Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I just started bouldering again after a very, very long break and have a few bouldering questions!

Two sort of mild injury related ones:
1- sometimes my right wrist will hurt during climbing/after. I’ve been doing wrist stretches (I think intended to avoid carpal tunnel) and this seems to help, but wondering if this is common enough that there are specific things I should be doing?

2- the skin on my hands seems to be my big barrier right now, I’ve been occasionally getting skin scraped off enough I’ve got to stop. I’ve mostly just been waiting ~2 days and using a bandaid next time, and am also trying to be more conscious about not scrabbling for holds when I gently caress up (which seemed to be when my hand would get messed up usually). Is this about par for the course? Also if so, are there especially “sticky” bandaid brands which would be recommended?

Also, I should probably get climbing shoes to start avoiding rental fees. Are there specific better brands to look for (for someone with narrow feet), or am I probably fine with whatever fits in the store?

Lastly, is there a good resource to read/watch re: climbing form/technique tips? I’ve been picking some up just from watching/talking to people, but wondering if there’s a recommended source.

Ty for any advice on the above! Have really been enjoying climbing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the tips and suggestions, I really appreciate it! The bandaid + movement tips are super helpful, looking forward to trying these out more soon.

Ubiquitus posted:

Do antagonistic workouts to help your wrist, and body. Push-ups, bench, shoulder press

If you explain the pain and source more descriptively we can target more specific prophylactic exercises and suggestions

The pain is not really present normally, unless I use my other hand to push the wrist all the way down or up. Side to side is generally fine. I actually also notice the pain when doing pushups, but not when doing bench/shoulder press/rows/pull ups/any of the other exercises in my routine. I also notice it sometimes when I am attempting difficult routes -- I will work on being a bit more conscious about when it is flaring up. It's a somewhat sharp pain more than an ache, and usually stops after I stop doing whatever caused it pain, but sometimes it will persist a bit after. Usually once it has happened once in a session it is more likely to happen again later on.

I've been doing a 3/week lifting routine for awhile which includes bench and shoulder presses, but got a bit lazy about it the past month or two, so I'll be sure to keep that up more carefully.

I guess I could always just schedule a checking with a doctor on this, it felt excessive but maybe better safe than sorry given that I've got good insurance.

E: also my elbow joint is hurting/feeling tight. Probably should just check in w a doctor and see what’s up/maybe climb a bit less often than the 4/wk I have been doing.

tildes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 22, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any recommended stretches for like, my forearms? They’re getting super tight moreso than just tired after some climbs. I’ve been doing just 3/week along with sticking with general lifting + stretching beforehand and that’s made it feel a lot better afterwards apart from that.

Also, any recommended short stretching routines I could do every day? It feels like flexibility is still also an issue for me when trying to do some of the harder (for me) routes, even if it’s not hurting anymore.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

KingColliwog posted:

Why don't you like V6s with a big dynos followed by 2-3 V2 moves? How else would I claim my V6 climber status?

😬 hitting pretty close to home here. My technical highest difficulty problem completed is 100% just because I could do the first running start move, and everything after was v3ish.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Apart from doing antagonist exercises like bench press to keep healthy, are there specific exercises which help for climbing? Obvi core I assume, but like for forearms etc?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ah good call re: yoga/stretching, my flexibility definitely could be better. Especially being tall there are some routes where it’s just hard to get to footholds etc. I suppose it is hard to imagine a workout which helps climbing but doesn’t slow recovery even more — with my current climbing schedule I’m already pushed the time between sessions about as low as it’ll go. Maybe will keep forearm things in the back pocket then if I hit a stretch where I can’t climb for some reason.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
For some additional context: I’m lifting weights 3/week as is for general health reasons, so I was mostly curious if there are eg one or two lifts/accessories I can tack on to that which would be useful. Not really imagining I’d start doing super intense climbing specific training, though I really should start doing yoga anyway for general flexibility. Idk if that changes anyone’s thoughts. Has been interesting reading!

Also, when y’all are talking about weighted pull ups or system boards or hangboards, what level of climbing were you at when you started doing this? I imagine probably y’all were at a higher level than I am (v5s are pretty much my limit atm)?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
One of the public libraries near where I live is apparently widely known to be a V2 bouldering route to get to the roof and I’m very tempted every time I walk by.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone hosed around with making resin climbing holds? I’ve semi gotten into resin casting recently and apparently some people do this, but I don’t really get if it’s similar or not. I’m not sure it has any practical purpose without a home climbing wall, but neither does making another set of dice/keycaps/tiny dishes out of resin so 🤷🏻‍♂️

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Hi five to all the members of the 2021 first time climbing a v5 team.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have a few goals which are not at all hard to do, but I just need to actually go ahead and do them.

1) Start bouldering outside.

2) Start top roping at all, maybe outside.

Then some more goal goals. I have no idea how reasonable the grade goals are but hey, only one way to find out (all indoors):

3) Lose 10lbs, and then stay at that weight UNLESS I’m super making progress on weightlifting.

4) Get it so that I can reasonably expect to do most v5s after just a few attempts. I’m not really at this point with v4s yet so this will be a journey.

5) Do a single v6. This seems incredibly impossible to me right now but hey, might as well give it a shot.

6) Stick with a consistent weightlifting routine 3/week, physical therapy those days plus the ones I climb.

Eventually it would be nice to be able to climb more often - right now 2-3 times a week seems to be about the cap for recovery time/I’ve been told I’ll get tendonitis, but it seems like that’s something I just have to wait and see on.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What are the biggest rock climbing shoe brands/makes? A size 13 tarantulace fits, but those are getting worn down and I’d like something more aggro. I tried a size 14 butora and size 13.5 Evolv X1 and both are distinctly too small, I can barely get them on and my toes are all entirely curled up to the point the front is like bulging on the top lmao. A lot of brands seem to just not sell anything larger than this, and they aren’t stocked in stores near me in this size often (even when ordering for In store pickup).

It seems like Sportiva would be the best bet given that the tarantulace fit, but a lot of their models don’t seem to go above 12.5. Eg the solution 12.5 is the max

tildes fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 13, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
There’s a used hold sale at the gym right now and even tho I have zero chance of living somewhere that I could build a home climbing wall in for quite awhile I’m so tempted

(Also ty for shoe advice! Going to see if the solution fits)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
In the context of gym bouldering, how do y’all break up time between trying the very hardest stuff vs something else? I feel like I usually do like ~5 easier climbs maybe with pauses before holds etc and then spend the rest of the time just trying hard stuff (which for me are v5s or tougher v4s). So I usually end up only completing like ~1 of these routes per time I go to the gym but trying maybe ~3. Curious if there’s a more structured way to approach this- I’m sort of wondering if I am not using my time that efficiently by mostly failing/working on things longer term.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

KingColliwog posted:

Depends.

Thank you, this was helpful! I think I will try and integrate a bit more of this conscious structure in. Adding the hard problem repeat makes a ton of sense too- I do worry only doing stuff once and never again makes me not internalize what I learned.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have like the mildest ankle sprain in the world tho unsure why - it’s more likely to get sprained since it got really badly hosed up a few years ago, so I guess I wasn’t careful enough at some point. I guess I’ll be RICEing/checking in with my physical therapist again. Previously I was doing calf raises/spelling the alphabet with my ankle/a resistance band per PT recommendation. Wondering if anyone else has had particular luck with some other approach to helping strengthen a lovely ankle?

E; rip us with the back to back injury posts

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
TIL on a Kilter board I am like a v1-2 climber tops- I feel like I’m just used to better holds on that level of incline? Or every gym I’ve been to has been seriously sandbagged or both. It did feel helpful though, going to try it more often but maybe on lower incline to start.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ubiquitus posted:

Awesome thanks! I’m 100% interested in bouldering, and I’m near Union square so looks like dog patch might be my best bet?

Have you tried the rock parks near Berkeley? Are those worth a day trip? I’m eyeing mortar rock and stone face as potential for a good day trip . . .

Dogpatch is 100% bouldering so seems up your alley if you decide to go to a gym- it’s like 20 mins away from Union square with public transit I think.

If you end up in Berkeley outside you’ll also be reasonably close to Bridges in El Cerrito if you end up wanting to combine it with a gym. Haven’t been but it is rly well recommended.

None of these are super close to other non climbing destinations tho so I guess it depends how much else you’re trying to fit in.

asur posted:

I've never been to any of the Oakland gyms and don't see any reason to visit.

You should give pacific pipe a shot if you live in the bay imo. The scale of it is kind of crazy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any Manhattan gyms for bouldering y’all would recommend? Ideally south of Central Park just given the rest of the schedule, but if there’s somewhere great elsewhere I’m interested!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for the Vital recommendation! The roof view was a pretty amazing background for climbing.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
In college they had a set list of problems from v1-13, and then each team tried to finish as many as they could, with the caveat that each person could only do one. I don’t think this would work for beginners necessarily, but it was a fun way to have everyone be able to contribute something and try to push beyond whatever grade you were at.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any recommendations for freestanding home wall plans to use? Interested in making a small freestanding spraywall, but nothing super crazy. So far I've found this set of plans: https://sites.google.com/view/climberdad/plans, which seem all right, but I'm not sure if there is something obviously better out there that I am missing.

tildes fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ordering factory seconds online/getting used holds from gyms is really heavily tapping into the same psychology as gacha games for me. Real exercise of self control to not just get a million holds.

E: Also on this, right now the plan is to use a black diamond mondo pad as the thing to fall on for our little outdoors home wall. Are old mattresses actually good to use for falling on? Trying to figure out if it makes sense to go find some of them instead/in addition.

tildes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 17, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
X-posting from the DIY forum! (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944478&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=135#post524254666). I am puttering along with the planning for the freestanding wall, and I think have arrived at maybe the most idiot proof approach possible? But I am not sure - unsure if anyone has experience w this stuff.

tildes posted:

I am not sure this is the right thread for this, but I am making a homemade freestanding climbing wall and am curious for some advice.

I’m basically roughly following this guide: https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/how-i-built-backyard-climbing-wall-at-home

The nice thing about this guide is that you basically just build the wall onto an existing swing set A-frame. I feel reasonably good about my ability to build a swing set A-frame using brackets, and I feel pretty good about my ability to build the frame/climbing wall panels. The connecting the two part I’m a bit shakier on, for reasons I describe below.

The main differences are that I’m hoping (1) to get a climbing surface which is 8’ wide by 12’ tall (so 3 8’x4’ things of plywood), and (2) I’d like to be able to remove the climbing panels from the swing’s A frame structure during the (Northeastern US) winter and store them inside. I feel reasonably confident that the swing frame will be fine through a winter with appropriate lumber/treatment/a big tarp on top, but much much less confident about the panels being ok.

For (1), I’m planning to just get brackets to make the swing set frame with, like these: https://a.co/d/gDjdmhO. It seems like the support legs are intended to be 8’ 4”x4”s, so my initial thought was just to use 12’ 4”x4”s instead, and then maybe add some 2”x6”s running across as extra support. I am not really sure if this is a reasonable sounding change to make though- maybe 8’ is just like the limit of a viable swing set and the lumber will like crack in half or something? If need be I can just make the climbing surface 8’ by 8’ instead so I follow the swing set guide exactly.

For (2), my thought was basically that in step 3, where he attaches the frame with metal “L” brackets, I would just use bolts to attach the L brackets to the swing set frame. Then I can theoretically take the panels on and off at the start/end of each summer using those bolts.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Is there some much easier method I am missing here, or some clear issue with what I am planning that will make this all fail horribly?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, the fact that no one else is using these does make me wonder if I'm overthinking how difficult making the frame is going to be (or that there is some reason they aren't good for this). I was planning to use 4x4s probably -- hopefully sort of equivalent improvement in sturdiness. I guess I'll be able to report how it goes in a bit.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
the butt detail on the fourth to last panel is just a+

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have recommendations for a good beginner hangboarding routine which is maybe 10-15 minutes (though if it has to be longer that's ok, my perception was just that short is usually OK)? I can't climb for maybe a few weeks to a few months, but would like to at least keep some finger strength. Normally I don't hangboard since I've only been climbing for like a year, so I'm not sure what is best to do. I have 30, 20, 15 and 10 (mm?) edges, but i am weak and have big hands so I really only use the first two. I've also got a slightly bigger one I use for pullups.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Me last night (rubbing hands together): ok time to send this problem and finally get to the next grade
Me last night moments after falling off the starting hold in pain: oh good my calf tore

Felt this weird thud in my leg like someone ran up behind me and punted it, I turned around expecting a kid to be there who just ran into me while not looking where they were going or something

Never get old, it sucks poo poo

I would definitely recommend going to a PT at least once just to get a stretching/recovery routine if you’ve hurt yourself a bit.

This is kind of a half formed shower thought, but I really feel that the harder thing to do is not giving it your full effort, but having self control/taking care to not push yourself too much + do the warmup/support exercises. I feel like it’s a form of willpower in physical activity which doesn’t feel like it’s emphasized as much as it should be. At least for me it was not that hard to really push myself with eg running to the point where I’d give a bunch of effort consistently, but so much more difficult now to limit myself/do all the boring support exercises. Probably doing the former when younger contributes to the need for the latter.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I feel like you really can’t go wrong with strengthening your core, both for climbing and just general health in life, so why not? It can also be really fast- my impression is that there is not much benefit to doing a longer low difficulty/high reps core workout over doing fewer harder exercises, which rly makes core workouts such a minimal time investment.

E: fwiw I do kneeling cable crunches/weighted incline sit-ups/ab rolling mostly - my impression is that lower reps exercises and progressive overload just like any other muscle makes sense? But also I’m mostly not doing this for climbing so much as holding my aging body together. Will definitely try the stuff below, sounds fun.

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 26, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any climbing gym recommendations in Denver? It seems sort of hard to go wrong. Fwiw near the city center (civic center park) is most convenient for me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ubiquitus posted:

Any Chicago goons? Can anyone recommend me a gym for bouldering near downtown?

Not from Chicago but I’ve been to maybe ~5 gyms there altogether and from what I’ve seen:

First Ascent Block 37 is literally in the middle of the Loop and is probably the best bet? It was all bouldering and a small weight section iirc, but I liked the setting and it had a decent amount of square footage. I think that’s where I’d go if I was around the Loop/Chicago often.

Movement Lincoln Park is like ten minutes north on the El- it had a bit more workout stuff. The actual bouldering was about on par or maybe a bit less good than First Ascent, with one big exception: it has a really sick roof section where the floor goes up at an angle to match the roof, so you can do this really long roof route without ever having to fall more than ~5 feet. Haven’t seen anything like it before and I think it’s maybe worth at least one visit just for that.

Brooklyn Boulders West Loop also exists, but it’s not as easy to get to as the above i think, and I didn’t like it a whole ton.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

spwrozek posted:

Movement opened a gym in Chicago? They are really expanding the gyms they own.

Two gyms actually 👍🏻

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

armorer posted:

If it's someone you don't know, 100% let them do their own thing. If it's someone in your crew, or someone you don't really know but you've been projecting with for the session, 100% give them poo poo for every little dab. (Edit: unless they're new/newish. New folks get a pass.)

Honestly people starting to jokingly give me poo poo more instead of being only verbally supportive was one of the main ways I realized I was getting better

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Augster posted:

The plan is to tape up my tips and give that move 110%, catching that crimp even if it rips my tips off.

Getting secondhand concern for your tips from this

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Re: shoes for super wide (or otherwise weird) feet, I would super recommend Acopa: https://acopaoutdoors.com/

They do half size/split sizes, and you can email them to talk about sizing beforehand/get exchanges for other sizes. Just way closer to getting custom shoes than normal, for not thaat much more.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a good super simple hangboarding routine? I seem to keep intermittently injuring my leg, so something I could do in weeks when I can’t actually climb would be great. Not really trying to go crazy with it, but at least retaining my finger strength would be nice.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I’ve been doing hangboards on and off when I injure myself too much to climb, will try these out! I like the idea of sub max stuff you don’t need to be as worried about resting with.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

I support it! Having a child in flip flops campus my project with zero effort is just part of the charm of climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mezzanon posted:

Can anyone describe why a tweaked rotator cuff feels like? I get light pain and a slightly reduced range of motion in my right shoulder.

Follow up: what can I do to make this feel better? I’ve been working with bands and also low weight military press.

Oddly enough I think I tweaked it disc golfing

I hurt my shoulder relatively badly while mantling poorly awhile back. I got pain in certain positions, decently reduced range of motion, and it would hurt if I ever slept on that shoulder. It seems like yours is probably more chill than that, so I'm not sure if this is actually relevant. FWIW I found this to be very treatable by PT.

The only routine I have saved with the actual names is from when I first got the injury, but then I did standing shoulder flexion wall slides and the standing shoulder posterior capsule stretch. This was mostly from when it was at its worse.

Everything below here I am not sure if it will be helpful, but here is my attempt to describe what I was told to do:

Then I worked my way up to a bunch of stuff with bands -- especially like starting with both hands straight out in front of me with a band between, and then pulling them out into like a fly. Or to do one where you start out with arms forward and out a bit, and then rotate your arms all the way up over your head and behind you, then all the way forward again, and repeat. I am sorry these descriptions are bad - I'm not sure exactly what the word is for it, but the idea was to sort of activate my shoulders/back before climbing in particular. I also did low weight military press.

Even once the pain went away, my range of motion was smaller, especially reaching the injured arm behind my back. Instead of being able to get up to my shoulder blade it would stop somewhere around like the small of my back. To fix this I would gently stretch it by using a towel or band to be able to kind of pull it upwards with my other hand.

To long term improve mobility I found the stuff this trainer did incredibly helpful- she would run workshops at my climbing gym specifically on joint strengthening/health for climbing: https://www.nhandiimanfitness.com/mobility-training-1. I realize the chances you live near her specifically are low (tho she also does online I think), but I think that the keyword for her type of training is functional range conditioning: https://functionalanatomyseminars.com/frs-system/functional-range-conditioning/.
The URL makes it look sort of gimmicky, but I really liked at least her version of it. The idea is working on mobility, but also strength at the very edge of your mobile range, which felt very applicable to climbing. Doing her workouts regularly really made my shoulders feel so much more safe/strong long term when doing sketchy stuff.

e: Also lots of shoulder CARS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvPBEieIsWw

tildes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2024