Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Tots posted:

Attention DMV climbing goons, I made a space on Slack for climbers to get together around the various climbing spots of the DMV (also for daytrip planning). Let me know if you want to get in on it and I'll shoot you an invite.

Yo. I have a climbing buddy that just moved to the DC area. He's not a goon but I know he's up for finding some climbers so I told him about the group and he'd like in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Cool, gave him the email

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

BD just recalled a bunch of cams. Going to have to check mine when I get home...

Wow, second big BD recall in a few months(other being the carabiner one). Thanks for the post, will check as well

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

I have a sort of technical question, my labmate and I were going over various toprope setups. The way that I have typically done it in the past(trees are common for TR anchors here) is with static line- backed up fig-8 on one leg and webbing around second tree with a backed up clove hitch on a locker joining the webbing and static line. But, assuming you have enough static rope, is there any reason you can't do another fig-8 and just clove hitch a locker on that loop? So the same line. The clove hitch is just for easy adjusting for the master point. Hopefully my lovely mspaint diagram can clear up what I'm asking. The issue I see is that the carabiner is essentially going to be pulling and weighting the knot, maybe in theory rolling the figure-8? Maybe a bowline/EDK are better for that approach, or that approach is just no good because of the carabiner pulling on the knot to begin with?
Thanks

vs

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

El Marrow posted:

Please don't use a clove hitch to back anything up on an anchor unless you're setting up a snow anchor in the alpine.

Why not just set up two long sewn runners on each tree and join them at a master point?

? I'm not using a clove hitch to back-up anything. It's a part of the second 'leg' of the anchor. And I'm talking about when the trees are too far away from the edge and a significant amount of static rope is needed. I found this video with essentially the exact system I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLn59-1PzA0

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Agree you should have 2 long pieces of webbing or static line. Bring them around the trees to a masterpoint over the edge of the cliff. A lot easier all around.

But that's what I just described. The blue in those pictures is static line.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Yea, that's right about the fig-8. Yea, the clove hitch is really just to make adjusting the leg lengths/masterpoint height/etc easier. The crux(hehe) of my question is- is it ok to have a loaded carabiner above a knot(either a fig-8,bowline,edk,etc)? So the knot is making a loop but the carabiner is clipped on the loop above the knot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

LostCosmonaut posted:

Hey guys, just got into climbing at the local gym. Originally wanted to do it so I'd feel more confident / prepared for 4th class terrain hiking in the Adirondacks, but I've fallen in love with bouldering? Anybody got recommendations for where to buy shoes in the Schenectady/Albany area? I was thinking EMS, but was wondering if there was anywhere else (or if I should just get a pair from my gym for now).

I used to live in that same area. I bought my shoes at EMS in Lapham I think it was. Combination of there and the gym is probably the best selection you'll find (not online). You climbing at the edge?