Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Finally in a position to sign up and climb consistently at a gym so I'll be doing that today. Pretty excited for that and really looking forward to this amazingly fun new hobby. Now I just need to find a consistent climbing partner. Any Houston goons around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just joined the gym so my goals are to finally get into all this nonsense. I am on the cusp of an easier 5.10 and can probably knock out a V0-1 depending. So I guess I'd like to do some lead climbing eventually and get halfway decent at bouldering.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Finally getting lead climb certified at my gym next week so that's exciting. Now I just need to find a consistent climbing partner. Bouldering is fun, but I'm getting frustrated at my lack of progress. Granted I've only been climbing for about 2 months now. How fast did it take y'all to start climbing 5.10/V3s consistently?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

guppy posted:

Lead climbing class is tonight. Slightly terrified. Here goes nothing.

It's nothin. The falls are the best part

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Intergortion posted:

Watch Wide Boyz for free until the 7th of April. It's good: http://hotaches.com/free-climbing-film/

That was really cool to watch

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

Men's and Women's highlights from ABS Nationals:
http://vimeo.com/88063120
http://vimeo.com/88145860

These people are pretty good climbers.

Also RIP Sean Leary. Guess it's inevitable when you live like these guys, but such a sad loss. This guy was incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGwXbA3gMP0

drat he left behind a pregnant wife too. That really sucks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm pretty new to climbing, and just got belay certified at my local climbing gym last week. My first time climbing with a group went well, but I managed to give myself pretty bad rope burns on the skin between my thumb and index finger from belaying; has this happened to anyone else when they were first learning or did I just really mess up? I think I was trying so hard to not lose track of the rope that I was sliding my hand up the rope every time rather than letting go. It hurts to open doors :(

I went on a date where not only did she manage to get her hair braid sucked into the ATC but also the skin between the thumb and index finger a little later. You're not alone. Belaying can be kinda tricky at first but it comes with practice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I went climbing with my friends for the first time ever the other day at a free outdoor rockwall and it was awesome.

If I want to be able to go solo and autobelay I just need a harness and chalk/bag right? Because this shits hella fun.

Harness, shoes, chalk and you're good to go

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh right shoes. I can't buy those online. But my friends climb this rockwall barefoot without a problem so for now I was gonna not.

Honestly if you think you're going to dive head first into climbing and getting a membership and all that you might as well. Overall you'll throw down about $200 for cheap newbie shoes, decent harness, a chalk bag, and then whatever membership your gym is. It's a much smaller barrier of entry than say mountain biking.

Alternatively you can just boulder for a while and skip out on the harness entirely and just rent one whenever you want to autobelay/climb with friends.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Are there any resources you guys could recommend to refresh myself on the fundamentals of climbing? I passed a learn to climb course a while back, and have been bouldering a few times since and was delighted that I finally found something physical that I get a kick out of, but I found myself in the embarrassing situation of being refused entry to a different facility that had a shared bouldering/climbing wall because I'd either forgotten everything or wasn't confident on the basics. I respect the need for them to do that, but it was kind of disheartening.

I don't really have many friends interested in climbing, and to be frank, I don't want to approach those who do until I'm confident I won't smash their skulls like eggs. Should I just save up and take the course again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCUJrXSKWrw

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spraying new skin onto my heel after breaking in some boots on a 3 mile run is probably the worst pain I have ever felt. Like acid burning my skin. Sure did help though!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

After a few years of no climbing I finally got back into it. Works out for me that the closest gym is bouldering so I don’t have to rely on others to climb with. I was never all that great but I feel my technique coming back and can hopefully send some V3/4s in the next couple weeks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If it’s the circled area it’s either sore tendons from being newly activated and stressed or minor tendonitis. Stretch and take it easy for a week and you’ll be ok.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What’s a good shoe for wide feet? I got some Scarpa Vs a few years ago and I either chose the wrong shoe or sized down too much.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

I've done wall climbing a few times before and it was kind of fun, but I'm looking for something I can do solo - is bouldering something I can do, renting shoes/etc. initially and just go every couple of weeks on my own at first? Or am I going to need to get specific lessons/buy gear to get anything out of it?

Bouldering is a perfect way to get into the sport. Just need shoes. You don’t have to talk to anyone or have a belayer with you.

Once you start climbing and have a feel for it you can watch YouTube vids for more technical advice. Some gyms like mine offer classes once you’re ready fo tackle V3 and above or how to use some of the specific rock climbing equipment like campusing or hangboards

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 24, 2018

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Saw the Dawn Wall last night and it was really good. Absolutely beautiful shots and the story is inspiring as all hell. Pretty cool we are getting two climbing documentaries both about el cap in the same year.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I would love the van life but I also like money so /shrug

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I jumped down from maybe 3 feet up and landed wrong on my leg so now I’m working on a groin joint injury. Dumb

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gotta get over that fear of falling. A lot of moves teeter on that edge of balanced and peeling off the wall. Climbing and failing a bunch is really the only way to develop the confidence that falling isn’t a big deal.

If your only sticking to juggy holds then yea I can see you not progressing in two years time. Also lol no one accidentally goes pro in anything. It’s like someone resistant to lifting weights because “they don’t want to be a body builder”

Pick up the book “Self Coached Climber” and give a read through. It’ll help with things you can practice technique wise for balance and strength while climbing and goes a bit into the mindset to adopt to conquer that fear of failure.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Those are really cool. The PATC was by far the best trail club on the AT and that area. Everyone I came across was very nice and the trails/shelters were in tip top shape.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xyven posted:

Decide what your route will be before you get on the climb - you spend like half the video switching your feet back and forth. If you plan out your movements before you start, you'll have a lot less wasted energy.

Also try to be more accurate/controlled with your foot placement. Look at where you want to place your foot and place it there in a controlled manner. Focus on putting your big toe on the center of the foothold

To add to this you need to try plant your feet somewhere that isnt on the wall. There's a game that can help with getting this down called sticky hands and sticky toes. Decide where you want to place your foot, place it, then dont move it until your next move. You definitely need to try and stand up more instead of hanging low. You could have reached the next hold towards the end if you had just simply stood up and went for it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don’t know why Momentum opened a top rope and a second bouldering gym here in Houston but I’m sure glad they did

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

AngusPodgorny posted:

I wouldn't have expected flat, boring Houston as the place for climbing gyms, but I appreciate that the bouldering one is next to downtown so I can conveniently blow off work and climb instead.

Being right around the corner from my apartment is hella nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

Do you work at a computer? I have the same problem when I get a bit keen on slopers.
Do lots of this bullshit now and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3TXMwSltU

I absolutely need to do this. I’m currently resting due to a wrist pain on my right side that makes it impossible to do a push-up. Really uncomfortable pain on the top of my wrist when in the up position. Splaying my fingers against some resistance also hurts a bit. This poo poo sucks

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Kinda on topic, does anyone have a link to a good exercise program that I can run while climbing two to three times a week? I want to sign up for a climbing gym but I don't want to get skinnier / ignore my legs by having all my excercise be just climbing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910&perpage=40

I do Program 2 the twice a week version just to have some lifting thrown in each week. I’m usually at the gym 4 times a week so two lifting days with some climbing tacked on at the end.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao drop em off at an elementary school so they have a good exhibit on bacteria growth and good conditions that let it thrive.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Scarpa Vapor V have been p good for my wide feet. Maybe size a half size down or none.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For real. I think I’ve developed dorsal wrist impingement from climbing and lifting too much and it sucks. Doesn’t seem to be going away with rest and ibuprofen so off to the doctor I go

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Watch that Neil Gresham masterclass on YouTube and maybe pick up “Self Coached Climber” if you like books. If you think it’s a technique problem then definitely take the time to learn what proper technique is and do exercises that reinforce it. Eventually it’ll be second nature and you’ll push through this plateau that is unlikely to be strength based.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My self diagnosis of dorsal wrist impingement was spot on and received a steroid injection to help that along. Hopefully nothing more is needed. Warmup and keep a neutral wrist when you can so this nonsense doesn’t creep up on you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ibuprofen and a raquetball massaging the trigger point would be a good idea to try

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea. Sometimes massaging the tender spot or areas above/below the muscle in question will help a bunch. There are trigger spots near your elbow that if massaged you will feel by your wrist for example.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All sports and industries have their jargon though so eh no worse than any others

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Speaking of silly sport here’s a fun video of Honnold reviewing movie climbing scenes.

https://youtu.be/R7qSiEKntQA

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 20, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just go and try your best. Generous use of a block will help. Yoga is cool and good and if there is a snobby yoga instructor I'd be amazed because every yogi I've met are extremely chill.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You could probably ask your gym staff to give you some advice before you go out.

Try and go with a group first and learn from them as well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I watched Dawn Wall and Free Solo back to back. It was an interesting experience, but not because of the climbing.

What I found most interesting was the way both Caldwell and Honnold seemed to have difficulty with stable relationships, and treated their partners rather poorly. Dawn Wall didn't go into a lot of detail about Caldwell's divorce (although I've read more detailed accounts elsewhere), but in Free Solo Honnold treated his girlfriend like total garbage, and you could tell the documentary markers tried real hard to spin it as endearing/cute/funny. It made me lose some respect for him honestly.

I can understand that pursuing anything at such a high level requires making sacrifices, but why continue dating someone if you a) think so lowly of them and b) will be so ruthless as to tell them flat out that they aren't as important as your hobby?

I didn’t think they were trying to make it cute when they explicitly said his dad had Asbergers and such. They didn’t outright say Alex had it but it’s heavily implied that that along with a kinda unorthodox upbringing will gently caress up your ability to have normal relationships. I mean the dude didn’t get hugged or anything growing up and it’s well established that no human contact will break people.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea I think Dawn Wall better portrays the ridiculousness of climbing El Cap along with a better character study.

But seeing Dawn Wall will give you a much better appreciation for how insane Alex was for doing what he did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Foot binding is a thing so yea shoving your foot into a tiny rear end shoe I can see shrinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A twist lock should get you the reach and stability to get your left hand on those jugs