Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Leylite posted:

Also, one tip, not mentioned in the manual, that can be quite helpful is that the ship moves faster if you stop shooting.

Only in Normal mode.

e: If anyone didn't know, the modes in rRootage are copied from Psyvariar, Giga Wing, and Ikaruga (PSY, GW, IKA).

Pneub fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Nidoking posted:

Subtitles are good for shmups when the point is to distract the viewer from what's happening on the screen and just use the video as background for interesting commentary (see: the Harry Potter ripoff in the bootleg thread that was mostly a reskin of Parodius), but if the point is to admire the skill of the player, I don't think drawing the viewer's eyes to text is the right way to do it.

Eh, R-Type's pretty methodical, looking down to the subtitles won't make you miss anything.
Here's a Gradius II run with subtitles. The power-up bar kinda gets in the way, but R-Type wouldn't have that problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHTnRl-y88

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

slowbeef posted:

Are you sure this isn't a version difference thing? I'm pretty sure that's true for the American version. I might be getting the level number wrong, but no way you fight Red Falcon on Easy... right?

In Shattered Soldier on easy, it let's you beat the 4 levels on the select screen, then one more and it's over. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Konami did that one first too: http://imgur.com/WRszOzG

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dabir posted:

But is it a giant version of a regular stage enemy? I've found the game that's from and looked through some of the side scrolling bits and it doesn't seem to be. So in the sense of giant-ising a basic enemy, I *think* that one goes to Data East.

Eh, no one's ever come up with an original robot since the ED-209.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Zain posted:

The Robot is the only one left if you feel like you're up for his shenanigans.

Yeah, finish up Contra 3, then Do The RobotTM. In one video, because that would be neat.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

youtube commenter skaboose102 posted:

: D 720p
Way to give 300% man.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

George posted:

My understanding was that the Genesis had an amazing sound chip that nobody knew how to properly use, so everyone took the same shortcuts and all we ever got was farting.

The sound drivers they sent out with dev kits in the west were kinda garbage if they didn't know what to do with it (that's how most these are even possible).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

slowbeef posted:

Would Revenge of Shinobi be considered a hard game?

Pfft, yeah. Just remember to play ver. 1.0 for Batman.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Ha, that link was already blacked out for me before I clicked on it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Zeikier posted:

I'm teasing the idea of Earthworm Jim and Kid Chameleon once I have my last CHC videos ready.

For Kid Chameleon, I'm wondering how my run through that should be if it happens. Since there are so many ways to go through the game, should I just try to show off as much as I can in one run or some other approach?

It looks like you'll hit at least 75% of the game one way or another as long as you don't hit any major warps and plan out world 4 a little.

Just remember to hit Bloody Swamp, damnit.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I just mowed the lawn while reading a Time article about the Iran Contra and ran over my neighbor's dog. "Thanks" Slowbeef.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

It's a shame Konami couldn't capture the subtle nuances of the Love-Love Dance, but it was the best they could do.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

If you have a surplus of shurikins (shuriplus?), you can beat that boss without aiming by getting on the left roof and using spin-jump shots. He's just tall enough that his face will always line up with one of your knives.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Zeether posted:

Wasn't Shadow Dancer part of the Shinobi series too? I played that in an arcade and I remember being stuck on level 1 because I was a dumb kid who sucked at games. All I recall was you had a dog and the voice samples for the ninja powers were hilarious.

The arcade and Genesis versions are actually two different games with the same basic mechanics.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Choco1980 posted:

Also did any of the rest of you here with Maximum Carnage memories ever play the sequel, Separation Anxiety? It was harder, but not in a fun way. The game was pretty much phoned in.

The graphics look like a drat 1989 Genesis game on both systems. I remember the double hit being a lot easier for some reason though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

DeathChicken posted:

Update

We are Venom! In which I find far too much amusement in that Power Hit of his.

Those 10-second title cards at the start of levels are skippable.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dectilon posted:

Pastebin isn't loading for me at the moment. I have one written out though. Actually, have another video:

The plane you ride into the level on looks a lot nicer in the HD remake:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

DeathChicken posted:

Problem there was I was going to die in two hits, so showing off his other stuff would have ruined my no-death run. Whoops.

Suffice it to say that his other stuff involves the glider (if you don't preemptively knock him off of it, he'll spend the beginning of the fight proper flying back and forth ramming you until you land a jumpkick and knock him off. Then he can reboard it if he gets a free moment), and trying to punch combo him will result in him punch comboing you back, which usually means you die.

gently caress it, there isn't much to show off with the bosses in this game anyway. You might as well speedrun them if you feel like it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I finally managed to track down the best ad ever made:

edit:

JGBeagle posted:

I remember this ad, but I never got to play the game because the local Hollywood Video never had it. :negative:

They started selling it for about $10 new at least within a few months of release. I'm sure this information really helps you now.

e2: poo poo, an article with the poster went up 2 days before I spent an hour googleing it:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/incrediblecrisis/incrediblecrisis.htm

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 23, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lilfut posted:

Does Bionic Commando (NES, although possibly Arcade which is arguably a bit harder) qualify for this? I've been looking for an excuse to do it if so.

Rearmed (the NES ver. remake) is a lot harder than the original, this could be a good excuse to buy it if you don't have it already.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Slimnoid posted:

LEVEL TWO- In which I show my utter disdain for the controls.

I cannot express how much I hate the controls for Dash Rendar. They're stiff and awkward and worse than the old Resident Evil games. Considering these comprise the meat of the game, it's pretty much the sole reason why this game has such a punishing level of difficulty later on.

I never got what the advantage of using 1st Person in this game was. The auto-aim is so generous that it doesn't make shooting any easier, and it makes platforming a bit harder.

Also, you can lock your aim upward and kill the AT-AT in about 45-60 seconds of circle strafing. It takes some 3 button combination that I can't remember to lock your view .

Pneub fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 20, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Slimnoid posted:

It might just be personal preference, but first person just works with the N64 controller. Even with the lovely controls I find it more tolerable in first person view, and while the auto-aim is generous the accuracy for the gun is not; holding down Z is really the only way you'll hit enemies at any range other than balls-touchingly close.

Eh, tomato tomato (that doesn't work typed, does it?). Still, try the view-lock for that other boss that you have to look up at constantly, it'll save you some time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dis astranagant posted:

Like the Star Destroyer.

And the shuttle in level 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

DeathChicken posted:

Maximum Carnage

Have some more. I'll go back to Venom's branch after this, then the paths link up.

Stage 16 (Spidey Route): Cheese
Stage 17 (Spidey Route): Not the End

Man Spiderman sucks in this game. This LP is the first time anyone in the world has ever seen these levels, because no one has ever not picked Venom, given the chance.

• Locked thread