Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I would check Facebook climbing groups first. Also I think Joe’s is gonna be incredibly hot right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

No real pictures of me climbing but this was a fantastic trip. What a beautiful area.

The Angler -- that boulder down in the river -- is only a V2 but the starting foot chip is so obscenely polished that it would be like a V6 in my gym. I only managed to hold the start 2 or 3 times and then fell off immediately while going for the first move; I know I could do the rest of it if I could just get started. Oh well. Still sent a few V3 and then I was close to getting another but chickened out because I only had 2 small pads and no spotter as no one replied to my MP / Reddit posts :v:

Wish I could have climbed longer but the coffee shop I rented pads from closes pretty early. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow but I lost a lot of skin climbing there, then again at a gym in SLC

Also it was nice to get a sense for what grades are like at a famous crag, rather than my little local place that no one's ever heard of

Nice sounds like a dope trip! I felt like The angler is pretty sandbagged these days, I’m sure at some point it was v2 or 3 but it definitely didn’t feel like that to me. Were you starting a few moves in (not all the way to the right side of that face)?

There’s a six that starts all the way to the right climbing through the angler that’s a slab master’s dream, the angler is a few feet left of it

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I’m a pretty big proponent of lattice’s data based approach, they’re doing a climbing survey if y’all are interested https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelNXpdAbdHBQ7FddBnxRQNf2xHDEabdHgvjrLoQaiDVJ73WA/viewform

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Just went to turtle lake and sailing hawks in Durango this past week, what a great place to climb

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If you want to do some “light” reading, will anglin’s blog post on the tension climbing site is good

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

https://www.tensionclimbing.com/hangboarding-a-way/

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

the takeaway for hangboarding generally is:

1.) do a max strength test first. You want to be completely rested for this, you can use the crimpd app for a full step by step on how to work up to it and do it, check their finger strength section. You’ll probably need a pulley system and weights to add/remove weight.

2.) determine your goals - if you just want to get stronger finger strength for the long run or you have a training period, a good protocol is repeaters (6 sets, 3 reps of 7 seconds on 3 seconds off. Rest 1 minute between sets) at 70% of your max from step 1. Structuring the hangboarding in your weekly schedule is the tricky part, as well as deciding what the smallest edge you can reliably hold with at least some added weight.

3.) if your goal is to improve performance for upcoming climbing, you want to do max hangs. This is ideal if you have at least 1 month before your climbing - you can do anywhere from 85% max to 95% max. The protocol would be 6 sets of 1 rep, 7s per rep.
3 minutes of rest between sets.

You want to be well rested for protocol listed in 3, 2 is more flexible.

generally If you’ve been climbing for under a year, hangboarding is probably not a good use of your time.

As stated lattice’s training plans are very good, and All of their YouTube content on hangboarding is also good. Hooper’s beta is also great:

https://youtu.be/Mkjmto4bymY

https://youtu.be/yh-qjPU5YU0

https://youtu.be/jb9pSt6A0MU

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 18, 2022

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Eh I don’t remember him saying people shouldn’t hangboard prior to climbing for two years, but obviously that wouldn’t apply to every situation. For 90-95% of climbers that’s worth its weight in gold

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Two things I have to share: stretching your hamstring actually improves calf engagement, and therefore heel hooking engagement.

Building heelhooking/leg/hip flexibility for bouldering: https://youtu.be/3rwc6UPRzRo

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If you have a bar at home things like leg raises /windshield wipers/ working into front raises are very applicable

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Any Chicago goons? Can anyone recommend me a gym for bouldering near downtown?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys have any sort of advice on building endurance for someone looking to get into lead climbing?

Technically I've already taken the test and am certified, but never really had a consistent climbing partner so 99% of my climbing "career" the last ~3 years has been bouldering.

The few times I did get to lead, I had to climb 2-3 grades below my limit because the additional endurance requirements meant I'd just get way too burnt out fumbling trying to clip in lol. It was hard to get into it because I wasn't climbing anything fun / interesting that way.

Finally found someone cool, consistent, and not likely to move away [like my last 2-3 partners] so we've been top roping a little bit the last month or two.

We've been talking about taking the lead class together after the holidays and I should probably take this time to get back into shape. With the winter weather I've stopped biking to the gym and have gained like 10 pounds between reducing my exercise & just eating like poo poo lately. I've been trying to tell myself to start doing cardio when I climb but that hasn't happened yet. Alternatively I've been thinking about just doing laps on the auto belay 🤔🤷‍♂️

It sucks, but ARCing is hands down the best way to build endurance. Find an auto belay and go to town.

Power endurance is separate, and 4x4s or 6x3s on a board or systems wall is the way to go.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gohuskies posted:

IMO, the only situation where it makes sense to pretend to be leading while still on a loose top rope is learning to place trad. That's more involved than just clipping bolts. Anybody learning to lead sport should just go do it.

I agree with this perspective too, but everyone is different. For me the hard part about leading is being run out - that’s whenI find it more difficult to clip efficiently. The only way to practice the often weird and unideal positions you’re in when clipping is to lead

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Drago LVs are my go to outdoor shoe, and indoor shoe for boards.

I’ve heard good things about the zenist, but I think they are meant for sport?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Generally it’s the difference between trying to stand on small edges (hard midsole, sport climbing) vs. a soft midsole (more flexibility, easier to use your foot like a claw, steepness).

That said you can absolutely find overhung sport climbs, and vert boulders. Rock type near you will also play a difference, I generally prefer a hard toe box/midsole for granite, and softer shoes for limestone/sandstone.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Anyone have recommendations for must do boulder problems at Red Rock Canyon? Anything up to V8. I've already done The Pearl, Jones'n, and Pork Chop from a quick trip to Kraft.

Monkey traverse: starts below hyper glide and goes right

Bubble butt
The wave

There’s also a good roof if you go almost directly towards the mountain from monkey Boulder (technically gateway canyon) Avian flu and trytophan

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Just lol if you can’t tell if someone finished a climb or not. You can pretty easily tell if matching is hard at the end of the climb - sounds like trolling to me

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

1) I got the dyno. It was a BIG BOY dyno and Im very proud of myself! Rest of the climb was ez.

2) I want to upgrade my shoes soon, and am looking for good resources. I keep seeing a lot of La Sportiva and Scarpa recommendations for potential upgrades, but was curious if anyone had opinions on shoe brands OTHER than those two. I feel like every shoe website recommends one of those brands with the rare butora acro rec. The few times Ive gone to REI with a shoe in mind, it doesnt fit and/or is out of stock. I just want to have a good grasp of my options beyond the popular options.

Also if you have any recommendations I'm open to that too. I dont need a budget shoe (though I dont believe a 200$ is always better), and am looking for something for a more intermediate climber. Ideally, a multipurpose shoe that works just fine on the ropes as it does bouldering. I have some Scarpa Helix right now and I like them just fine, so Im in no rush to upgrade. But I get my bonus soon and I CAN upgrade...

Everyone’s feet are different. I recommend trying a bunch of shoes on and seeing what you like. REI’s selection varies massively by store, shipping from Amazon or Zappos is usually free

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody watch The Climb on HBO Max? It’s mostly good for looking at beautiful Catalonian terrain and making Chris Sharma seem like a slightly weird guy but if you’re into Reel Rock or anything like that, it’s decent.

I tried! I really did.

I wish they would have gotten some people with actual shots of being pro in the long term, I felt like all the casting choices were made purely for dramatic reasons. Makes sense for a tv show, but it made me sad that the no one cast had a chance to use the win as a spring board for an actual pro future

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Baddog posted:

Oh poo poo, climbing thread! Opinion on home exercises past hangboard and pullups? I've been eyeballing some pinch blocks. Not sure need much more than the 20 dollar ones off Amazon ... I mean, it's a sanded piece of wood with a pin through it.

(I'm afraid I'm not the climber, my kid is crushing comps tho. I'm the guy who scouts, drives, schleps gear up the approach and belays).

How old is your kid, how long has climbing been happening, is coaching being received from an on-site coach?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Baddog posted:

11, and for six or seven years now. In preschool he climbed up a full sized basketball hoop (along with everything else he could get on top of), and I figured I should get him into a gym and learn how to fall, from someone who was good at it.

Yep, he's on a serious team. I know, I know, I should ask his coaches. They are gonna say take him climbing more, hah! Kids climb to get on top of poo poo, not to do endless reps. I think there is some hesitation there as well cus they don't want parents going overboard. But he does want to compete with the very best, and getting/doing new stuff is always fun. Gotta mix it up.

Pinching 45s is prolly a bit much tho for now, hah. drat, are you actually pinch gripping the rims? I can't do mine without curling fingers around the lip.

Seriously just let him climb more. Moon boards can be had for pretty cheap!

Or like a bouldering pad or rope/gear could be good things, if he has friends that can go with him.

If you really want to switch it up maybe gymnastics? Getting kids exposure to different sports usually has many benefits.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Baddog posted:

That mini moon looks pretty decent? The standard is just over 10 feet at 40 degrees, so drat, don't think it would fit.

I guess if you're building your own wall, you can put it at just a few more degrees to make it work...

40 is plenty steep, I wouldn’t do more unless it was absolutely necessary

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The weather has been garbage this season. I live in the SW cuz I have like 5-7 really good areas I can hit fairly easily, and almost every other weekend has been rain or snow

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Slow News Day posted:

My buddies and I are doing a Colorado trip this summer, and are trying to decide between Salida and Durango. I've been to Salida before and am somewhat familiar with the climbing options in the area, but not Durango. Has anyone here climbed there? What is it like?

I’ve only bouldered in Durango, but sailing hawks was fun, and has some very quality sandstone. It’s also shaded for parts of the day, so you can easily get some good half days in the morning or evening. Turtle lake will be too hot.

Didn’t try anything else while I was there

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Rental shoes are awful, it’s a good investment to buy some shoes of your own if you’re climbing more than twice a month, but it’s not worth buying the $200 pairs yet.

I would recommend trying on a bunch at your gym and/or a REI and making a choice based on fit/feel. Glad you found climbing and welcome to never being bored again (when you’re climbing)!

I’ve never had to fit a kid for shoes, but I imagine they grow so quick that cheaper ones should be fine . . . Personally that might even be the one scenario I’d consider buying them used?

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 8, 2023

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Butora has wide versions of their shoes

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Strength training can act as a significant part of aging healthily

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I went once or twice earlier this season but I feel "burnt out" on my local crag. There just aren't that many problems that really call to me, and I rarely have people to climb with so only having 2 stationary crash pads makes it much less compelling.

I think I'm gonna try and relocate west to somewhere with better climbing next Spring. I should be done with student loans then, which frees up $730/mo to go towards the insane cost of living increase. Really not stoked about looking for a new job yet again but I doubt mine will let me relocate. I haven't been able to stop thinking about my trip to the Gunks last month and like drat, I love bouldering indoors but that's what I want to really do.

The SW is where it’s at for all-year climbing (and especially bouldering)

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It’s hard to tease out a specific outcome from a dataset (especially small ones)when there’s so many different input variables (noise). Yes it could have been the hangboard protocol, but it could have also been the increased volume of your climbing driving tendon adaptation.

Generally if you’re increasing the volume of your hangboarding from anything to nothing or (in Emil’s case) from probably once a day to twice a day, strength gains will inevitably follow on a long term horizon. I don’t think that makes his protocol “good” or “optimal” for everyone, but it’s definitely a tool in the box. Self coached climbers may or may not have the objectivity to figure that out on their own.

For you, since you’re going from no previous hangboarding to hangboarding, you should see a drastic gain in finger strength, period. It wouldn’t have mattered what the protocol was.

TLDR; vids are meant to get views, doesn’t mean it’s best for you - talk to a coach if you’re really trying to optimize your training.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 16, 2023

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

alnilam posted:

Let's not set expectations too high here

Seriously I know people climbing double digits that are under that bar

Avoiding injuries is mostly about listening to your body - preventing injuries is about doing antagonist work and strengthening body parts. A good benchmark is to dedicate 1/3 of the total time you spend climbing to antagonist work

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

My girlfriend and I had been climbing for years - maybe 5? She tied in indoors and started climbing, I was belaying. She got up to maybe 20ft? And missed a move . . . Only to fall straight to the ground. Neither of us had checked that she was actually roped

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Xyven posted:

Finished building my home wall on Christmas, just waiting on crash pads and it'll be strictly better than climbing at my current gym.

We originally wanted an adjustable angle, but ended up going with a fixed 45 degrees so we could have a 12' high wall. Warming up is a little rough, but realistically we'd almost never climb less than 40 degrees so an adjustable angle wouldn't add much.

Right now the plastic holds are super rough on the skin and I dry fire off all the slippery wood holds, so if anybody lives near Yonkers and wants to help breaking in a TB2 PM me.

Some highlights from the build:

Anchoring the frame into concrete. I've never drilled/anchored to concrete before so it took me a bit to get comfortable with using a rotary hammer, and then actually getting the tapcons fully sunk into the holes was a pain.

Board is connected to the base through a hinge and two support struts:

Finished adding all the plastic holds:

I measured everything like 10 times because I knew ceiling clearance was gonna be tight:

The wiring and LEDs at the back of the board. Plugging all the lights into the wall was the hardest part of this process and I think I have an RSI for my thumb because it takes a lot of force to get the lights into the little holes in the wall.

Final product with a poodle for scale:

:five:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Recently I’ve been having pain/irritation on my toes, which I assume is related to climbing shoes. There’s no sign of athletes foot, just my middle 2-3 toes feel almost raw. There’s MAYBE some redness but not really swelling. It’s been off and on for a week, and I can’t find anything about it.

I’m certainly going to go my doctor, but I was wondering if this is a problem anyone has had before?

It’s probably just tight shoes scraping on your curled toes. I have huge calluses on some toes now where the shoes have aggravated the skin constantly - you could tape them while climbing?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Can’t remember a single instance seeing me or someone else inside flag in the gym or outside in 10 years of climbing

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I've been ice climbing 2x and each time I wake up with soreness in my groin, centered on my inner-thigh/hip area. Anyone has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't happen rock climbing

Last time the pain got really bad later in the day, but today it's just sore.

Sounds like you need to do more Copenhagen planks

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

why the hell won't my fingers get any stronger? ive been climbing for about 18 months now. in that time, my dead hang on a 20 mm edge basically hasnt improved. i remember testing at like ~3 or 4 months as a curiosity. i climb regularly 3 times a week. i started hangboarding about 6 months ago to try to improve finger strength as id noticed after testing again that my brother, who started around the same time as me and tested the same at that 3-4 month mark, had gotten waaaaay stronger in his hangs and also was climbing way harder grades than me, surpassed by a fair bit. i have another friend who started about a month before me, and same story. i hangboarded for about 2 months, saw basically no improvement, then stopped altogether for a surgery that took ~6 weeks to recover from. it was an axial lymph node excision so it understandably affected my overhead hang/pull

my overhead pulling is basically back to normal (pull/chin ups as a benchmark), as is my overhead gripping/hanging. ive been climbing regularly again. now only 3 times a week, then hangboarding 3 times the next week (i alternate having my kids one week at a time with my ex and i climb on non-kid weeks, hangboard on weeks i have them). but... its basically back to normal, where normal is just not very good. i'm stuck at the 5.11-/5.11 range in my indoor gym, and have been for like almost a full year. really frustrating and disheartening, esp as the climbers who started around the same time as me surpass me easily (and even someone who we just introduced before my surgery seems to already be surpassing me...) :(

Do you Boulder? It’s really unlikely finger strength is the limiting factor for you, it’s most likely a lack of technique.

I would suggest getting a training plan or a coach.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

no vids of myself climbing until literally just yesterday when i climbed outside. my phone was too poo poo to take video for a long time.

hangboard routine is

- 3x10 7/3 repeaters at 65% of my max in 2 hand positions, open hand and crimp. i do a set of 10 open hand 7/3s, rest a minute, then a set of 10 crimp 7/3s, then rest ~3 minutes. i do this on tuesdays and sundays
- 5x2 7/3s at 90% of my max in 2 hand positions, with the same modality as above. i do this on thursday.

my max is ~180, and my body weight is around 170 right now fed and clothed. so my heavy days on thursdays are basically body weight. and i struggle with those. feels really pathetic to struggle at body weight 7/3s on 20 mm as my peers basically warm up with that

im about the same height and weight, and simultaneously doing a strength training routine this year. i agree with the mentality of "who cares, just try your best and have fun, and don't compare to others", but it's really hard for me in practice. ultimately i just want to improve, i don't necessarily need to match my peers. but being plateued so early for so long is so frustrating

i was bouldering until my schedule forced me to curb my gym time. now i try to exclusively lead climb in the gym, as my focus and intent is to improve outdoor sport climbing. my bouldering was fine, i just don't really like it as much as sport. it would be really distressing to learn that after 18 months not only am i still weak but i also suck lmao

my brothers friend is the head routesetter at our gym and he's told me the #1 easiest way for me to improve right now is my finger strength, so that's why ive chosen to focus on that. i otherwise maximize my goal specificity spending all my gym time leading

As someone else mentioned - being head route setter doesn’t mean poo poo for understanding physiology or how to make a climber better.

Finger strength has a very low likelihood of being the limiting factor at 5.11. I would suggest getting a coach, they will be able to give be you the best targeted, personalized training for maximizing improvement and overcoming your plateau.

improving your technique /endurance on the wall should easily see you to 5.12 - if you can’t afford a coach get a training plan from a reputable coaching company - power company, lattice, or a myriad of others out there.

If you can’t, then mix in a day of limit bouldering, and a day of doing sport laps , Keeping 1x/week of max hangs, one day of trying to max routes. Then once ~ 4-6 weeks is up, take a deload and mix up the routine

Hangboarding 3x a week is not what any coach would prescribe for you

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 18, 2024

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Verviticus posted:

hangboarding can be free with a gym membership. i dont think coaches are free. it takes a long time to benefit from tendon hypertrophy. why discourage someone from starting it if they're interested?

I’m not saying don’t hangboard, I’m just saying 3x a week is overkill for almost anyone except maybe Alex honnold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

i agree, but it's not an option, as i mentioned, which is why i hangboard. i'd rather not hangboard at all

Oh wow, totally glossed over the having kids part. Can you build a home wall? Get the kids into climbing?
Skipping climbing every other week is 100% the limiting factor here - consistency is king for gains