Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

That's an unduly short-sighted view IMO. Forearms might be small muscles relative to glutes and shoulders and so forth, and it may be harder to achieve meaningful hypertrophy, but if you want to make gains in finger strength over the long-term, you're going to need to build some new muscle and not just recruit whatever muscle you have today.

If you're losing weight specifically for climbing, you need to shift thigh and glute muscle mass too.

Long term finger strength gains are to be found in increasing the strength of the signal your nervous system sends. This is why a max-hang protocol is the best way to increase finger strength, rather than a repeater protocol which would produce far more hypertrophy in the forearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

What? This is off base. Yes recruitment is important and max hangs > repeaters for that purpose, but long term gains absolutely require hypertrophy as well as recruitment. You can argue that hyp can be achieved without needing to hangboard, but that’s true for recruitment as well. Strong climbers’ forearms do not look like normal people’s forearms, and that’s not just because of neuromuscular adaptations.

We started talking about this because I said that I think a lower protein intake wouldn't be the worst strategy for losing weight for specifically for climbing. Losing weight shouldn't be a long term strategy to begin with, and not getting enough protein means muscular atrophy. The heaviest muscles being the biggest ones being things like glutes and quads. If you're already in reasonable shape, lowering body fat percentage alone won't make as much of a difference to your power to weight as atrophy of big useless muscles. I'm not saying at all that bigger forearms aren't (probably) better, I'm just saying that smaller legs objectively are.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I had 6 or so days off due to the holiday and family stuff, and last night felt incredibly fresh. I was climbing as hard as I ever have been and never got pumped, and even after attempting routes that, for me, were about the top of my ability I felt ready to go again after some short rest. A route that had, a few weeks ago, been out of my abilities was now an easy warm-up.

This makes me think I am either doing something wrong with my recovery or that longer rest periods are just generally good sometimes. I'm leaning towards the former. As I'm hitting my late 30s, I've definitely found that my body is generally shittier. I'm hoping that getting back on the creatine/beta-alanine/BCAA supplementation will be enough recovery help without going into supplementation overdrive or psuedo-science.

Maybe you do too much in your average session. No heard of creatine being used for recovery, what makes you think it's a good way to go?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Do just train with it and stop taking it before a trip to drop the water weight or do you keep taking it?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Got some questions about wrist pain.

Do you work at a computer? I have the same problem when I get a bit keen on slopers.
Do lots of this bullshit now and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3TXMwSltU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

He's talking about on climbing trips. He literally names local projects as an exception

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Finally saw Dawn Wall yesterday. Flawless...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I watched Dawn Wall and Free Solo back to back. It was an interesting experience, but not because of the climbing.

What I found most interesting was the way both Caldwell and Honnold seemed to have difficulty with stable relationships, and treated their partners rather poorly. Dawn Wall didn't go into a lot of detail about Caldwell's divorce (although I've read more detailed accounts elsewhere), but in Free Solo Honnold treated his girlfriend like total garbage, and you could tell the documentary markers tried real hard to spin it as endearing/cute/funny. It made me lose some respect for him honestly.

I can understand that pursuing anything at such a high level requires making sacrifices, but why continue dating someone if you a) think so lowly of them and b) will be so ruthless as to tell them flat out that they aren't as important as your hobby?

Most people never find out what their priorities really are, and either assume or, worse, lie about what them to those closest to them.

Knowing yourself, and being honest about it, isn't ruthless in a relationship. It's a kindness.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 11, 2019

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

It's important to keep it in the context of him knowing he is extremely likely to die.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I mean, being a oval office to stop people getting close to him isn't an unreasonable coping mechanism. Cold as it seems

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I dunno. How he copes emotionally with that level of risk is pretty fascinating in a macabre sort of a way.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

The scene in free solo where Tommy justifies why he is ok with helping Alex was intense.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Jason Kehl's youtube channel doesn't get nearly enough love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsiGq8nkPJs The man is a true legend

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Ratho is a world class climbing gym and has really high quality instructors available.

One of the guys who grew up in the Ratho climbing team - Will Bosi - recently became one of only 6 people in the world to climb 9b+. Safe to say they know how to teach!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/venues/edinburgh-international-climbing-arena/coaching#EICAAdults

Looks like improvers stage is what you are after!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Would love some beta for this slightly overhung assholes of a problem:

https://imgur.com/YmF8M4X

The higher you get the more overhung it becomes, but it's never extremely so. Everyone I've talked to is stuck at that exact same spot, just trying to figure out how to get your weight around that big blue piece. The only people I know who can do it just use Tall People Beta which is totally not applicable for me :argh:

Given the absolute lack of chalk on the left side of that hold to the right, I guess trying to press into it with my right hand is not the move and instead probably supposed to just go around to the other side, but I can't seem to figure out what the hell to do with my feet really.

Seems like I need to get my left foot where that right heel hook is then bring my right foot over to that little chip off to the right, but trying to get my left planted in there is so hard

Look where your hips are at 0:28

It's really hard to tell from the camera angle, but as a general rule you want to rock up when you are in that position with the heel. Drive your right knee rightwards and try to get your hips/rear end directly over your right ankle.

From there you should be able to relax, find the flagging position for your left leg (maybe straight down, maybe a little to the right, feel it out) and be well in balance to match your hands or bump your right hand right.

This might be BS for this specific problem, it's really hard to tell. It just looks like your soul is telling you rock up but you don't have that motion in your repetoir

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 13, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

So it seems like the general advice for starting out is "just go climb" but is there anything that I should be thinking about or focusing on right off the bat, in the interest of developing good habits (or avoiding bad ones)? I can already tell I'll need to log some mileage before I'm even going to know what questions to ask about technique.

It's hard to work on technique when trying things that are hard for you. Treat your "warmup" time like practice time and have a theme for every warmup. Silent feet, straight arms on steep terrain, flagging, outside edge... there are so many. Pick one per session and really enjoy the first 20-30 mins or so of climbing where you just concentrate on using it.

I still do this after 10+ years of climbing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Also, just climb is good advice but doing some really basic conditioning can make a huge difference in terms of injury prevention and general progression early on. You don't need to even do anything as strenuous as pull ups.

A couple of times a week of 10 or so scapular shrugs, both from a bar and in press up position, and 30s - 1min of core holds (plank, hollow body will do).

How much it will help depends a bit on your background but a simple routine like that is going to do no harm but prepares your body well. If you feel any sort of sore after, it's probably too much.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Doubt it matters much unless it is for a really long time. I keep old ropes coiled in boxes.

Sunlight isn't good for them, that's for sure

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

UV treating isn't really a thing afaik, but obviously sunlight isn't getting to the core of your ropes wherever they are. Still I wouldn't hang them anywhere they might see daylight.

Something I only learnt recently how much nylon slings degrade. A 17kn rated sling can drop as low as 2 within just a few years. It's shocking how little it takes to snap old slings

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

You are much more likely to pick up injuries on a calory deficit. It's a good time to shift gears to volume rather than pushing your top grade

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Saying coordination problems don't prepare you for outside because you never do things that dynamically is like saying campus boarding doesn't prepare you because you never have to pull that hard on rock.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Lor Sabourin film is out now on YouTube. 5.14 trad in Arizona. Looks unbelievably cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahuiQT4xMdw

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Anyone been to the Dominican Republic? I hear it's good but internet info is thin on the ground

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Try repeating easier stuff with different beta

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I've had a lot of luck buying 2nd hand holds. Lots of people make home walls then never use them.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

It's just what you are used to. I have a much worse time indoors because I don't climb indoors much. Other people bother me much more than bolt spacing or whatever.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Pads are Super Effective!

You can do a lot with not many

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I tried that while climbing but curling up in a ball and making fleshy fists turned out not the be the beta

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Wrist strength is sloper strength but most people do wrist curls with dumbells if anything at all, but that is normally aimed at forearm hypertrophy.

Honestly it's effectiveness is questionable.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Muira lace ups are the best shoe in the world for slab/vert in my humble opinion. They fit me extremely well at least

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Used ones are the way to go for home walls. If you really don't want to, otherwise try to buy local. They are very heavy. I'm not sure where you are but I'd get whoever makes the best holds nearest rather than asking who makes the best globally. There are lots of good manufacturers and a mix is best anyway

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

No ifs, just butts.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Sab669 posted:

drat, excited to see more of Project Big. I've missed Ondra on the pro circuit lately.

He's just been doing a new 9b+ and a 9a onsight. Keeping it casual this year

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Typically they are bolted ground up using aid techniques from what I understand.

You can do it either way. The same aid techniques let you get in by rapping down but its super hard work. I've never bolted new steep routes but I've worked deep water solos on a gri-gri and re-bolted steep routes.

Dave macleod has a video on self belay with a shunt which shows various ways you can get into a steep wall without bolts in it already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4N2WGcABLo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I always use a gri gri.

I caught a lead fall recently that caused me to trip over a rock as I stepped to give a softer catch. In that moment I let go of the dead rope. Absolutely nothing bad happened. Use a gri gri.