Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Walked posted:

I'm headed to the LA area next week for work. I'll have my girlfriend in tow which means climbing is a possibility.

Is there any decent outdoor sport available in the LA area? We'll have a car, so driving is no big deal. Needs to have a reasonable bit of 5.7 - 5.9 stuff for her. Prefer not to toprope as its woefully inefficient to do with two people climbing at different grades AND I dont really want to haul that much gear across the country for it.

edit: Echo Cliffs looks good on mountainproject; confirm/deny?

The Stumbling Blocks in Malibu have a nice range of climbs that both of you can enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Fontoyn posted:

Good advice. Doctor found the problem, some minor inflammation on the tendons because my gripping muscles are overdeveloped and my extending muscles are poo poo. It can be fixed and I can keep climbing as long as I ice it often.

Rice bucket workout!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Forcing myself to take time off to let me fingers heal is driving me insane.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Anyone wanna trade left ring fingers with me? Or fix it with a miracle cure? Mine seems to have tendonitis.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Rotator cuff strains suck.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
This not being able to climb because of bruised soft tissue in my shoulder is really lame.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Inflamed tendons suck.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Trip Report: Red Rocks is amazing, 30 ish foot lead falls (Yaak Crack is amazingly fun) are scary as gently caress, highballing (Perfect Poser in cold weather = you can't feel the holds!) is scary as gently caress.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
I'm probably over estimating the fall length but it felt pretty far.

edit: Was also pulling slack when my grip failed.

magicalmako fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 9, 2015

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

borapt posted:

Anyone know any good bouldering spots around Santa Barbara/Santa Monica/Pasadena area or on the way from the Bay Area? Heading down there and want to try out some climbing on the way.

Santa Barbara has Lizards Mouth, the Brickyard and the Playground, all sandstone.

There is Stoney Point, south of Santa Barbara for more sandstone fun.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Shoulder impingements suck.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Cracks are hard.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Does anyone have crack climbing tips? I'm bad at it.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Nifty posted:

Pink crack, ~v3 at Black Mountain, SoCal. while staring at this problem a shirtless guy smoking a cigarette comes up and says "ooooh yeah this one is fun" and proceeds to climb the boulder WITH his cigarette still in his mouth, and no pads on the ground. And then I chickened out and didn't finish the top out :(

Oh hey I was there on Saturday! I couldn't get my hands to stay in the crack :(

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Shoulder pops are scary :(

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

jackchaos posted:

If it's yours read up on subluxation. Start doing preventative stuff like yesterday.

Thanks! I'll get started, luckily it seems like it was something minor, my shoulder is only a little bit sore and stiff and healing nicely.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Getting your gear stolen sucks :(. At least it happened when I'm injured!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Minor slap tears are fun!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Trad is rad!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Mythos forever and ever!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
TFCC injuries suck :(

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Guys why are shoulders so fragile?

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Don't get golfers elbow everyone!

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

beat9 posted:

Slabs are the best.

This is a funny way to say overhangs.

But yes I need to get over myself and climb slab to improve my mental game and footwork.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Mythos forever and ever.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Sick Trip Report!

Was the approach the worst thing ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

Anyone have recommendations for must do boulder problems at Red Rock Canyon? Anything up to V8. I've already done The Pearl, Jones'n, and Pork Chop from a quick trip to Kraft.

Alexisizer, V6, slopey fun times!
Monkey Bar, V2, really fun classic
Hyperglide, V4-5?
Classic Monkey, V6,
Monkey Bar Direct, V8
Natasha's Highball, V2 sick rear end highball
Perfect Poser, V1 sick rear end highball
Potato Chips, V2
Plumbers Crack, 5.9 (the back side)
Plumbers Crack 5.10 or v3 (front side, depends on how you do it)

All I can remember off the top of my head.

magicalmako fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 30, 2022