Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

I've been bouldering infrequently as a side thing to parkour for a while now, but on Monday I managed to complete a couple of problems I'd never even considered before and it felt so amazing I just had to get back on the wall even after a pretty intense 3-hour parkour session today. Now my hands are raw and my forearms on fire. I think I'm hooked.

Anyway, what should I look for when buying shoes? So far I've just borrowed from the gym and used whatever's available and kinda fits, and haven't really got a feel for what I should be looking for.

Also, anywhere I could find info on common gripping technique? So far I've been able to progress with whatever feels natural, but it seems every problem I've yet to solve at the gym has holds I have no idea how to even approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Look up crimps (half and full), pinches and underclings to get an idea of your most used finger techniques. Honestly though, climbing is mostly footwork. Remember hands follow feet, when you're reaching with your left hand you want to be pushing off of your left foot. This typically means your left foot should be higher than your right. Also look up heel hooks and drop knees.
Thanks, those look like they're going to be very helpful. And yeah, I figure most of my problems stem from poor or nonexistent footwork. I'm so used to smooth concrete walls with no footholds I constantly forget to concentrate on my feet and they just end up supporting or balancing while my arms do most of the work.

As for shoes go with whatever your gym has that's under $100 at this point. They're your first shoes, you're not going to know what a good fit feels like and are just gonna tear them apart with your beginner footwork anyway.
So no particular brands or anything I should avoid? The pricing points are probably pretty different here in Finland, but I'll just grab a cheapish pair that doesn't murder my feet too much.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I have a personal hate for evolve (they get very stinky) and swear by muiras but as stangg says its a very personal thing.
Yeah I'm going to steer clear of evolves, then. Foot odour is not a thing I particularly like.

Just don't be like the guy I just met who likes a little slop to his shoe. I think he's an idiot who has baby feet and has terrible footwork and I couldn't stop talking to him fast enough before he expounded more on his theory that the outside of the foot is the best spot to put on a jib because he could grip it with his toes. I guess I could have tried to educate him but he seemed like the kind of guy that would turn that into an argument. Uncomfortably tight shoes are the way to go.
I'm gonna one-up him and only climb barefoot because then I can wrap my toes around things better and also am entirely convinced my tendons are made of solid steel wire.

brakeless posted:

It has been said, but it's really not so much about the shoe for a beginner and more about the sizing. Any spare room between your toes and the shoe shouldn't be there. A brand new pair should push your toes in at least a little. Get a pair with velcro straps to make giving relief to your feet easier.

If you're in the Helsinki region and in need of climbing buddies, I can hook you up.
I am in Helsinki, yeah, but I'll be living in Turku for the summer because of work. Climbing buddies would be sweet while I'm in the area, though. I've been going to Parkourkeskus so far, which has an okay wall if you're just climbing on the side, but it's getting a bit limited now that I'd like to get more active with this.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

brakeless posted:

I frequent the Caves in Pasila and Konala. Shoot me a mail at brakeless at hush dot com if you want to arrange something.
I sent you an e-mail, you can edit your address out now if you want to.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I have pretty wide feet and I really liked 5.10 Coyotes as my first shoes. I can't seem to find them on their site anymore, though, so I'm not sure about the availability.

I currently have Scarpa Instincts, which might not be the comfortable beginner shoes you're looking for, but apparently plenty of other Scarpa shoes are nice for wider feet as well.