Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Bud Manstrong posted:

I work basically across the street, so let’s figure out some lunch bouldering when it happens. I’m going to stay at DBC, but I’ll pick up punches for nu-Spot though.

Mos def. if everything goes well, we’ll be one of the beer sponsors. I’ll make sure we get a hop-free beer in there for you.

Gotchu fam. 👊💯🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

When? It snowed 4-8" this past weekend.

interrodactyl posted:

Alright goons, I'm going to be in Denver for some shenanigans and it's time to ask if y'all think ElDo is going to be decent for bouldering. If not, any other promising locations? And any particularly fun problems up to ~V7?

Depends on the boulder. The water rock and the hogsback are in the sun constantly, so not too bad in that front. Spwrozek is right that it snowed recently, but if temps stay around 40, it’s probably fine. Certain bits of Flagstaff might also be fine.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

3/20. And yeah the backup plan is to check out a gym, so thanks for the offer. I'll see how it is as the date gets closer, and if anyone wants to come through, the more the merrier.

Should be fine then.

If you hit up Boulder, drop a line. I can get you into the spot gym for free, but I’ll be gone during the weekend (fishing in bend).

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Not sure how I feel about watching people free solo. On one hand, their lives, their prerogative. On the other hand, I don’t want to be around when someone plummets to their death.

I’ve seen people free soloing in Eldorado Canyon and it always skeeves me out.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Went out and bagged Pig Dog. Great climb though the top is sketch.

I think I’m done with try-hard V9 or pursuing V10. I have way more fun at V6. :(

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Happens.

I tweaked my left ACL playing ultimate, and waited two weeks. Eased into climbing the last week and during a really simply tiny drop knee, I heard a pop and now my ACL/knee is killing me again. :(

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I can only imagine what my crampons would do to my floors and cabinets.

The garage gym now has a kegerator with two taps active. And more holds.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

But how do I stay 6' away.... :(

You don’t come in. This is mostly to post about how I have officially recreated the Spot in my garage now. Only I have a bigger selection of beer.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

How tall is your garage gym?

About 12' tall. It's a single car garage, but the height is there. It's nice to have a bouldering gym in the garage to train, and a few taps for beer and sparkling water.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Haven’t done it outside, but did it for a while when I was helping out at a gym. I was how you adjusted stuff on the wall quickly and an easy way to test short sections of routes you set.

You won’t die, but it does take a little bit to get used to it. Same as anything.

I was using a grigri for the belay/block. Dumb? Probably, but that’s normal for me.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I guess in a fit of rage, my wrist decided to either go full stress fracture or significant sprain.

Oh well. Back to fishing/biking.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Sab669 posted:

What do you guys wear for Pants for climbing? I try to wear shorts most of the time, but with the colder weather coming it's usually just long johns / leggings + shorts over those. I managed to get a fairly expensive pair of pants for 50% off, described as "a soft shell slim fit pant for the guy that lives to climb" but they're definitely an inch or two too long, so I guess I just have a new pair of general outdoor use pants :shrug:

Thermal under layer and a bunch of the Verve poo poo. Super comfy and stupidly easy to move in.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Going to try to book an appointment for a MRI. It appears I may have retorn the labrum in my left shoulder.

:smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the climbing/gym scene in Tampa?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Jesus Christ. Tampa is a goddamned wasteland for climbing. :smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rorobb posted:

- native Tampon goon

There’s only one gym in the Tampa/St.Pete area. I’m surprised there isn’t enough to sustain a second gym in Tampa.

I want to believe there’s enough to support a CrossFit/bouldering gym that had a small cafe/bar in there. Something similar to how some European gyms operate.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gyms that have a bouldering area as an afterthought to the autobelay walls are terrible. :smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Which route? I was there earlier fishing with a buddy.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

It was Swanson Arete, which I thought was only fine and I'm not sure why folks recommend it so highly; the final bit was fun, but the rest was meh. Wind Ridge is the better climb IMO and usually what I take folks on at that grade

The Wind Tower is classy as hell and has a great view from the last platform.

If you see someone fishing down there with a fixed line, it’s probably me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Hahaha I got an e-cargo bike to be more conscious of my footprint and get more exercise.

Had it tip accidentally loading it up after Costco, and the pedal somehow magically slammed the top of my foot. At least the break is clean.

I was just getting back to 11s on lead. :smith: