Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Slowbeef, we need you to do the robot playthrough of Hard Corps! You're the only one we can count on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

alcharagia posted:

Do you keep the Killer weapon that you go into the Cossack fight with for the rest of the game?
I wish! The endgame is hard. There will be other weapon craziness though.

unpronounceable posted:

Someone else collected all the sources. One of my favourite tracks in it is Diveman's Stage.
I've seen this and it's a really cool resource. Be warned that the level names in the document could spoil you on later levels a tiny bit, and the other pages on that site have some spoilers. That's why I didn't add it to the main post (at first) - the fact that a 'classic' Mega Man has spoilers worth avoiding is pretty cool. Personally I think we haven't even heard the best music yet.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If you can't get enough of Minus Infinity, I suggest looking at LP Racer Ragny's youtube channel. For his birthday, he was going to stream a bunch of games. Right out the bat, he got sent RMI to play blind. The stream ended up instead being him stubbornly playing through it all, and ignoring all advice on what to do. He manages to buster duel ALL 8 masters successfully.

Also, an easter egg I've learned about regarding the late game for this: :ssh: Use the Toad weapon to win the Toad Man refight. He doesn't actually die, just turns into a little toad, and you can move on. During the closing credits when the stats for your Master duels come up, this counts as a "draw"!

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!
Look at me finally being competent.

Captain Bravo posted:

Slowbeef, we need you to do the robot playthrough of Hard Corps! You're the only one we can count on!

I second this! Slowbeef, you need to continue showing us all up with Contra games.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Zeikier posted:

Want me to leave the C/D Ending paths open for you, or could I just show those levels off as Ray and Fang while you do your thing as well?

Nah, do what you like. Honestly, I'm not anywhere near as good at Hard Corps as C3, so I'd have to practice a lot anyway.

0080F0
Feb 14, 2012

Phiggle posted:

Cossack 3: Purification Plant, aka "Phiggle's Bizarre Adventure" aka sorry this took an hour

If you used Dust Recycler on the w-container in Cossack 2, you'd only take 8 damage from spikes. :cheeky:

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
But Dectilon played Cossack 2 :argh:

Actually the Shock Guard you get reduces you to 1 bar of health on spikes. I found out about it when I was doing a bonus video for after the beta playthrough. You can see all the Recycle Inhaler pickups at the end of the beta highlight reel, and I'll repost the whole bonus video when it's time. I wish we'd known about the Shock Guard and other pickups beforehand though. It would have been so useful. As it worked out, my play in Cossack 3 is beyond shameful. :(

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Phiggle posted:

R4MI post
Oh. Oh dear. And I was just discussing doing an LP of this with the good who convinced me to burn my :10bux: on the forum in the first place. Now it'd just feel silly and redundant to do such a thing, despite how much I feel I know about the game.

Any thoughts on how this could still work? I've been itching to take a crack at this and I'd much rather adhere to the original group's plan of action, if any. I have no intention of disrupting the ongoing LP.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cheez posted:

Oh. Oh dear. And I was just discussing doing an LP of this with the good who convinced me to burn my :10bux: on the forum in the first place. Now it'd just feel silly and redundant to do such a thing, despite how much I feel I know about the game.

Any thoughts on how this could still work? I've been itching to take a crack at this and I'd much rather adhere to the original group's plan of action, if any. I have no intention of disrupting the ongoing LP.

The game's long enough that you could probably just make your own thread for it, if you believe that your LP will offer something that theirs doesn't. Simply Simon runs a thread for each Mega Man game, and it works just fine.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zeikier posted:

Update

I don't have a whole lot to say about the Junkyard. It throws a lot more bosses at you, particularly at the end.

You didn't show the branching path :(

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Phiggle posted:

You can see all the Recycle Inhaler pickups at the end of the beta highlight reel, and I'll repost the whole bonus video when it's time. I wish we'd known about the Shock Guard and other pickups beforehand though. It would have been so useful.
Speaking of the recycle inhaler, does it work on the weapons dropped by the bosses in Cossack 4? Considering it works on practically every other special item, I'm kind of curious if it works on those too.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

Smart Car posted:

Speaking of the recycle inhaler, does it work on the weapons dropped by the bosses in Cossack 4? Considering it works on practically every other special item, I'm kind of curious if it works on those too.
Nope, doesn't even convert the pickup to anything. Side note, you can Rush Cannon any of the minibosses in Cossack 4 - they don't have dodges like the robot masters do (we'll show them soon).

Cheez, I agree with Nidoking. No reason you couldn't still do a thread on it if you wanted. If you're just getting started like you say, you might want to go to the Sandcastle with a sample first for some feedback. But clearly there's a lot to show in the game!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Am I the only guy who finds the music in Minus Infinity absolutely intolerable? Technically accomplished, sure, but it's just not Mega Man.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

RabidWeasel posted:

Am I the only guy who finds the music in Minus Infinity absolutely intolerable? Technically accomplished, sure, but it's just not Mega Man.

I'm pretty sure earlier in the thread there's a link, but it's all music ripped from other games. So yes, in a very direct sense it's not Mega Man, but at least it's not some horrible homebrew soundtrack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do have to agree that the Minus Infinity music isn't the greatest. Rockman no Constancy (a very solid MM2 hack, if with a slightly smaller scope than MI has) has a much better selection and execution.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Better late than never. Thanks to Dectilon for letting me show off a game I really like a lot (but maybe was too short for its own thread.) All good games must come to an end, and Contra 3 is no exception.

STAGE SIX - Where Everything Explodes

A peaceful time will come! Until two years later when Hard Corps debuts, that is.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

^^^
Woo! Contra double-whammy!

The Merkinman posted:

You didn't show the branching path :(

In due time. In due time. :ssh:

UPDATE

I got a few things that need doing for the time being, but here's Ending B and A, played through by Ray and Fang, respectively.

Level 5b: Ray

Level 5a: Fang

I'll do an alternate take when I get the time, but for now here's two levels for the price of one to make up for that.

EDIT: Also, give this song a listen. It only plays in these paths for about 10 seconds and it's woefully underplayed.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 1, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Very impressive. I have trouble keeping track of everything in the fight against Red Falcon (the part where it has a human face). I also love the poo poo out of that boss theme.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Dectilon posted:

Very impressive. I have trouble keeping track of everything in the fight against Red Falcon (the part where it has a human face). I also love the poo poo out of that boss theme.

Yeah, the final boss theme is :black101: as hell. Not the best song, but it really gets you pumped to blow poo poo up. Unless you're talking about the fight before that; that theme is also cool.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that CHC reminded them of Gunstar Heroes. My sources are vague, but I think some dudes who worked on this also worked on Gunstar, or vice versa. I forgot the details if it's true.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
I like the theme before the main final boss them because it just sounds like "this is less a boss fight and more of a cutscene wherein you die a lot".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Yeah, the final boss theme is :black101: as hell. Not the best song, but it really gets you pumped to blow poo poo up. Unless you're talking about the fight before that; that theme is also cool.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that CHC reminded them of Gunstar Heroes. My sources are vague, but I think some dudes who worked on this also worked on Gunstar, or vice versa. I forgot the details if it's true.

I doubt it. The people who founded Treasure left Konami right around the release of Contra 3.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never played a Contra game in my life (unless you count Super Mario Crossover as Bill) but these Hard Corps videos are really making me want to, this game is awesome.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

SnakemanMn posted:

Journey to Silius...godly music

This is from a couple of pages back, but this dude who drums to Nintendo songs did an awesome play-along of the music from this game. Check it out here! Such an amazing game and track. Thanks for playing the game so I could finally see it!

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

The Legend Of Zelda: Parallel Worlds is a romhack of The Link to the Past. Released in 2006, it has new graphics, a new overworld, a new underworld, new music and even a completely original story. It is known as a sadistically hard romhack, with a steep difficulty curve and a lot of backtracking. Version 1.1 was released soon afterwards, which fixed several bugs. As hard as this romhack may be, if you have the patience to get through it, your efforts will really pay off.

You may remember an enjoyable LP of this game done by Zomodok and Diabetus.

I'll be attempting to 100% this game and also cover the Second Quest.

:siren: Part 1: Introduction and the path to the Guardhouse :siren:

With Catsworth and Killeremcee.

In this update we cover the introduction of the game and getting to the Guardhouse, but not before getting a couple of useful items along the way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember that hack. I pulled off a tricky boomerang throw and expected to be rewarded with a sequence break of some kind, but instead I just got permastuck. :(

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Is it just me or does Killeremcee sound perpetually kinda drunk? Its entertaining.

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012

Zeikier posted:

UPDATE

I got a few things that need doing for the time being, but here's Ending B and A, played through by Ray and Fang, respectively.

Are the character portraits always the same, or do they change with each path? Like, does Fang get a sweet statue if you take him down the B path?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Stratavarius posted:

Are the character portraits always the same, or do they change with each path? Like, does Fang get a sweet statue if you take him down the B path?

Each path gives a different portrait, yeah. So Fang gets a sweet statue in Ending B and so on. after that level, a drat statue is the least they could do :argh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Zeikier posted:

EDIT: Also, give this song a listen. It only plays in these paths for about 10 seconds and it's woefully underplayed.

I'd forgotten how great the music in this game is. Thank you.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
VVVVVV V-Rank Time Trials

In this update, we take a leisurely stroll through The Tower.

Next time around, we tread through the trinket-infested hallways of The Laboratory.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

^^^^ nice job! Definitely looking forward to what you have to say about the Laboratory.

Minus Infinity continues! As we mentioned before, for continuity's sake, we're playing through Wily 1 and 2 a second time. I spent some more time showing the boss this time around.

Wily 1: Fatal Miscalculation, 0.01 version, played by Phiggle

Wily 1: Fatal Miscalculation, beta version, played by Dectilon

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Spark weapon is based on / a reference to the Fish + Electric power in Kirby's Dream Land 2, that's probably where the Manbow name comes from.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

And now I finally understand what this "Manbow" thing is that keeps cropping up. It's a mambo fish, a relative of the mola mola. Japanese translations are a rocky business.

That ending section of the level is amazing, and I salute the programmer for having the determination to make it work.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Also now I understand why this is a mambo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there any particular reason you guys aren't using Rush Search more often? I keep seeing you finish a room and be almost dead and I'm practically shouting at the screen "Go dig up some health!".

I mean, now you have a gazillion E-tanks, so I guess it's kind of moot, but still.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I tend to want to keep the tempo up. I prefer re-recording until I get a decent run to stopping in the middle of it to refill my health.

As for Phiggle I think he forgets to sometimes. :cheeky:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Loving the RMI revisit. The music may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is exactly the type of game I wish we got more of in the Megaman series.

Also, it's being run at SGDQ this year. Speedruns of this are so cool.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The flying pod you get into looks a lot like Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone minus the wings.

Great thread as a whole, by the way. The fact that someone went out of their way to LP Dodonpachi Daioujou, both loops even, is amazing.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
do the dance. do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumbleborg
Feb 19, 2013

thevoiceofdog posted:

do the dance. do it.

Just wondering, did you ever find out what the Cactus Dance™ puzzle leads to?

• Locked thread