Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

remote control carnivore posted:

Trad free solo is the only "pure" form of climbing

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
As someone who lives in a van and climbs too much, there's a shocking number of women who think it's frickin' awesome. It's wierding me out.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah who the gently caress would jump off a bouldering wall deliberately? That's pre dumb.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol one of my local gyms has sand and gravel as the flooring.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nah it's in Victoria, very old school though. Glad to hear it's not the only place helping gym rats actually respect a ground fall.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Endjinneer posted:

My first expedition TL;DR:

Long drive:

Big carry:

Objectives look do-able:

Viene una tormenta. Digging time:

So close. drat crevasses:

Hometime. Wait, where's the road? Where's the bridge?:

Wait, why did crevasses stop you? Nobody brought a probe or glacier travel gear? Also what took out the bridge (and how'd you end up getting out?).

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
"So how about a season of mixed climbing and ski mountaineering ascents in the Rockies this winter? ", says the text from a kid ten years younger and infinitely bolder than I am.

Can't turn down an invite like that. :black101:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm really glad that idiot got like $1500 for a silent partner on EBay last month, because the market was suddenly flooded and now I've won one for slightly more than retail and can finally pursue my solo-aid alpine bigwall dreams.

:getin:

Tactical Lesbian posted:

humblebrag time: did a lead class & took the test to get certified in my gym this weekend, and apparently it's "very rare" that someone doesn't hesitate to take that first lead fall on purpose and isn't scared by it whatsoever

the source of my fearlessness: crippling depression, fam

10/10 would recommend to my fellow something awful forums posters

Crippling depression is how and why I got into rock climbing, and now that I no longer have it I find myself with a crippling fear of heights + hanging off gear belays making GBS threads myself in terror and doing rope access for my day job.

I may have beaten the suicide but I guess my brain got the last laugh in the end?

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 15, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Pretty sure Tommy Caldwell roped gunned his 4 year old up 9 pitches on The Nose last weekend, if I'm recalling my Instagram correctly. So yeah, it's a matter of dedication to the craft above all.

Speaking of, I'm going to be working in a remote camp 3 hours from Toronto for the next six months. How can I train without any rock or gyms so that I am not a limp noodle when I return to BC? :sigh:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kasumeat posted:

Yeah this is the real issue

Edit: Are you still planning on living in a van in place where it frequently reaches -30?

Oh yeah, nothing says fun like 12 hour days on the shores of lake Huron in January and then coming home to my cramped unheated minivan.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm sitting here LMFAO pretty hard that Sudbury has a better, larger, and more modern climbing gym than the gross cramped places we've got in Vancouver. Training problems solved.

Thanks for the offer though Toronto goon, I'll hit you up if I come south.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Verviticus posted:

the bouldering gyms in/around vancouver are really good. not sure about other kinds of climbing though

Hive North Shore is great, everything else is worn out, overcrowded, and reeks like feet.

The gym in downtown Victoria is absurdly better than anything in Vancouver, like wow.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Teaching anchoring classes made me realize how many things there are to consider. Like holy poo poo, trying to fit all that in to 8 hours in a digestible fashion + practice time is brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Canadian Shield report:

Looks like there'd be great bouldering here if it weren't freezing and covered in snow. Gym in Sudbury is great. Dunno why I was worried about getting out of shape when I'm climbing 418' ladders multiple times a day. :v: