Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Still, that ending seemed very unsatisfying. Maybe just because I'm used to games having no gameplay after you defeat the end boss. I do think it's really cool it records your earlier play. Just wish it had more of an effect on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Domus posted:

Still, that ending seemed very unsatisfying. Maybe just because I'm used to games having no gameplay after you defeat the end boss. I do think it's really cool it records your earlier play. Just wish it had more of an effect on things.

An unsatisfying final boss is a Gradius staple :haw:

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

heh, keep in mind Tsym that you're talking to someone who's Shmup skill level is probably a "1 out of 10" (okay, 2 if I'm feeling generous. Some of the pre-NES scrollers are okay). You saying Touhou is easy compared to Cave games, I look at it and can see where you're coming from. However, that's like saying being shot with a pistol is better than being shot with a rifle. Either way, I'm hosed.
Fair enough, but I'm sure that it's mostly down to practice and how much time you're willing to spend on it. A few years ago, I couldn't even clear the Touhou games on Easy. I've obviously improved pretty dramatically since then, so I don't think getting good at these games is outside the realm of possibility for anyone.

Dectilon posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was impossible to master or anything. It's just that I look at the speed and can't help but think that if you can master the timing you might as well not have any visual input at all. Just close your eyes and repeat the precise pattern. Granted my reaction time isn't the best. Maybe I'd think differently if I actually tried practicing it.

UFO is the hardest?! I think that's the one I've had the easiest time beating of all the games from 6 up to it (up to hard mode, not lunatic though. Maybe that's the kicker).
Actually Hibachi moves around during the pattern so closing your eyes would make that final pattern pretty difficult. But you can pretty easily see the "lanes" already, and once you enter the array, you should be good for a while at least, and as long as you don't explode instantly upon entering the thing, you should have a good chance of surviving for a fair amount of time.

And yeah UFO is definitely the hardest game in the series on Lunatic. Hard may be a different story, as the jump in difficulty from Normal to Hard is different for each game (SA has a pretty big jump in difficulty from Normal to Hard, and EoSD has a pretty intimidating too due to how few resources you have). But the jump from Hard to Lunatic is undoubtedly the biggest in UFO.

Ha the inclusion of a "victory lap" level after the previous one is a nice touch. Sure ending the game on a really terrifying final boss may leave a very impressive feeling on the player, but having him pretty much take control during the "ending cinematic" if you will is a cool idea too. Of course, it's kind of hard to say if that actually adds anything to the player's experience considering this is a shmup, so the player has literally no connection to the protagonist anyway, but still a nice touch. Can't wait to see what the 2nd loop looks like!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Byde posted:

I would like to play R-Type I and II for this thread, but unfortunately my voice sucks. I've basically mastered both games (except for R-Type II's second loop) and could easily do one-loop no-death runs for each.

Speaking of which, R-Type and other older shmups send you back to the beginning of the stage or checkpoint when you die, so it's far easier to practice those games than modern shmups which forego the concept entirely.

And we've already dealt with one of the hardest Irem had to offer (Metal Storm's Expert Mode). Only Image Fight's second loop has anything in comparison to that.

...drat, I miss the R-Type thread. :smith:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Tsym posted:

Actually Hibachi moves around during the pattern so closing your eyes would make that final pattern pretty difficult.

Does he move randomly then? Because if not then the pattern would still be the same every time. Not that I seriously suggest playing with your eyes closed :downs:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You know that mad old soothsayer who swears he can see the paths of the future unfurling in the entrails of a dead animal?

That's your average bullet hell fan trying to work out the pattern to a boss.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Bellmaker posted:

An unsatisfying final boss is a Gradius staple :haw:

The door that closes before reaching the left side of the screen is the true final boss of Gradius games. :colbert:

If nothing else, I always figured the idea was that you'd already taken out all of its defenses, but on its own it's nothing. Kinda like Mother Brain without all of those Cheerio-shooting lasers.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Bet you forgot about this. Well here's the finale:

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 22, 2013

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Forgot to ask--since I plan on doing Startropics 2 regardless, would you guys/Dectilon want to see it in this thread? Or should I make a seperate one? The action is considerably harder due to some new freedom of movement that breaks the game, and it definitely gets hard from chapter 4 onward.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't forget! Was debating asking about it again, actually :v:

That is a neat ending.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
It depends. Does the sequel also involve yoyo-related injury?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't forget! Was debating asking about it again, actually :v:

That is a neat ending.

I do like when games give you the time for a victory lap like that.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
No unfortunately... Mike gets a strange variety of new weapons in the sequel but no Yo-yos. We start off with infinite throwing axes and go from there. :black101:

The game is also silly as hell and I will very likely bring in a co-commentator or two to make fun of said silliness. The game has a pretty good difficulty curve, it's a lot more steady than ST1 that's for sure, but it starts kinda tricky and stays that way throughout. It's hard but in a less dick kind of way.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I can get behind some axe-throwing silliness. As long as we get a bit of an analysis I'm happy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congrats for finishing! The analysis of Dick Move Omega was especially interesting. Do those hatches always open in the same order (bottom first, then top)? If so, then a little watching of the boss's patterns should make it reasonably clear when you can attack him and when you can't, so even if you could jump over the spiked balls you probably would prefer to stand on the hatches instead.

Doesn't make being unable to jump over those things less of a dick move, though.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
I don't care where you post it, but post it. I've been really loving your startropics run, and would love to see the sequel. On that note I'd like to extend a thank you to each and every contributor to this thread. This is my favorite thread in LP at the moment and everyone has been excellent. Watching skilled players play skill games and talk about why they love them/hate them is always good.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
As a kid that room confused the poo poo out of me. I figured I was just screwing up the timing for jumping over the death disks rather than realizing the game changed the basic rules of the game for this one room. Also you always want to stand on the top hatch because the bottom one opens first--this way you get a warning when the top one is about to open. The whole thing itself isn't too hard if you know what you're doing, but there's no one to tell you about the changes the first time you walk in, so.... :shrug:

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
You know, I really do think that Startropics had one of the best endings ever for the era. I always loved the pixel art montage. Can't wait to see you cover the sequel!

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

thevoiceofdog posted:

I was about to post in this thread asking if I missed this.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Where's my modern Startropics remake, Nintendo? :argh:

I wonder if there's any etymological connection between the Argonians from this game and the race from Elder Scrolls?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Melaneus posted:

I wonder if there's any etymological connection between the Argonians from this game and the race from Elder Scrolls?

Haven't played Elder Scrolls, but I'd guess the reference is to the Argo, Jason's ship in the Golden Fleece story from Greek mythology. I could believe that the term has been co-opted to mean travelers or voyagers in general.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Forgot to ask--since I plan on doing Startropics 2 regardless, would you guys/Dectilon want to see it in this thread? Or should I make a seperate one? The action is considerably harder due to some new freedom of movement that breaks the game, and it definitely gets hard from chapter 4 onward.

What they added in difficulty they took away in plot, that's for sure. But still, I'd be cool to see a playthrough of it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Melaneus posted:

I think there was a rumor a while back that it's what Retro was working on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Haven't played Elder Scrolls, but I'd guess the reference is to the Argo, Jason's ship in the Golden Fleece story from Greek mythology. I could believe that the term has been co-opted to mean travelers or voyagers in general.

Argon is a Noble Gas too.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Melaneus posted:

Startropics is the perfect(?) sort of game for a god of war style 3rd person game. All of the weapons are flingable and circular in attack arc, etc. I would play the poo poo out of a game like that.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Dectilon posted:

Does he move randomly then? Because if not then the pattern would still be the same every time. Not that I seriously suggest playing with your eyes closed :downs:
Completely randomly. It certainly says something that I know of only one person who has ever managed to no death Hibachi's final attack without save states. In fact, he actually managed to no death the entirety of Hibachi's fight. You can see his run here.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Wow that Core room was so deliciously evil. But otherwise a great end to the run! Thanks for showing the game off in style voiceofdog!

Also the fact that Mike uses a yo-yo in some of the pixel art was ridiculously hilarious to me. It looks so silly.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I wouldn't exactly say that the argonians were saved from extinction. Seven people isn't too good of a good breeding population.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Tsym posted:

Completely randomly. It certainly says something that I know of only one person who has ever managed to no death Hibachi's final attack without save states. In fact, he actually managed to no death the entirety of Hibachi's fight. You can see his run here.

:catstare:

This is the type of poo poo where I can recognize that there are gaps, and see where you have to go, but by the time I'm seeing them, they're already gone for all intents and purposes. That is just absurd.

Wanamingo posted:

You know, I wouldn't exactly say that the argonians were saved from extinction. Seven people isn't too good of a good breeding population.

Assimilation into humanity is kind of like being saved from extinction. Aside from the no representation of your culture and nobody acknowledging it in any way, shape or form.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Daerc posted:

:catstare:

This is the type of poo poo where I can recognize that there are gaps, and see where you have to go, but by the time I'm seeing them, they're already gone for all intents and purposes. That is just absurd.

There are worse things. :unsmigghh:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Drewjitsu posted:

Startropics is the perfect(?) sort of game for a god of war style 3rd person game. All of the weapons are flingable and circular in attack arc, etc. I would play the poo poo out of a game like that.

That makes me think of the Rygar remake that came out on the PS2. I'd hope it would fare better.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Edit: Dumb poo poo.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 23, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Aaaaaand that's the end of that if you don't mind.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Contra III: The Alien Wars: gently caress YES
Extra subtitle mine

Contra 3 is the action packed SNES incarnation of the beloved Contra series. It includes a lot of callbacks to previous games, new weapons, awesome victory poses, and bosses bosses bosses.

Admittedly, Contra 3 has a lot of memorization involved in its difficulty as there are a ton of minibosses and gimmicks, but there's some random factors that will keep you bobbing and weaving past bullets. It's fun with two players, but I'm a lonely guy, so we're doing a no-death run on Hard difficulty with one player.

A Brief History of Contra Up Until Now

An alien force named Red Falcon tries to take over the world in 2633. Bill and Lance kill it. That's Contra. It was an arcade game first, but you're probably more used to the NES version than the arcade one. It was called Probotector in the UK, blah blah blah, machine guns, aliens, explosions.

Red Falcon returns in Super Contra for the arcade, known as Super C for the NES. This time, to get extra lives, the code's like Down Up Right Left A B. Pretty sneaky, Konami! Anyway, we defeat Red Falcon again.

Operation C was for the Game Boy, and introduced a new alien overlord known as Black Viper. Bill defeats him, too.

Now, we play as Bill and Lance's descendants Jim and Sully because... uh, I don't know. Look, we're killing Red Falcon again for loving up America.

Is there a Konami code?

gently caress no. You can up the lives to seven and you get like 3 continues, and that is that.

edit: According to Dithiannim, you can on the Japanese version, and you get unlimited continues. What a sad version.

Anything else?

This game is fun as gently caress, and I'd recommend to anyone. I still think it stands up as one of the best of the whole series.

STAGE ONE- Where Red Falcon blows up a city, so we destroy his car, hijack a tank, and further destroy the city with a plane before fighting a turtle.

STAGE TWO - Where we use tactical analysis on a map, traverse very underfunded highways, and use pod droppings to kill a boss. Also, I hope you like MODE 7 because there is a fuckton of MODE 7.

STAGE THREE - Where we blow up rolling turrets, snipers, bat creatures, a drill thing that also walks, more snipers, a flying grenade launcher with a spotlight, mounted turrets, winged soldiers, and SNATCHERS. (Maybe sorta.)

STAGE FOUR - Where we blow up motorcycles, tanks, hoverbikes, jetpacks, motherships, and a walker... uh, thing.

STAGE FIVE - Where we do more Mode 7 stuff and fight a really tough boss. Thrice.

STAGE SIX - Where Everything Explodes

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 1, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

We're off to a good start! I had no idea you could destroy the nest on the turtle's back. Never tried I guess.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Oh man, I loving love Contra III. I'm glad you're playing it correctly, too (L+R posing after boss fights, not skipping the hilariously overdone intro). Never managed to get through all of Hard Mode, looking forward to what little differences there are.

As a side note, the game's audio seems a bit loud. This is not a complaint--the game deserves to be heard. :allears:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

BlackFrost posted:

As a side note, the game's audio seems a bit loud. This is not a complaint--the game deserves to be heard. :allears:

Yeah, I... This is tough. I loving love the music and considered subs, but you don't want to take your eyes off the action, so I opted for "slightly louder than usual" background audio.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'll have to say, Super Probotector looks really weird to me if you have these guys instead of robots running around and shooting things. It just looks so wrong!

(If your're wondering what I'm talking about, this was my first contact with the Contra-series:)

Because of this, the "real" Contra looks like a strange romhack of the "original" version to me. The dangers of being European, I guess. :v:

On a sidenote, there was a gameboy-version of Probotector -was that one also a retooled version of a Contra-game?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

That reminds me, I should play Turrican again.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Contra 3 is such a great game. I'm still kinda partial to the original NES Contra, purely out of hardcore nostalgia, but Contra 3 is just all explosions and aliens and machismo all the time and it's near impossible to not love that.

My greatest video game shame is never beating Contra 3, even on easy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Awesome, Contra III. It still gets a fair bit of play time in my old SNES. I'm looking forward to the insanity of you beating Level 4 in one life. :suspense:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread