Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
After Sucker Punch I'm really intrigued to see what Snyder does with this. Sucker Punch was a movie that came from a place of deep loathing of "fanboys" and their mindset and now he is literally making a movie about their jesus.

Worrying part about all this though, is that Sucker Punch wasn't particularly a good movie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fortunately, Snyder isn't writing or producing this one. I think he really got in over his head with Sucker Punch in terms of what he wanted to do artistically and thematically, and wound up with kind of an incoherent mess. He needs that outside restraining influence.

You're right. I expect Man of Steel to be way better than Sucker Punch. But I do expect Snyder to explore similar themes - he's done it to a degree in all his movies (well I haven't seen that owl cartoon).

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Sucker Punch wasn't really a satire. The point wasn't to ridicule anything. The plot was an elaborate metaphor connecting "Hollywood grrl power" action movies, to a Nevada brothel, to a 60s-era sanatorium. The failure of the movie was, it wasn't particularly entertaining, whether you got the message or not.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
By the way catch the trailer in 3D if you can - the 3D is really good in it, starting with the shot of him floating underwater.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Interesting rumor regarding the Jimmy Olsen character in this:

Looks like she's named Jenny Olsen, and is played by Rebecca Buller. Link

Not concrete evidence or anything, but it seems like exactly the sort of thing Zack Snyder would do in this movie.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
You know what this movie needs? Kal Penn playing a villain

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
That massive octopus might just've been a leftover prop from Watchmen, actually

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

DeimosRising posted:

Looks dope, especially hairy, shirtless blue collar Supes saving proles from a collapsing symbol of capitalism and environmental degradation. Hopefully this is the premise of like, at least 60% of the film.

Henry Cavill is definitely the Buffest Superman, yes.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Fireless Phoenix posted:

I agree.
Perhaps I completely read into it but there seems to be a degree of familiarity between Superman and Lois Lane in the interrogation scene implying that maybe they work together prior to that?

Impression I get from that trailer is before becoming Superman, Clark still uses his powers to help people, just in a kind of anonymous, in-the-background way, and Lois Lane is a reporter who has heard rumors and such and is trying to track him down.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Overall I liked it a lot. Dragged at times, but all blockbusters do these days.

There wasn't the subversive subtext most Zack Snyder films usually have, but maybe I just missed it.

They really went all-out with absurd sci fi wizardry with all the Kryptonian tech and I loved it. Ridiculous sci-fi McGuffins that contort the plot into weird twists is practically a Christopher Nolan cliché at this point but it works well here. Superman defeating cosmic wizardry led to some really cool images.

The weakest part of the script was the villain and the film gets drat lucky because Shannon *kills* it as Zod.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Toady posted:

Another Goyer interview. One part that jumped out at me:

This interview is great. Zod as a colonist/settler is an angle I didn't think of, and it totally works (and is a very Snyder move, IMO).

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I wouldn't go so far to say Faora stole the show, but yeah, Antje Traue completely owned the role and I hope is back in some way. What a fox.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Ben Affleck could work as Batman since he'll contrast well with Christian Bale's ultra-serious grimdark take.

Unless that's what he goes for in which case it will be a disaster...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Sir Kodiak posted:

gently caress Daredevil. Did nobody watch any movie in which Ben Affleck appeared in the last twenty years?

Yeah, and then they saw The Town and Argo.

• Locked thread