Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F0rcefedReality
Oct 23, 2014
I'm an intermediate climber who is mostly lifts weights who is interested in getting better specifically at bouldering (there's a bouldering gym next to my house). I've starting looking for ways to get better at climbing in the time I'm not actually at the climbing gym and in my backyard, where I have a pullup bar and I've come upon thick bar training using my new fat gripz. I'm really noticing my grip being worked really hard as well as activating my forearms a lot more than regular pullups. How much transfer am I going to get with doing thick bar pullups?

What are some more things I can do to become a better climber outside of the wall? I have access to pullup/dip station, barbell+plates, dumbbells, and a flat to incline adjustable bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F0rcefedReality
Oct 23, 2014

Still B.A.E posted:

If there's a bouldering gym next to your house, why are you doing pullups in your back yard to try to get better at climbing? Cost of gym entrance?

Precisely this. Usually I buy a membership for 3 months at a time and go several times a week, then take time away because of the cost. My home gym is pretty much everything I could need for any traditional strength training + pullups/dips. With the addition of the fat gripz I think I'm getting good grip/forearm strength crossover.

big scary monsters posted:

F0rcefedReality, your experience isn't clear from the post but if you've been climbing regularly for a few years already you could perhaps look into very gentle finger boarding once a week or so. It offers huge scope for improvement, and relatively quickly, but your chances of injury are pretty good if you overdo it so read up first and take things very slow.

I really should get one of these. Actually I think the thick bar training is somewhat preparation for finger boarding. I know I'm not quite ready for some of those crazy holds yet but I've just started really focusing on my grip strength.