into the wall and it was like someone set off a chalk bomb

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Well, I “climbed” my first “10c” at the gym tonight, completely misread the crux, burned out and popped off before I could right it. Got back on the wall and tried it again from the other direction and eventually muddled through it to the top, but was way too pumped. Really want to go back and do it cleanly now, it felt pretty achievable now that I have a better idea of how to move through the crux. Have to wait with the holidays though unfortunately.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bud Manstrong posted:

I would be interested in meeting up with front range folks gym or outside, even though I’m not exactly in top climbing shape at the moment.
well, we're out of shape as gently caress seeing as we just started six weeks ago or so, but you're welcome to join us and/or give us pointers

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Goldenish goons, I think I’m gonna hit that earthtreks today after work if anyone’s around and wants to meet up

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I am usually a Monday/Wednesday guy.

Ah, too bad. I didn’t think the parking lot could be worse than Englewood, but I got there at like, 5:02 and the nearest open spot I saw was on the street at least a half mile up so I bailed and bouldered at the gym by my house instead. Is it normally that bad? I don’t exactly have a set gym schedule, but I try to go twice during the week and once on the weekend if I can.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

It was probably pretty much 'empty' inside. I usually park behind the gym at the medical facility. You can always get in ropes there.

Boulder at DBC? If so good choice!

gotcha, maybe I'll check it out for a bit tomorrow on my way home, partner's out, so just bouldering though

and no, just the other earthtreks, I want to check out DBC at some point, but... gotta get my money's worth out of my membership at ET, hah.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

they only had the vapor Vs left in bizarro sizes though, which I suppose is just as well because I need a lot of other things before I need a new pair of shoes

I did get a decent gift card to REI for Christmas so I’m trying to get a shopping list going for other gear

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

I wear 9.5 or 10 US and have no problems with 42.5 EU sizing so seems like they have normal sizes left

When I looked earlier it skipped from like, men’s 37 to men’s 47

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sitting on the couch dicking around with gear and discovered first hand why back-clipping is bad so that’s good I suppose

I really need to get back into regular climbing after holiday bullshit though

Hauki
May 11, 2010

more small potatoes, but I climbed the fastest I think I ever have on a c. 60' 10a and it took me from falling off an overhang on the first attempt to crushing it in like a minute flat including a shakeout on the second go-around

I feel good even if I also fell like two feet from the end of another 10a

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whoo, cleaned my first 10c tonight and it felt totally doable

I kinda feel like I haven't been pushing myself enough, I've had this mentality where I feel the need to do like every 5.9, every 10a, etc. before I 'move up'

hopped on a new 10b/c immediately after and pumped out, it felt pretty achievable though if I hit it fresh and approached some of the moves a little better

Hauki
May 11, 2010

alright, how do you guys train/spend gym time, crosstrain, etc.?

I find myself falling into a rut of like, warmup on a couple downgraded routes, hit a couple harder* routes I know I can do and then take a stab at a couple new or more difficult routes with marginal success rates. I'm not sure if I should be aiming for volume & diversity or difficulty right now and I'm not sure I'm necessarily spending my gym time wisely.

Mind you, the hardest I've climbed is a gym 10c/v3 and we've only been going at this seriously since uh, October. We typically aim for 2-3 c. two-hour sessions a week depending on travel/work/etc. From time to time I'll try to work through the initial moves of like an 11a/b or v4-6 that look doable and find them vastly more difficult than I envisioned from the ground or from watching other people attempt them. I'm still trying to sort of ease into it so I don't gently caress up and get a tendon injury or something, but I also want to push myself to start climbing harder. I'm also mildly annoyed because my gym seems to rotate routes fairly often and a couple of my "projects" have vanished after a week or two.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Just climb and have fun man. My gym time (when not broken) is just climbing. I think you will benefit from climbing the most. If you want to get better you should just volume climb at your level, so lots of 10b and 10c routes. Then start pushing into harder things.

Are you leading yet? that will make things more interesting.

Fair enough. No, but I want to. Climbing mentor so to speak gets back into town tomorrow, I wanna hit him up and/or take a class on leading soon. Otherwise I've been practicing clipping off a keychain hanger from the couch and watching other people lead every minute I can. I'm aiming for more bs & cs, but right now it feels like they're either perennially occupied or not a style of route I'm as comfortable with, I end up pumping out and bailing after hangdogging for a minute.

edit: and I'm definitely rewatching the neil gresham series

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Every gym I’ve been to has had some variety of shoes in stock and/or allows outside vendors, etc. I’m assuming you already looked into that angle? Like Tenaya set up a booth yesterday with 5-6 different shoes for people to demo and they were humming all night.

Although, the REIs here also stock like at least half a dozen different brands with a range of models for each, so maybe some regional differences.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Also Alex Megos has been showing up to the Englewood CO Earth Treks a bit lately. I watched him lead a 5.13c like it wasn't anything the other day, and now I need to spy on him boulder at the moment.

Working from the climbing gym is fun. I need to do this more often.

lol, I was like I’m pretty sure I recognize this dude but I can’t put a name to the face, why are people asking for his autograph

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I reaaally need to start doing yoga, but uh, I've never done it before and the gym I'm already paying for doesn't seem to have any classes targeted towards/suitable for beginners

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Honestly all the classes at ET are fine for any level. Just tell the instructor and they will give you a bit of coaching during it.

Really? Hm, okay. A couple people now have warned me about some of the instructors/classes, but I'll suck it up and try one. I'm guessing I should get a mat at least.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Any of you guys hit tiers of Zion / this early in the year? Debating checking out some quick sport after work there, it’s like 10 minutes from my office.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

It faces north and will be cold, wet, and snowy.

The best cold weather crag is closed for birds right now. The other stuff is all the way by tunnel 5.

Gotcha. We ended up bouldering down in deer creek canyon instead, but I’m already fiending to get back outside.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Nice thing about Colorado is you can pretty much climb outside all year.

well, I don’t think I’ll be going outside today but I might boulder (badly) at the Golden ET if any of you all are around

Hauki
May 11, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

3/20. And yeah the backup plan is to check out a gym, so thanks for the offer. I'll see how it is as the date gets closer, and if anyone wants to come through, the more the merrier.

I think I get back into town the 20th, but I’d only be free for gym evenings during the week.

On another note, anything I should know about shelf road?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Sharp rock, warm in the sun, cold in the shade, short ish routes. 2 new guide books, one sucks, one is ok. It gets really fun in the 10 range.

What routes are you looking at?

No idea frankly, going with someone/people substantially more experienced than me and I hope I’m not dragging them down, haha. I’ve still only done a few gym 10cs, so whatever that translates to outdoors.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Awesome, thanks for all the route info! I’ll take a look over all these tomorrow night, I’m psyched to get outdoors again.

Put in a solid two-plus hours tonight at the gym and felt reasonably good, although I was pumped by the end and bailed on a couple things I think should’ve been doable. Shout-out to Shane for flashing the 10b I’ve been badgering him to try for a couple weeks.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’ll have to check out that book too. Shelf road was awesome yesterday, couldn’t ask for better weather.
Only hit some 9s and finally a 10a that felt more like a sustained boulder problem than a sport route, but had a blast in any case. My first time lead belaying and cleaning, I was gonna try my first lead as well, but we ran out of time. Hopefully next time!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hangdogged the gently caress out of my first outdoor(anydoor) 11a, six pack o' whoop-rear end up at cactus cliff yesterday, but I got to the top and cleaned it for my crew

flashed some easier stuff around the area, hung for a few on high-heeled titty twister but I had a good jam and didn't need to so I feel kinda dumb that I weighted at all, but that was also my first route of the day and the thin crack going into the crux wasn't really something I'd done before

had some schadenfreude watching a substantially more experienced and braggardish climber hit it right after me and bail off the crux, said he "wasn't in the right mind" and then had his friend go up to clean it

all in all a good time and more outdoor experience for me~

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Finally hit the golden ET tonight, felt less crowded for sure, but maybe that’s just timing? Overall the grades felt slightly stiffer than Englewood, but I don’t exactly know how to compare - there was a 10a I tried to warm up on where I felt like I was a half inch short of reaching the next holds so it was like trying to dyno out of an overhanging section onto slab which just didn’t work for the obvious reasons. Then I cruised up an “11+” which felt super juggy and obvious in comparison. Holds felt a bit less sticky too, more rubber and chalk buildup. I exhaled shapely at one point and there was like a tornado of chalk around me. Slabby bits felt a little more ‘real’ in their holds at any rate.

Gonna try to hit something else outdoors Sunday if I can, spent the last two weekends working up and down Shelf.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

well, our will weakened in the face of cold winds and rain at our intended spot, so we just did laps on a couple of 9s while it was still niceish, then I learned to rap and practiced placing trad gear on a sheltered flake for the rest of the afternoon

just as well, my hands have felt a little crunchy this past week between several days at shelf road and two gym days

I’m also already lusting after a ‘better’ pair of shoes, but drat, I’m still leaching dye off my first pair

Hauki
May 11, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I've also found it super useful to finish a problem, then descend using the exact foot and hand placements you used going up. Having to do them in reverse later really forces you to be cognizant about your movements!

I've been trying to downclimb more boulders, not necessarily with exact food & hand placements in reverse, but I have noticed how much easier/more difficult some moves are coming down.

I do want to try sticky hands/feet though, I realized I don't really think through my movements so much as just try poo poo and see how it feels.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

feet first, right

also, I recognize that gym~

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bouldered two days in a row and my wrists and elbows want to die

that is all

edit: also I feel like the route-setting/rating is getting closer between Golden & Englewood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spwrozek posted:

So Englewood is bringing them down finally?

You mean in terms of grading?