Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Impromptu Flip posted:

Couple of newbie questions:

1) Are there template gym workouts for climbing? I've been lifting a few years and found bouldering a month ago. I lift three times a week and I'm looking at switching things around to climb twice a week; I want to keep some kind of 2-day gym routine as well as I can't make it to a wall more than twice. Maybe adding gymnastic progressions or other bodyweight stuff would make sense

2) There are some places that sell shoes nearby, so I'll go and try a bunch on when I can. Is there anything specific to look for or avoid in brands etc?

Seconding these newbie questions. I'm 29 and around 200 lbs, and starting to get into bouldering after an inactive january and february that left me with noodle arms. I'm really struggling to do anything except the easiest climbs, and don't know where to start improving my technique and strength.

Also: I got size 12 shoes because I have extra-wide size 11 hobbit feet, and I couldn't find any brands that catered to that. How can I tell if these are too large? Opinions on shoe tightness seem to vary, but I never feel like I need to take them off.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

gamera009 posted:

InjuryChat: Got to the topout section of Resonated, and ended up cranking on a dynamic move enough to tear the nail bed away from the nail on my right middle finger. separate about 2mm of the nail bed from under the front edge of the nail. Bled all over the place and made cranking painful as gently caress. Superglued it down and hopefully it will heal up in the next couple of days so I can crank on it some more.

:sigh:

:negative:

I groaned out loud reading this, jesus gently caress.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What's a send? Completed route?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

armorer posted:

Completed route, from the ground to a controlled finish, without any falls or takes.

I thought that was called flashing?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

armorer posted:

To the best of my knowledge there is no specific term for completing a route if there were takes/falls involved.

and in this context a "take" is what? like a redo on a grip or foothold if you slip, or is it backing up to try a different angle of attack?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

armorer posted:

"I've one hung that route 3 times now l, but still can't stitch it together past the crux".

COME ON. At this point you're just going out of your way to not use plain english. :argh:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Totally. Every hobby community has its slang, that's natural and I get it. But at a certain point it starts to feel like jargon for jargon's sake, and that can make even the most wonderful and welcoming community off-putting and insidery. If I need to learn a second language before I can start participating socially and getting tips on technique, that's an annoying barrier to entry.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's a slippery slope.

:hurr:

I'll see my way out.

:thumbsup:

Hope your finger bounces back!

Ubiquitus posted:

Reading comprehension is hard. Try again; the words were pretty simple but its seems you didn't understand what was written.

But like, nuance is hard, man.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

He wasn't, but the reply stands either way. Both of us already made it clear that we understand some jargon is necessary and good. It was literally the second sentence of my post :shrug:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

:stonk: How does someone end up in that situation?!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

You guys are nuts. Today I dragged my wife to the climbing gym and felt like Tarzan for making in to the top of an autobelay 5.6 without chickening out. My unironic goal for next time is to jump off the top instead of climbing halfway down before I trust the autobelay to catch me.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm sure. I went to the gym twice a couple weeks ago and couldn't stay on the wall. You're monsters.

You and me both, buddy. :thumbsup:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The rand is the upper to guard bit?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Jumped off the top of several autobelays today :black101:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Wrr posted:

Had to train myself to not fear the auto belay by climbing the baby-wall nonstop and jumping off progressively higher and higher. For whatever reason placing a hand on the auto-belay cord helps mentally, but I guess maybe thats not a great idea? Works for me.

For me it's a combination of the auto belay and heights in general, but this is exactly what I did too. :hfive:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I think I like autobelays more than human belayers tbh

Me too, but if you're a person who's bad with heights, letting yourself fall backwards onto a line that feels completely loose and unanchored until it catches you is an interesting experience. It's a mini leap of faith every time and I'm pretty sure the more experienced climbers around me think I'm batshit, because I'm gasping and laughing and grinning like an idiot every time I make myself do it and don't die.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rime posted:

As someone who lives in a van and climbs too much, there's a shocking number of women who think it's frickin' awesome. It's wierding me out.

Of course they do, pursuing your passion is romantic and sexy when you're looking at it from the outside and not seeing the sacrifices involved yet. Humans are great at zeroing in on superficially attractive things that are worthless or actively bad for us in a partner.

Like Honnold's "shrill" girlfriend probably doesn't think of herself as the girl trying to hold back Alex loving Honnold, Mountain Sperg God. She thinks of him as "my boyfriend Alex, who I actually ended up caring about so now I sort of wish he would stop doing this thing that is guaranteed to eventually kill him."

Both pretty human imo.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I took a leap off the top of the bouldering wall during a class and one of my knees made a knuckle crack sound (normal for me but horrifying to a normal person). The class instructor visibly winced and begged me not to do that anymore.

I think the habit comes from when climbing trees as a kid, because children are made of rubber and can leap out of trees and roll the landing with no damage, and when you're a kid you cling to whatever tiny dumb thing you think makes you cool. In hindsight this is probably why my knees are already garbage at 30. :ohdear:

Tl;dr: Climbing back down is good and advisable.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

My gym that I jumped at has padding that's more than a foot deep in the bouldering area. What loving monster uses SAND AND GRAVEL

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rime posted:

"So how about a season of mixed climbing and ski mountaineering ascents in the Rockies this winter? ", says the text from a kid ten years younger and infinitely bolder than I am.

Can't turn down an invite like that. :black101:

And we never heard from him again. :rip:

I finally made it official and signed up for my local gym's starter package. Got a month membership, a harness, chalk, bag, and shoes that fit properly (uncomfortable). Also ordered a nice yoga mat because they have classes every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and I want to climb and then do that twice a week. Let's do this poo poo for real!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Autobelay might also work, if you have them? To me those feel like nothing is there until you fall/jump, much closer to bouldering psychologically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm never climbing outside. :yikes: