Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MeccaPrime posted:

Pray for my soul as I attempt something truly difficult.

Sub-Terrania is a game that was released back in the early nineties for the Sega Genesis (Megadrive). It is notoriously hard to play even on the normal difficulty (so much so that I thought I was doing hard mode back when I first did the LP of this game). I've decided to revisit it and do it justice by actually finishing it in hard mode. At its core, it is a SHMUP, but only in the sense that you pilot a ship and you shoot things, it gets different from there. It is a free-roaming SHMUP that adds gravity and fuel consumption into the mix. Not only do you have to fight enemies, but you have to worry about running out of gas and falling to your inevitable death(s).

Points of note:
1: The enemies want you dead
2: The environment wants you dead
3: Gravity wants you dead
4: Even your own ship wants you dead
5: The game developers want you IRL dead

With that in mind, let's get going!

:siren: Missions 1-4: Youtube

I think I can get this wrapped up in three videos max.

Enjoy!

I loving loved this game as a kid but drat does it get bullshit in places. Between the part where the gravity finally decides it's through with your poo poo and the gigantic final level it was a real mindfuck as a 10 year old with no internet.

E: wow, you spent all that time going after the life on level 2 but didn't go grab the first actual weapon upgrade of the game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Allmightybob posted:

Solar Jetman at least made you feel like it was possible to win without divine intervention. Sub-terrania looks like it's one big frustration simulator.

It's pretty decent on normal but hard just shits all over the concept of "margin of error".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That first water level really doesn't even begin to prepare you for the bullshit of the next 2. NOTHING even begins to prepare you for that bullshit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dectilon posted:

That game just doesn't look like it's made for combat at all. It didn't look like the final boss tested your skills at the game so much as "how long can you sway back and forth at the top of the screen?!".

Also I'm disappointed that the boss wasn't a giant pig.

On normal you can afford to do more actual dodging and don't have to exploit his relative blind spots but on hard he takes forever to kill and kills you crazy fast, especially if you die a lot earlier in the game and have no guns.

In spite of its flaws, it's still probably the best of the long line of games bolting combat on to Lunar Lander.

Here's a humorous fact about its development: they made the whole thing without the official dev kit. They hacked together their own using what they'd learned making Amiga demo tapes (the Amiga and Genesis had pretty similar architectures).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You should see their 32x demo It's pretty wild.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

:stare: wow. That is amazing. I wonder what a TAS of this would look like.

Well, that first video beat a TAS by 2 minutes :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's another of those things that kinda almost matters if you're sucking it up on easy or normal. It's still slow but faster and you aren't taking as much damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure he's just using Kega Fusion's avi output then transcoding it to something a little level oversized.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Update

Welcome to the Jungle, folks. It's gonna be a long stay.

Jungle: Ray

Jungle: Fang

dumb art by me

You guys want to play along and vote for a choice, or shall I go ahead and show both paths off?

That boss must be Seven Force's retarded brother.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Yeah, the final boss theme is :black101: as hell. Not the best song, but it really gets you pumped to blow poo poo up. Unless you're talking about the fight before that; that theme is also cool.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that CHC reminded them of Gunstar Heroes. My sources are vague, but I think some dudes who worked on this also worked on Gunstar, or vice versa. I forgot the details if it's true.

I doubt it. The people who founded Treasure left Konami right around the release of Contra 3.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are you guys ever going to show off Wish Star? also I wonder where Invincible Moon is hiding

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's more useful in Gunstar Heroes because the sweep is faster. It's also not completely piss weak.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Genesis had a cutdown version of one of Yamaha's FM synthesis chips. Unfortunately one of the things that was cut was done so in a way that caused some really bad noise on all 6 channels. Later revisions of the console used an improved version that didn't have this problem but it didn't matter much since all the software had to be designed to not sound like total poo poo on the original model. It also only had 5 FM channels in practice since you had to give one up to play PCM samples, which basically everyone did. Some of the other things that were cut were replaced with the same TI programmable sound generator the Colecovision used in 1982.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Ecco games probably qualify as hard games and have amazing Genesis music, just sayin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sounds like the Batman Forever game I played on Genesis.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coming soon to a Hard Games Thread near you

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The first few levels aren't that bad but The Lagoon finds a new way to gently caress me every time. Trying to get a good pile of poo poo recorded before I go back and add commentary.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Youtube hasn't mangled it so far and that's what it is straight out of the emulator.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think that describes the experience Zeikier and I had with it last weekend but with less second level and more dying to that dumb worm boss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's a thing someone might want to see I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lLW_T53rY

Just noticed that youtube mangled this one down to half the original resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2x-oCWTKU This one might be a little better or something idk.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 13, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

slowbeef posted:

If you're not seeing any difference, then don't worry about it. It's something I've noticed but my improvements were like night and day. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path.

I'm kinda dumb on this kind of thing so all kidding in titles aside I posted them to see if anyone could really tell the difference.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin: gently caress you

Ecco the Dolphin wants you to think it's a game about Flipper frolicking around the seas playing with his dolphin pals and going on dolphin adventures. It is actually some sort of psychological torture device created by some mad Hungarians who used to be called Novotrade International. The first few levels are fairly simple if a bit traumatizing but we will rapidly descend into some of the worst bullshit gaming has to offer. The physics are strange, the hit detection buggy and the level design absolutely sadistic. At least the music is amazing and adds to the often oppressive atmosphere of drowning in a deep ocean cave 8 minutes into a 10 minute level for the 6th time.

Click the box art for a playlist on Youtube.

First video: Introductory formalities

Not a lot to talk about with this one, it's pretty easy and good at lulling you into a false sense of security.

Ecco the Dolphin Part 2: Undercaves

Ecco the Dolphin part 3, The Vents

Ecco the Dolphin part 4: The Lagoon

Ecco the Dolphin part 5: Ridge Ocean

Ecco the Dolphin part 6: The loving Icecapades

Ecco the Dolphin part 7: Island Zone

Ecco the Dolphin part 8: Deep Water

Ecco the Dolphin part 9: The Marble Sea

Ecco the Dolphin part 10: The Library

Ecco the Dolphin part 11: Deep City

Ecco the Dolphin part 12: City of Forever

Ecco the Dolphin part 13: Anachronisms, Ho!

Ecco the Dolphin part 14: Blowing this Dinosaur Stand

Ecco the Dolphin part 15: The Grand Finale

Ecco the Dolphin part X: Why I'm not playing the sequel

Ecco the Dolphin part Goddammit Japan: The Stomach

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 29, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

UPDATE

Ecco the Dolphin Part 2: Undercaves

Kind of a tutorial for a wide array of things that will kill you. Nothing too bad once you know what you're doing but I was just a wee lad when this horror came into the world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Because Ecco doesn't always stay centered and sticking them bottom center all the time will get in the way. I also tend to place them near what I'm talking about if they won't get in the way.

I don't think I ever really touched on the difference between that charge attack and general movement, but it should be fairly obvious (when charging your nose and only your nose hurts things and you lose most of your control). There's some other fiddly movement poo poo I might bring up if it's ever relevant. I should go back and note that drowning does damage over time until you run out of health, since it didn't really get to do much in the video.

Singing is kind of a general interaction tool that will get another purpose next video. It's also used to pull up a map of your surroundings.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 16, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 3, The Vents

We're starting to get out of the kiddie pool a bit. The next level is the first truly difficult one but this one does have its share of annoyances.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco is very much a puzzle game that wants you to think there's action. Unfortunately the controls and physics tend to fall apart when asked to do anything precise, making a lot of the puzzles much worse than they really should be.

The upcoming ice levels are going to be great fodder for the death reel :negative:. I practiced them some at Zeikier's place the other day but I still fully expect to have dozens of recordings each. And the final cut will probably have all 3 of them in one video because they're so short.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 4: The Lagoon

This level is quite big. It also has a lot of backtracking and slowly following things you need in order to progress. I think we've just about rounded out our game mechanics and enemy selection now, at least until things start getting really weird.

Picture by Zeikier, he was in a drawing mood and I'm not one to deny him that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You know what, let's just go ahead and get what's left of the weekend's recording out of the way.

Ecco the Dolphin part 5: Ridge Ocean

This is the calm between 2 storms. Neither level shown is particularly difficult but the next set get pretty horrible.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think you could have stood to explain how you were using the stones to guard yourself from the currents. I didn't realize that's what you were doing until about halfway through the video.

Done.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 16, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 6: The loving Icecapades

A triple feature of 3 of my least favorite levels. The only thing good about them is that they're short. Ice levels are always terrible stop making them.

That's the last of the levels I have any recent practice in so it might be a while before the next update.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Valgaav posted:

As strange as it may sound, one of my favourite parts of this is how unedited it is. Compare it to Contra Hard Corps - in your playthrough, you waste time getting lost, you take damage and do the wrong thing, having to restock air and so on. It's a lot easier to tell that the game is hard when it's not being played near-perfectly.

That's actually something I'm trying for, though finding the right balance is tough. It helps that no one is actually good at these games: even the speed runs make a lot of my mistakes, just with a better understanding of the route and skipping as much content as they can.

For the sake of my sanity you're getting the first successful attempt that I remember to record (I have forgotten to hit the record button a few times :saddowns: ). I have been tempted to go back and redo all the "how do I jump" type poo poo from the first few levels but if I did that I'd start rerunning every level until it was as perfect as I could get it and this would never get finished.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 17, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's pretty late in the game. I want to say the penultimate level but it might be a little earlier than that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier and I played through most of it in March, passing the controller back and forth. We finally had to give up at the docks or whatever the gently caress the big water level is, though I'm sure watching him burn 2 continues on the waterfall part (I then did it in one try :smug: ) didn't help. We were planning on skipping the terrible final level anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 7: Island Zone

Valgaav, this one's for you. The level is fairly easy but the video's about 5 minutes longer than it has to be because I get hopelessly lost and wind up showing off a lot of hidden weirdness. The game is going to start getting pretty strange next video.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin part 8: Deep Water

poo poo just got weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For the 2 of you who might know what I'm talking about: I just recorded City of Forever with no skips :suicide:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tides of Time doesn't have as many dumb filler levels (unless you count the 3d levels) and replaces them with dumb gimmicks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 9: The Marble Sea

Just a filler level. Didn't want to stick it on either the previous level or the next because they're both kind of important to take in on their own. A couple new mechanics show up and there's lots of new architecture but the level itself is pretty easy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Update

Ecco the Dolphin part 10: The Library

That sure is some plot there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Small Frozen Thing posted:

And so we discover why there aren't any humans in Ecco: They got eaten by aliens. This game. :allears:

No, they almost got eaten by aliens but instead went back in time to before the aliens, leaving signs for a dolphin to follow for nebulous reasons relating to constellations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm getting dangerously close to finished recording Ecco, but my last take of the final level ended with me so sure I was close to the end only to find out that I was barely halfway through :smithicide:

• Locked thread