Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I played the hell out of Castlevania III as a kid. So many memories with that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

So, would you guys like to see 15 minutes of horrible dolphin related fatalities or should I bundle the 67 second successful run in with the next few levels?

Eh, how about keep a few exemplary deaths and have it as its own video?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's hard to really define such a thing with this level. It's a lot like if Welcome to the Machine didn't have walls or enemies and replaced them with gaping death pits. And moved at roughly triple speed for the duration. It is mercifully short and the next 2 levels really aren't much longer if the next one doesn't degenerate into a mess of attempts that fail to actually kill me. It's kinda like the ice levels in Ecco 1 except I'm even worse at them and the tank with rocket boosters physics literally pull you out of the level.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Choco1980 posted:

Just one little thing--I'd wager that "Warakiya" is probably a multi-translated mess version of "Walachia", as in the famous area in Transylvania.

Wallachia isn't in Transsylvania. They are both different parts of Romania.

Historical Dracula was the Prince of Wallachia, and never had much of anything to do with Transylvania (It was ruled by Hungary at the time)

:eng101:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Have some more Revenge of Shinobi. Not sure if I remembered to post Round 5 here, so have 5 and 6.

Round 5 which is a lot of bullshit

Round 6 which features Spiderman but absolutely not Batman

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I, um, hate to say this, slowbeef, but I think you're knocking the ballerinas' tops loose, and that's why they're surrendering.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

I, um, hate to say this, slowbeef, but I think you're knocking the ballerinas' tops loose, and that's why they're surrendering.

...Wait, seriously? I've played this game since it came ou-

Holy poo poo! You're right! I always thought they were folding their hands together (a la "please forgive me"), but yeah, they're totally covering up. Wow. Stay classy, Shinobi!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Also, the 'nunchuck staff thing' is a real thing, called the three part staff or the three section staff. The Japanese version is called a sansetsukon.

So now you don't have to look it up!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Not only that, but that jump in 6-1 is apparently doable without Fushin or the box on the right - it's just very tricky. I am not the ninja master I claimed to be. :(

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

slowbeef posted:

Offscreen laser bullshit.

While I give them props for coding in enemies that still exist even when not on screen, I've always hated it when enemies and obstructions can tag you from off-screen, especially if you can't hurt them in return.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ah hell. I also thought the ballerinas were giving up in a weird bit of videogame chivalry ( like in the original Streets of Rage, where you can't hit women when they're down ).

Unless... perhaps the Euro and American versions censored them a bit? Like they did to Streets of Rage 3?

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
Also yeah slowbeef Round 5 takes place in Los Angeles as 818 refers to its area code.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I liked the "Well Come" signs a lot in the last stage :)

How did they get away with so much copyright infringing back in the day? Sega was no small company back then. And what are Spider-Man and batman doing in this game? Couldn't they come up with some ninja bosses?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eulisker posted:

I liked the "Well Come" signs a lot in the last stage :)

How did they get away with so much copyright infringing back in the day? Sega was no small company back then. And what are Spider-Man and batman doing in this game? Couldn't they come up with some ninja bosses?

They didn't exactly get away with it, since later versions were modified. Presumably the original Japanese version also had these bosses, and they got away with it there because American comic book and movie creators/publishers had little presence in Japan back then.

As for why they did this, who knows. Isn't Spiderman bizzarely popular in Japan? That doesn't explain Batman or the Hulkinator of course.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Prenton posted:

Unless... perhaps the Euro and American versions censored them a bit? Like they did to Streets of Rage 3?

For the record, I am playing the US version. Actually, I think Revision 0 is region-free insofar as there aren't different releases for US/EUR/JPN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There isn't a "the US version", the only region differences are the box art and manual, though the original release was pretty rare outside of Japan. There's 4 different Genesis releases:
  1. Original release with Rambo, Spiderman, Batman and Godzilla all with serial numbers poorly filed off
  2. late 1989, Rambo has his head shaved, Batman replaced with something kinda Devilman-like
  3. Early 1990, Spiderman and Hulk officially licensed, Batman/Devilman removed, Spiderman's sprite and animations updated a bit
  4. Late 1990, Godzilla flayed into a skeleton, this version is found in most compilation packs before 2009
  5. And finally in 2009 the PSN/XBLA/VC release turned Spiderman hot pink and removed the license notice. Also made a crappy attempt at removing Sonny Chiba's likeness from the title screen.

Spiderman is actually a recurring enemy from the original arcade Shinobi, where he also got edited into other things in many home versions.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 29, 2013

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't Spiderman bizzarely popular in Japan?
Spiderman in Japan has a... strange history.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
And have the penultimate level to Revenge of Shinobi:

Round 7: Total Bullshit

I'm going to admit that I royally mess up 7-2. I left it in because I thought it was a little funny, and I didn't think the backtracking went on for too long. I hope you don't think I'm putting up just any old video, but level 7 as a whole is really drat hard, and this was one of the better successful runs I came up with.

Also Godzilla is the last of the questionable copyright decisions that Sega made with this game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Asimo posted:

Spiderman in Japan has a... strange history.

Which Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus made fun of the first episode before in their No More Heroes 2 LP.

http://chipandironicus.com/videos/anime/15.html

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

dis astranagant posted:

So, would you guys like to see 15 minutes of horrible dolphin related fatalities or should I bundle the 67 second successful run in with the next few levels?

Dying in Ecco just warps you back to the intro screen for the level and forces you to start over? Then just bundle the 67 seconds and lets stick with that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, that was just me being stupid at 4AM ranting at the walls about wanting to rip Ed Annunziata's throat out with my teeth. It's the loving ice levels all over again just with a different gimmick. I'll probably keep a couple deaths to point out why these levels are bullshit and also that one of them manages to have even more of a dick move than the final boss of the first game. I keep forgetting that my new workflow actually makes editing these things feasible.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 30, 2013

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

slowbeef posted:

Have some more Revenge of Shinobi. Not sure if I remembered to post Round 5 here, so have 5 and 6.

Round 5 which is a lot of bullshit

Round 6 which features Spiderman but absolutely not Batman
I just found a retweet that lead to this. Is Spider-Man really Batman's shameful secret?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I just found a retweet that lead to this. Is Spider-Man really Batman's shameful secret?

The answer is contained within a 2 minute podcast clip.

Yes.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Let's end this.

Round 8: The End

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin for the Sega CD has a similar end boss fight, where things are made far harder by having to manage keeping a hostage from being killed by a machine while taking on the endboss. In fact, it pretty much steals this mechanic part and parcel from Revenge of Shinobi (I guess Marvel figured quid pro quo). You fight the kingpin while he's lowering a tied-up Mary Jane into some death machine thingie, and you stall it by shooting your webs (which are limited outside of easy difficulty) at the mechanisms. IIRC, this is also one of those games where losing to the endboss gives a unique game over ending, so there's in all, three different endings to the game.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Also hinted at in this product description:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
...that's the product described behind the link you didn't click, and the image ON the video.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Choco1980 posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin for the Sega CD has a similar end boss fight, where things are made far harder by having to manage keeping a hostage from being killed by a machine while taking on the endboss. In fact, it pretty much steals this mechanic part and parcel from Revenge of Shinobi (I guess Marvel figured quid pro quo). You fight the kingpin while he's lowering a tied-up Mary Jane into some death machine thingie, and you stall it by shooting your webs (which are limited outside of easy difficulty) at the mechanisms. IIRC, this is also one of those games where losing to the endboss gives a unique game over ending, so there's in all, three different endings to the game.

You're right. Losing to the endboss leads to a cutscene where (spoiler tagged in case someone decides to LP it later on) both Mary Jane and Spider-Man get dunked into a vat of acid and die, followed by the credits.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Ah, it's nice to know that the pixel-perfect jumps were really pixel-perfect, and not me being an idiot as a kid.

Me and my brother only ever completed Revenge Of Shinobi using the kind-of-neat cheatmode: set shurikens to "00" in the options and wait, and the double-zero symbol turns into an infinity sign.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It was the double-jumps that always got me. The controls for that really aren't as tight as they should be. It was years before I was successfully able to get past the first part of the second stage with any kind of regularity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The controls for that really aren't as tight as they should be.

By "aren't as tight", people who haven't played the game should read "are ridiculously finicky". If you don't press jump again at exactly the right time (at most a 5-frame window, I'd guess), you don't get your double jump. It's possible to do reliably but you need a lot of practice, and the game starts requiring you to do it quite early in the game.

Which reminds me, later versions of the game tear out an awful lot of the levels. I don't think the version I played had any of the "Chinese" enemies (kung-fu dude, staff dude, ballerina) or the nuns; they just omitted levels that had them. Well, the highway level was still in the game; I can't remember if they just removed the nuns from that level or if they put new obstacles in.

In practice, this meant an awful lot of time spent fighting soldiers and Rambo, since they're basically the only enemies to show up after the first two levels.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.
Update time!

Part 4, the Realm of Earth- If you thought this game hated you already, you haven't seen anything yet

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember one Summer when I was about ten or so, asking for the Gameboy versions of Wizards and Warriors and Battletoads for my birthday. Apparently, I hated myself as a child.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How does that bossfight work? Buggy collision detection only using the lower 8 bits of the spell's position?

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

How does that bossfight work? Buggy collision detection only using the lower 8 bits of the spell's position?

If you try the upward shot trick standing anywhere else in the room, it won't work. Your guess is as good as mine as to why that is.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Kid Chameleon - Part 5: Chicago

Two short levels. Things get a little trickier after this.

[img]http://lpix.org/1246866/KCsewers.avi_snapshot_00.58_[2013.05.30_20.46.08].png[/img]
Windy City - Sinister Sewers

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

From the TAS:

quote:

Long distance attack of Earth boss:
The hit-touch for the Earth boss appears to not take into account screens, so you can attack him exactly one screen away and have it register as a hit. I use this bug, but it makes the movie slightly less than a second longer.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Syrg Sapphire posted:

...that's the product described behind the link you didn't click, and the image ON the video.
Well people shouldn't make video commentaries of pictures OK <:mad:>

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
And so it ends

Level thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You aren't going to show off the secret ending? The video that appears in the options menu or something when you manage to get an S-rank on all levels?

Sure I could just link it from youtube but...

It even references Rock knight adventures!

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 31, 2013

• Locked thread