Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Is the foundry centre in Sheffield any good? I've never climbed and I want to do a taster course, they offer one and from the pics they have a pretty cool setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I booked my intro course at the Foundry in Sheffield. I'm excited!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Did my first taster session at the Foundry yesterday, LOVED it! definitely gonna finish the course and join the regular climbing club. I know I'm not particularly good yet but I was still amazed how well I was able to support my own weight and how well I could cling onto some surprisingly slight grips, but then I'm 65 lbs lighter than I have been pretty much my entire adult life so that's hardly surprising. We had a go on the bouldering wall at the end and I was really bad at it, the more dynamic movement was really tough but I know with practice I'll get better and stronger.

Any tips for avoiding neckache from belaying?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
wheeeee, first pair of rock shoes yesterday! They're not MEGA tight so probably a little on the large side for super pro climbing, but I'm a total beginner and nowhere near being limited by my shoes yet so I'm just super stoked with them. I was doing routes I had no chance at in my trainers, just coming down I noticed the difference, I used to slip and slide all over the place but this time was fine

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Going to watch the finals of some bouldering event in Sheffield tomorrow. I've only been climbing (indoor top roping) a few months so I'm excited to see how the high level dudes do it and marvel at their skills.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My wall is getting three new Autobelays, for a total of six, 2-3 routes on each (usually two I can do or attempt, one that's beyond me at this point). Apparently one may be going on the fabled Main Wall, previously a lead-only wall with big overhangs which I've never been on because I don't do lead climbing yet. Super excited!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I like my autos because my regular belay partner often fails to show up with little to no notice, for a variety of reasons (last week was car trouble, several weeks in a row was looking after a friend who was having serious life problems, other times it's traffic or being delayed at work). I like to just show up and climb, so on those weeks I'll buddy up with a random person in the gym if I can, but failing that a good variety of auto routes is a godsend. They're good for warmups before my buddy arrives too.

I also like the fact that an auto can't accidentally help me over a tough move with just a little too much up-force like a belay partner might, if I do an auto route and I stick with the hold rules then I know I've done it properly, with the best will in the world a human belayer can occasionally get a little overzealous once in a while.

plus floating down like I'm on the moon is awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
anyone here like watching climbing? The British bouldering champs are in my city again this year so I was thinking of swinging by on day 2, there were some seriously impressive moves last year, obvious even to a total non-bouldering casual climber like me

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

IrvingWashington posted:

Ah drat, I'm not going to be over in time. On the plus side I'm moving from mid-Missouri to somewhere around Leeds about a week later, so if you're ever up for some Peak District fun, I am more than down. It's been way too long, I'm stoked.

Never climbed outside I'm afraid, but gym buddy has offered to take me out some time later this summer

In better news, my wall got two new Autobelays set up and they're both on walls with slight overhangs that are otherwise used for lead climbing. All the other toproping/auto routes are on walls htat are mostly straight or have a slight slope in the climbers favour, so long overhang walls are new to me. SO fun but SO much arm work, ima get so swole!

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 26, 2016

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TheDon01 posted:

Thought I'd share this too. A chalk bag I sewed up for her birthday next week. She had this cool galaxy jacket she loved but it got ruined, I dug it out of the trash and hid it away. I used heavy nylon from an old duffel bag and lined it with the fleece lining from her jacket.

that's awesome, and a really sweet idea. do you have a link to the pattern you used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
back at the wall tomorrow for the first time after a month off from climbing. My hands are gonna get wrecked :)