Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I went climbing with my friends for the first time ever the other day at a free outdoor rockwall and it was awesome.

If I want to be able to go solo and autobelay I just need a harness and chalk/bag right? Because this shits hella fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh right shoes. I can't buy those online. But my friends climb this rockwall barefoot without a problem so for now I was gonna not.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tynam posted:

Do you have pictures of the rockwall by any chance? I'm genuinely curious to see what people are able to climb barefoot.

I don't. It's an artificial wall though and nothing too sharp/abrasive, it's just outdoors in a park.

Fake edit - http://indoorwalls.com/listings/Scioto-Audubon-Metro-Park-Climbing-Wall

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Irving posted:

Coerce a friend into going if you can. Autobelay gets real boring real fast since you usually only have a few routes to choose from. You can boulder solo as well, and bouldering is like 90% social hour 10% climbing, so if you don't have climbing buddies already, you're sure to get some! Also, I have in the past just grabbed people on the auto belay and asked if they wanted to climb.

Yeah, my friends already have all the gear so I don't need rope or the lead climbing stuff. I just want to be able to wander down there on my own sometimes when I feel like it and climb a wall. Once I can go up any of the walls I'll also have more money to throw at this. I always kind of wanted to try it it and I had a total blast.

Edit- Tried some shoes at a local place. Clintonville Outfitters if any Ohio people hang out here. The guy was super helpful and now my big toes hurt just a tiny bit but that'll stretch. I climbed a bit on their little wall and could really feel the increased friction. Was instantly sold.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 23, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've been slacking but yesterday I went for the first time in a couple weeks and made it to the top of a route I definitely had trouble with before. Yay!

Then my friend taught me how to rappel and that was pretty fun but I think I need gloves. My belay device bit me a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Anyone climb in the Columbus Ohio area? Looking for gym reviews and eventually nearby outdoor areas once I feel back in shape enough to do that.

E: just moved there. Usually a gym climber, but did climb outside at the New River and Cooper's Rock when I could. Probably doing V2ish now, would like to get back to the v4-5 inside I was able to do before when I was climbing regularly.

There's a free wall at the scioto audobon park that I've always liked. Haven't been to the various bouldering gyms but vertical adventures is pretty good.