Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

First try at bouldering today - noticed an indoor place 5m walk from my flat a few months ago, finally got round to booking the intro session (along with the bf, who's 6'4", and got to really abuse his silly reach). Really enjoyed it, though I might not be saying that tomorrow - forearms are gonna be sore as hell. Worth it, though! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Second session of bouldering today! Managed to do both the (3b/c Font) routes that'd beaten me last time - one was 'better technique', the other was ugly as gently caress and I'm planning on going again on saturday to try and figure it out better - I did it by making a slight jump/cling (to call it a dyno would be vastly overstating. Brown move, maybe) that I'm sure shouldn't be needed.

Quick question - is 'arete' pronounced 'ar-ett' or 'ar-ah-tay'?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Ta. I never did get french pronounciation down.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Huh. Didn't see that one coming.

Now I just need to learn how to climb up them, and I'm golden! :)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

wiki posted:

Liebacking
Climbing a vertical edge by side-pulling the edge with both hands and relying on friction or very small holds for the feet.

That sounds loving terrifying. I think a big part of learning (for me, at least) is going to be figuring out how to trust in the grip I have, and gauging my reach/grip/balance. Using hire shoes isn't helping, because I'm aware/paranoid the exact grip will change each time, etc, etc.

Also, I need to just loving fall off and take a big splat, unlearn the fear.

e: My bf said the cutest / most-sad-but-true thing - after the first very easy lateral climb, he pointed out that it feels kinda naughty, like you expect to be told off for climbing on the furniture. :3:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 12, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Right, third set of climbing pants I've tried, four if you count trying leggings on and refusing to leave the house. What the gently caress do people wear for climbing? I'm having a pig of a time finding something that doesn't bind and is lightweight enough not to make me overheat after ten minutes:
-My huge ancient denim skater-shorts (shut up) - fine, but only because they already have a massive rip in the arse (wore leggings under them). Waiting for them to actually disintegrate on the wall is distracting.
-Nylon reebok tracksuit - overheated, stuck at extreme stretching. Also reebok.
-Cut-off army surplus pants - binding at my knee. I bought them oversize to give myself more room, plus they were what the charity shop had :v:
-Leggings - ahahaha, no.

I'm deeply skint, especially after paying for month-pass at the bouldering place, so any ideas on cheap-but-functional would go down real well. Also, stories of what definitely doesn't work, so I can take it off the list.

e: I got a pair of 'craghoppers', look decent/loose/etc, but they're fully lined and way too hot for anything but winter extreme wear. Should I just hack the lining out? That seemed like a winner with the tracksuit pants, but then they were sticky.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 13, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:aaa: Amazing pics, it looks stunning there!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

I did a rockover! :downs:

4th session climbing (third with the bf), and we focused a lot more on 'doing easier climbs better' rather than 'hardest climbs we can do' - seems to be a lot better approach for the minute, it felt more graceful, and between us we worked out a pretty elegant solution (for our current skill) on a couple of the climbs! Silly newb stuff, but drat it's fun!

Happily, the route changes last week didn't change my (drumroll, etc) Evil Nemesis Problem, I will figure out an elegant solution to that fucker. Made it again, but the last move still feels sketchy as hell, and I love how fun 'solving' it is.

Still not happy with climbing pants (hacked-off army surplus, clung to knees when I got sticky), I'm just gonna have to give up and make my own ones, better ones, out of blackjack and hookers. :colbert:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

How long did y'all wait before getting shoes, and would you do the same now? And what shoes are best for 'noob just wants to save on the hire cost at indoor bouldering'? (I figure buying for anything specific is pointless now, I just want the cheapest that aren't actually rubber anvils)

The cost to hire shoes each time I go is 3.50 ($5) for Sportiva Tarantulas, so 10-15 sessions-worth-of-hire and they'd pay for themselves. I'm not planning on buying just yet, but any advice would help me research. Also, has anyone worn Tarantulas, how would you describe them (at the moment, I can just about manage 'minging yellowgreen' :v:), so I can judge relative to that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Tarnien posted:

currently working at a Sports Rehab clinic

Doing what?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

My shoes arrived today, Sportiva Tarantulas, just in time for having an afternoon free to go climbing. So nice not to be in skanky hire shoes!

:neckbeard:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

I spent the morning making climbing shorts. Tried them out this afternoon - they didn't disintegrate or constrict! :toot: I sent a climb that I'd struggled to make three moves on before, so I take that as 'shorts are good. good shorts.'

I'd post pics, but they're black lightweight-fleece baggy long-shorts, not much to see.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Big toes sore as hell the day after climbing - hurts to bend them. Is that just because I'm new to this and not used to putting so much weight on them, or a sign of a 'real' problem?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Cheers for advice, all, it's definitely in range of 'sore' rather than 'oh poo poo something broke' today. Tight shoes might well be part of it, I bought a little tight assuming there'd be some stretching, and it's worse in my foot-that's-half-size-bigger, so that'd make sense. Figure I'll give it some time to either get worse or for shoes/feet to break in before really worrying.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Aren't they just a mirror + glasses? Cos me and my superglue could do it for 5.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Footballers never have this problem! :argh:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Noobie boulderer (one month) - my knees get a bit banged up - maybe she scraped them and it got ground in? But agreeing with others that it's hard to imagine it not destroying hands before knees.

Trimming nails is unnecessary, because you will have no nails. :eng101:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Three hours climbing tonight, one move further on the indoor route I'm struggling with. Totally worth it. :)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Anyone got any advice on breaking in new shoes? I've got one foot bigger than the other, so that one's getting pretty sore after I climb. Is it just a case of 'wear them round the house'?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

How high is too high? I'm pretty skint, buying another pair isn't really an option, so I don't really want to risk breaking them. Heat is a good plan, mind you... Hairdryer time!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

I've been wearing them at home with double thick wool socks (not my sexiest look), and they were noticeably better tonight. :) Three cheers for brute force solutions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:saddowns:

I'm starting to get the vague impression I need to watch where I'm putting my knees more, you guys think I might be right?