Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

I just got into rock climbing this year and I'm loving it so far, the local gym is awesome and since everything is based on time-slots right now I never have to fight for time on the boulders. Haven't done any belaying yet but I'd like to eventually. I was wondering though, how often does everyone go climbing? I haven't developed a consistent routine yet but I'm finding myself pretty drat sore going ~2 times a week, but I assume that will get better. Maybe every other day type of thing? Do you guys run or something like that during the off-days?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for indoor climbing, I didn't see a climbing thread in YLLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

Thanks for the feedback everyone, that's about what I figured. I'm thinking I'm going to plan to go every other day and see how I feel on rest days about doing other stuff. Maybe I'll wait a little while until I'm not so sore after each session to do cardio or something on off days haha.

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

I was climbing fairly regularly earlier this year for about 4 months, and then stopped for about 4 months. I'd like to get back to it. I'm climbing about 3 times a week again and I'm feeling the initial soreness that I experienced the first time again, thankfully my technique is still pretty good and I'm finding myself getting back up the difficulty levels fairly easily. One thing I'm finding though is I don't feel a ton of core engagement, maybe because I'm back down to V3ish levels for a problem I consider just enough to break a sweat. I don't know if my abs are still good (because I put on a little bit of flab in the time I took off) or if I'm just not working my core enough.

Would it be worth doing some simple body weight ground work core exercises on my off days?

WOW what a Taco!
Feb 8, 2022

Thanks (to you and the others) for suggestions. I'm mostly looking for stuff I can do at home/in my room on rest days. But it makes sense that they won't be super applicable (that old adage "want to get good at climbing? Climb more."), so maybe I'll just try to activate my core more during climbing days instead.