Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

I've been putting off climbing for nearly a year, mostly due to injury and partly because I can't seem to find anyone willing to come to the gym with me, but I think this week I'll just head in there and ask people if they don't mind me tagging along. Failing that, I'll just hit the bouldering walls solo.

I'm also considering getting a crashmat for a spot of bouldering up on dartmoor at some point soon, though the real dream is to do a bit of deep water solo around the Devon coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

Hit the gym yesterday and holy goddamn have I lost a lot of stamina and grip. I managed a few problems of varying difficulty but having never done much more than bouldering and a little deep water solo at the beach/cliffs my style is really unorthodox at this point and I'm tiring myself out a lot more than I should be.
Really nice crowd there though, a dude taught me how to flag and I was repeatedly shown up by an incredibly skilled 4 foot tall girl with purple hair on just about all of the problems I attempted, which was cool and she even gave me a few pointers. Just watching the people there with all of their different techniques was really interesting and I learned a lot.

Back again tomorrow... Or as soon as my skin grows back and I regain the feeling in my arms.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

Someone put this on a shirt and I'll buy it.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

BOULDERING

Then both phones ran out of battery so no pictures of actual climbing. Good warmup on a few pretty easy problems but we were mostly just scouting the place out for anything that looked climbable / fun.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, me and a friend were checking out downtor. Since going I've looked up different problems to try there (and on the tors / boulders nearby) so I'll likely head out there again soon. The granite is really grippy but was tearing my hands up pretty quick. Might try cuckoo rock next time I'm up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

First time back at the climbing gym in 2 weeks and they've set up a bunch of new routes (no grades up yet) for an upcoming comp so I decided to give one on the 16M wall a go on top rope.

Turns out it was a 6c, so technically the hardest thing I've completed at the gym outside of the bouldering room.

Next week I'm learning to lead. :c00l: