Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

So, I climbed for the first time ever on Wednesday and loved it. Went again yesterday to sort out a membership with the gym and after my climbing session took a ride to REI and bought a pair of Tarantulaces. The problem?? I guess is that the bottom of the shoes seems to have whatever that slippery substance manufacturers apply before shipping product (feels about the same as the stuff on my rubber weightlifting plates). Is there anyway to remove that before climbing in them the first time? Should I even worry about it? To me, it feels as if they will just slip off everything for a bit as the rubber gets roughed up.

Also, any tips for generalized fear of falling/heights? I'm sticking solely to bouldering for now but I flashed a problem on a whim that ended with me standing on a ledge over the cave area and could not bring myself to fall off but I also could not down climb either. So, after a mild panic attack while holding myself to the wall I did a dead hang and dropped the admittedly 2 feet or so to the full floor pad below. I feel silly as hell but holy poo poo that was terrifying for a moment. And exhilarating. And I'd love to send it again just to acclimate myself to falling from that height but that probably won't be an option the next time I go since the gym will be packed and I don't want to waste people's time as I talk myself down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU