Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well you don't want to be carrying anything that might hurt if you fall on it, which is... well anything. I've heard of people getting huge nasty bruises and cuts from landing on keys and stuff like that. I'd say though if you can get cargo pants with the pockets down on the sides of your lower legs or something that might not be so bad since you'd be less likely to land with weight there than if they were in a side or back pocket? I only do bouldering so I don't know how much of a worry this is for roped climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

guppy posted:

I am introducing friends to the hobby, with some success. A lot of them are fit and take to it no problem, but I have one friend who -- although she has been very gung-ho -- is having a lot of trouble getting going because she's out of shape. She isn't even doing routes right now, just using whatever handholds are handy, and still can't reliably get up the wall, and generally only manages 1-2 attempts per evening.

She's upbeat about it, not getting discouraged or anything, and she loves it enough to buy gear and everything already. So that's great. But I'm a little worried she'll get discouraged. I try to give her technique advice and be motivating, but I'd welcome advice on helping her improve, if any of you guys have experience getting people who aren't in top form started.

Maybe try doing traverses across the walls (side to side) using whatever holds are available? It depends strongly on how your gym is setup but this can be fun and can have a mix of challenging and easier sections, while also teaching you some of the technique of how to grip various holds without wearing you out quite as much as climbing up the wall.

E: I'm talking about a bouldering wall here in case that wasn't obvious.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 18, 2013

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bouldering problems tend to have fewer holds than some of the taller roped walls. At my gym they range from about 5 to 15 holds depending on the type and location, so if stamina is an issue it could be good to use some of the shorter routes.

That said I'm not all that experienced (~8 months) and I've only ever done bouldering so I don't actually know how roped climbing compares in practice.