Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Does anyone have suggestions for climbing podcasts distributed via RSS that are high quality?

I don't want to have to go to a website to access them.

Thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Climbing is a blast, and also has an infinite amount of growth potential; it never gets dull.

Glad to have you as a part of the community!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

crazycello posted:

I'm pretty sure they're already damaged in tendonitis, usually because of overuse and imbalance between flexors and extensors (climbers are more prone to medial epicondylitis because that's where your finger flexors attach too). Doing very light eccentric exercises are possibly beneficial but most people are just going to gently caress up their tendons more by downclimbing.

I agree with this. Rice bucket, reverse curls, the hammer or band pronation exercise, all will be more effective at treating the tendonitis referenced earlier.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 10, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I took a break from climbing over the holidays; after a two and a half week hiatus I BOMBED at the gym. I felt clumsy, I back-clipped, I barely had any strength to make it up, and burned out quickly.

Usually for biking or running I can jump back in. for climbing I sucked. Is this a phenonemon for newbs (I started lead climbing over the summer) or it is typical for any climber?

Anecdotally for me, its depended on where the length of years in my climbing life.

Early on I would experience what you have; nowadays after more than two weeks off I come back with strength, but the endurance is awful.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gamera009 posted:

I was a solid V4/5 climber at 195.

Training for a year and dropping to 170 put me in V9 range.

:iiam:

No it's not. There are two ways to hold tiny things: stronger tendons or reduced weight.

If you have weight to lose, one of those things is a lot easier to achieve than the other

I lost 5 lbs over winter, and I jumped 1.5 grades overnight

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

The reason it's a mystery is because when you lose weight, you don't lose just fat tissue, you also lose muscle tissue. How much of each you lose, and from what part of your body, depends on a lot of factors, and can be difficult to optimize if not planned correctly. So you can easily find yourself in a situation where you lose weight and your performance (in any sport, not just climbing) suffers.

That can be almost completely negated by strength training during controlled weight loss, maintaining protein intake.

I cant imagine a scenario where healthy weight loss is happening while also being at a caloric deficit so high that someone accidentally loses muscle, unless they are simply not doing any weight training.

Supplemental weight training is still recommended for climbers, and metabolically is a huge asset to speeding up weight loss.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 22, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

+1 for focusing on climbing only at slightly submaximal intensity with max volume for your level/climbing experience

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It is if you're climbing near your max.

If you're doing submax stuff a few of those days, then probably not an issue.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Where are the best spots to fit shoes in person?

REI blows, and I want to avoid amazon

Let's say northwest U.S.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

Why does REI blow? Sure everything is MSRP, but you can buy the shoes, try them at the gym/outdoors, decide you don't like them, and then return them if they don't work, or if you find a better deal...

Otherwise your best cheaper option is doing the same but on Moosejaw/Backcountry, but risk them not having your size, unless your local gym also sells shoes.

REI pretty much only carries a few played out sportivas now. Their stock is awful.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

your local outdoor/climbing store, without knowing exactly where you live its hard to give recommendations.

Yeah, same conclusion I came to. How about Portland?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Next Adventure, Mountain Shop, US Outdoor Store are my go-tos, in that order which is mostly based on proximity to my house. OMC used to be good but I don't know what their in store presence is like these days, they shifted to online retail focus a while ago. Climb Max similar story, haven't been to their new shop but used to be a small but knowledgeable store.

At any of the shops make sure the person you're talking to seems knowledgeable and try to get someone from the climbing gear desk and not the general footwear area, you'll get much better fit advice.

I live in AZ. I was asking for my friend who is in Portland, I'll pass on the spots, thanks for the suggestions.

At this point I know what brands/models I like, I can't imagine asking anyone at a store or gym for shoe fittings ever again.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 22, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

My point is that I disagree with your point. To each their own.

E: i agree that there is certainly more value to be had by climbers that have less experience in focusing on climbing statically.

That being said, dynamic but precise movement is a necessity for learning how to become a better overall climber, and should also be trained periodically

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 22, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Are straight leg deadlifts considered as difficult as regular deadlifts for those with poor form? Those require much less 'proper' form than regular deadlifts, and cover all the same muscle groups.

Personally I haven't done a regular deadlift in years, and I'm much happier and climbing stronger than ever.

Squat sets of 5-3-1 are also good for posterior chain, for those who dont have poor form.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I can't recommend Eric hurst's rock climber's exercise guide enough, for every single person in here. Its like $20, and is the best investment you can make.

It contains a wealth of exercises with frequency, load, and intensity for every conceivable scenario, including general fitness, climbing specific, nutrition, and detailed processes for injury recovery of all sorts.

Specifically for the elbow epicondylitis poster: There is a workout where you take sledge hammer or resistance band, hold it by the handle sitting down, and rotate your hand from palm up to palm down (same motion you'd make flipping a pancake).
Reverse curls will also help

E: Rock Climber's training manual comes in at second place IMO, but delves more into scientific research and theory. Still good, but doesn't get down to the dirty exercise details as quickly or effectively

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 8, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

What's wrong with it?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I dont disagree with what you said, but there are very specific times and places for it. If someone can maintain high levels of motivation while constantly failing, but are still somewhat close on something that's hard then that can be a viable option. I personally dont think most people can do that.

In your own example, it took the person years to send their thing. But you didn't mention that the ancillary training that probably happened in that time? Nor if he was only climbing that thing every day (probably not?)

His approach is just saying the same thing, and really there are so many climbs in this world that narrowly focusing on one climb is certainly taking away from your chance to climb all those other great things, while still getting stronger to send the one project. And really, unless it's a precision dyno or something, it's unlikely you'll get stronger to do the one or two moves shutting you down w/o training in other ways for it.

Tldr; I agree with Hurst. If we were talking about bouldering, I would agree with you

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Keep in mind that feet can shrink over time too, to accommodate smaller shoes . . . If you're willing to put up with pain for a while.

I have a pair of scarpas that were absolutely too small for me when I bought them, I couldn't even walk with them on at all. Over time, my feet fit into them better, and now they are one of my best pairs of shoes. Not in small part due to the fact that they are smaller (and can grab onto smaller holds) than any other pairs I have. Synthetic upper, so no shoe stretch

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Betazoid posted:

For real? I'm sure the shoes just stretched out. Or is that the joke?

Idk, totally anecdotal, but my shoe size has definitely shrunk since climbing

Some other people I know have said the same

I mean old people shrink too, and Chinese foot binding is a thing . . . But physiologically I have no idea what the structural change would involve :shrug:

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 25, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gohuskies posted:

For a new climber looking to get stronger, bouldering is the way to go. You can get stronger fingers by having to grab small holds and work on technique/skills at the same time.

He's already bouldering.

I agree with sharks eat bear. Hang boarding can be useful, but you will have to trade short term loss of climbing time for long term strength gain.

You also won't see immediate strength gains from hangboarding, since tendons rebuild very slowly. Patience is a necessity.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Do you think that newbie gymnasts start their training by attempting iron crosses? No, because that would be loving stupid. Even if they have strong muscles, their joints and tendons won't be ready for the sheer amount of stress the exercise requires.

This applies to every sport: advanced training routines (i.e. those that are designed to address specific points of weakness, or bottlenecks that prevent progression, e.g. hangboarding) should not be followed by beginners. The reasons are obvious, and one doesn't need a degree in exercise science to understand why (and every exercise scientist worth their salt would agree anyway).

When you recommend hangboarding to a newbie, you're giving them dangerous advice, and it is frankly irresponsible. As others in this thread have said, building grip strength takes time and patience. It's not a matter of "train your fingers as much as you can". That's just a recipe for injury.

Trollolol? 0 reading comprehension.

Seriously this is some head in the sand poo poo. I've seen some bad hot takes, this is up there.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Whatever you say. :jerkbag:

Nm, not worth it.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 8, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Gym opened last Saturday. I went then, Sunday, Tuesday, and last night. Definitely over did myself, but holy poo poo climbing is like all I've been able to think about since that first experience. Rest days are the worst :(

I watched Dawn Wall shortly before the gym opened, then after reading through the past dozen pages in thread or so I decided to rent Free Solo on Amazon this morning. Absolutely incredible. I can't imagine climbing for 3+ hours straight, never mind 3000 feet up in the air too :v:

It's a drug. The best kind.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Climbing outside is very different than climbing inside. Training inside can ease the transition to climbing outside, but nothing improves proficiency in climbing outside more than climbing outside.

Climbing proficiency also increases very slowly. A year isn't very long, but it sounds like you have a good frequency going, and I'm sure you'll see improvement if you stay disciplined.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 22, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

prom candy posted:

Let's say I do have climber's elbow and I bought a flex bar and am doing the exercises that you guys were nice enough to recommended, how do I know when I'm ready to climb again? Should I be completely pain free in that area before I go? Should I do some pull ups or something at home so I don't burn the $25 day rate just to find out I'm still injured?

How often do you feel pain in the area? Is it sharp, dull?

Really you'll have to make the judgment call, but if its dull and manageable, without sharp pain, you can climb. If doing climbing movements brings significant pain or a sensation that it will get worse, don't.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

Coming from 15 years of judo and bjj with strength training focused on not building too much mass was a pretty awesome starting platform. Also my gym grades might just be softer than yours.

Thanks to whoever replied. I think I’ll go with 2 weightlifting session a week for the summer and try to hit the bouldering gym 3 or 4 times. I can’t get myself to stop front squatting and deadlifting though. I like to think that front squats have quite a bit of carryover

Make sure you're not gaining leg mass in the process. Maintaining strength is good, but any added leg mass is detrimental.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Electoral Surgery posted:

I am on the tail end of this program. I don't know if it helped my finger get better faster, but at least it's something to do.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/esther-smith-nagging-finger-injuries/esther-smith-nagging-finger-injuries.html

+1 for that bd rehab post

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Yea I try to talk to people, someone did give me some really good advice last night that made 1 problem go from "What the gently caress is this" to "Oh, that makes sense - I think I'll get it in a week or two". Unfortunately it seems like everyone is either crazy good and doing much harder stuff, or just starting out doing 1's and 2's :shrug: Like the one I got some feedback on last night, that was the second time I've seen someone else attempt it over the last 3 weeks I've been going :/

There is a V4 that is pretty simple, just has holds that are a little more difficult that I'm making good progress on.

If you're comfortable with it, you could post video of you trying to climb something and we could give advice based on what we see

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

:ohdear:

I'd be comfortable asking people for advice but I'd feel a little silly asking them to film me failing :v: Oh well, just need to stop being a baby I guess.

Oh? A friend who initially introduced me to the sport years ago said they helped him them. Oh well. Just something to fidget with at work then :v:

They can probably help with improving extender strength (and thereby increasing your resiliency to injury), but probably unlikely to improve forearm strength

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

rest his guts posted:

4x4s are the go-to for 'power endurance' training but might not be the most efficacious as far as bouldering fitness is concerned. I think people like them because they feel pumped after.

Here's a really good video by Will Anglin (my personal vote for best dude in the industry) if you insist on training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puQPbkwDFyw&t=1s

Basically yes. I'm fairly certain that most of us don't need to train until we are double digit boulderers and even then I'm not sure. Even with things like hangboards, it might be better to just climb the system wall or board (Moon, Tension) at a steep angle if you've got access to one. The benefit of the hangboard is that you can control the 'load', but honestly if your fingers are being destroyed at the mid-moderate - high-moderate grade you are likely not using your feet well or you are very heavy.

Is this post aimed at new climbers? If so I would agree, otherwise I'd have to completely disagree.

rest his guts posted:

4x4s are the go-to for 'power endurance' training but might not be the most efficacious as far as bouldering fitness is concerned. I think people like them because they feel pumped after.

Here's a really good video by Will Anglin (my personal vote for best dude in the industry) if you insist on training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puQPbkwDFyw&t=1s

Basically yes. I'm fairly certain that most of us don't need to train until we are double digit boulderers and even then I'm not sure. Even with things like hangboards, it might be better to just climb the system wall or board (Moon, Tension) at a steep angle if you've got access to one. The benefit of the hangboard is that you can control the 'load', but honestly if your fingers are being destroyed at the mid-moderate - high-moderate grade you are likely not using your feet well or you are very heavy.

Who is this post aimed at? If its climbers that have been climbing < 2 years or have bad technique, I would tend to agree that they shouldn't be doing specific training, but dismissing all training. . . :shepface:

The point of hangboarding isnt only that the load can be controlled, it's that specific angles that stress pulleys can be replicated consistently. That is how finger strength for different hold angles is built. Losing weight and improving footwork will most likely help 90% of people, but they are pieces to work on and developing finger strength can be done outside of those things.

I basically disagree with everything you said.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

Is this post aimed at new climbers? If so I would agree, otherwise I'd have to completely disagree.

Who is this post aimed at? If its climbers that have been climbing < 2 years or have bad technique, I would posit they should be careful about what specific training they do, but dismissing all training is just . . . :shepface:

The point of hangboarding isnt only that the load can be controlled, it's that specific angles that stress pulleys can be replicated consistently. That is how finger strength for different hold angles is built. Losing weight and improving footwork will most likely help 90% of people, but they are pieces to work on and developing finger strength can be done outside of those things.

I basically disagree with everything you said.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'd love any input at all :) I've talked to a few people, watched a few people do it and while I watch them I'm like, "Oh I get that" and then get I on the wall and it's just :psyduck:

Some people use those foot holds to the right, some don't.

The holds look pretty juggy but they're honestly super poo poo

From the video, it looks like your feet are too high. Keep your left foot lower by one or two holds, and flag your right foot to the right, then move your right hand up to the next hold.

You should feel your core engage to make that move, as a pose to scrunching your legs up

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I tend to 90% boulder indoor and outdoors. That other 10% of the year I'll sport climbing or top rope, but I really dislike having to carry around a lot of climbing gear, which makes other climbing hard for me.

Shoe talk: I think it's a good idea to try sport climbing first. Try finding someone to top rope with via a Facebook group, and if you like it, that will dictate the shoes you end up with.

Bouldering shoes are generally much more aggressive than sport climbing shoes, but if you choose to climb outside, the rocks nearby should probably play a part in what shoes you buy.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 11, 2019

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

rest his guts posted:

Disagree. Big Pinch Pinchin at 45 was put up by a pro at v7, is at least v6 but gets an easy v5. Many of the 3s feel harder than 6s which I guess is just like outside tho. Strong climbers love sandbagging each other it’s like the ultimate narcicism

I do feel like ihe T board specifically is the best thing I’ve climbed for developing commitment and contact strength

Every problem set by Will Anglin feels at least 2 grades harder than what it gets. The grading is really sandbagged and off most of the time, Its fuckin soul crushing, and it makes me feel like tiny tim everytime :corsair:.

It is great though, it'll turn anyone into a mini version of d woods, I've never seen a method of training that preps people for getting on the send train outside like the tension board.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I'm curious how many people in here have tried the tension board?

Every time I switch between plastic/the t board, I'm acutely aware of my fingers telling me that plastic is bad for them.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

rest his guts posted:

I think the Tboard is friendly on the skin but really nasty on the fingers. The one at my gym used to be stuck at 45 and I think feet cutting may have been more common than it would be at a less severe angle, though. There's a really cool problem called Marco Pogo where the crux is literally just a pogo into a painful crimp, and I feel like there's a lot of problems that really emphasize contact strength and punish your tendons.

That said, I really like it for developing commitment, contact strength and body tension and think it excels in that department because of the slick wooden holds - the rounded footholds, especially. Like the moonboard, I think it does a really good job of forcing really explosive movement and that its friendlier on the skin.

That said, it lacks variety. You're mostly climbing through your toes and the majority of the problems keep you squared up.

I don't think the non-periodized linear progression is do-whatever; ideally, you'll be doing nearly identical workouts week in and week out so progress should be fairly easy to quantify, it's just that everyone's skills training is and should be different, therefore it's hard to say what you should be doing. I've trained with pretty good success following this method of training, but am really bored of having to commit to certain drills when I just want to try hard.

And yeah, most good climbers I've spoken with agree that most people would benefit from more limit bouldering. I've seen plenty of relatively out of shape people climb well into V8 through sheer commitment alone. Nothing replaces a strong mental game and genuine passion of the sort that allows you to persist in spite of (perceived) failure. When I was working at the gym I climb at I once saw one of our local pros project a V10 for two hours, leave to go set at his gym, then come back and project it for two more. He didn't back off the problem until it was done, then he wen't home. The man's climbed numerous 5.14Cs and V14s and had 0 ego about it - wasn't drawing attention to himself, wasn't complaining about what a sandbagged pile of poo poo the climb was - he was just obsessed with finding a solution. Similarly, I once saw Drew Ruana come into our gym and day-flash an insanely hard climb I'd seen him take numerous attempts on a few days prior. He then sent all the other hard problems and left to go clear all the other local gyms. Both of these events left a strong impression on how I think about effort.

I agree with you, but I meant from a long term perspective. Over time, is the t board going to generally induce more or less finger injury than plastic? Say the wooden holds were used everywhere throughout the gym, and in another gym the tensions holds were used.

Which gym would have a higher rate of dinger injury? If everything else were constant. I'm inclined to say the gym with the tension holds would cause less injury. Of course they are not optimal to be used outside the board, but assuming there were different hold types using wood holds.

I believe due to the density of the wood (or some other factor I've been unable to isolate), the wood holds will cause less injury. Unfortunately this is only my anecdotal sense, as my fingers feel more tweaked by the plastic holds my gym uses, and maybe those are just old and made at angles that stress the tendons with force in directions that cause higher rates of injury.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

rest his guts posted:

Sounds like he doesn't rope climb. I don't really either, but if I were you I'd change my sessions in the gym to limit bouldering to keep up my power (if I am trying to climb anything harder than 5.10, which, despite what you can boulder, will be challenging without good endurance) then throw in some 4x4s and potentially some 20-50 move circuits on the system wall to cap it off.

So, basically your sessions would be:
warm up (light traversing/easy bouldering) ~10 min
work up to your max grade/problems that aren't at your max grade but you know you probably can't send (so poo poo you suck at) and do 20-30 attempts at that max grade. This should easily eat up an hour with proper rest.
-3-4x 4x4. If I were a V5 climber, I'd do something like V3, V2, V4 (in a style I'm good at), V3 probably. I think this style of workout is best on an overhanging wall since you're basically just trying to blow yourself out. I'd probably rest around 3-5 minutes between sets.
-end with circuits, 20+ moves. Big rest between sets, like 5-10 minutes if possible. You're either trying to simulate what an actual redpoint go would be like or you're just grinding out moves at a submaximal intensity just to fry your arms and fingers. If I'm going for the latter, I'd go for more moves (30+). If I am trying to 'redpoint' I'd probably go for 20-30.

non-climbing related, but a lot of rope climbers swear by running for general endurance. Idk how much progress could be made in two weeks, but I always feel really good after even a few sessions of cardio, which may or may not be placebo.

If someone had a lot of skill in leading/rope climbing, maybe this would make sense.

That person should rope climb, so they're not completely unprepared.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Do you have a radar app? I like storm or NOAA weather, you can even plug in long/lat to get the specific area you need to see what happened

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Heading to smith rock in a few days . . . Any suggestions for sport stuff that won't be swamped but is still good quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Yup... Bouldering is the worst

Reductive, at best. The gym clearly did not having proper controls in place to educate new climbers.