Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
I have been following this thread for a little while and enjoying all the wonderful content here and thought that I should give back so here is my attempt at playing N+

N+ was released on the X-Box Live Arcade back in February of 2008. It is about a ninja collecting gold to stay alive past his 90 second life span while he tries to reach the exit. You dodge quite a few "lethal ninja-killing robots" on your quest to stay alive.

The way the game is set up is that there are 50 episodes to beat consisting of 5 levels each and when you start an episode you have to beat it OR you start the whole thing over. Also you are timed, that ninety seconds of life that the ninja has carries over from level to level through an episode and is easy to run out of in later levels if you are not careful. Luckily when you die (and you will) there is no true penalty other than having to start the level over and the timer resets to where it was when you started that level.

Join me as I jump on walls and collect gold:

Fragger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

IGotMine posted:

How does compare to the original, difficulty-wise?

From what I can remember it feels a bit "fairer" to the original. Then again I played the original for a few hours while I sunk quite a bit of time into N+ completing both the solo and the co-op.

One of the things that was always a bit odd with N+ is that it has the great level editor but no way to share levels or there was and now it is gone. Lame. At least there is some PDLC that add something like 400+ levels to the game. Kind of crazy

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Do later levels get larger and more complex? Some of my favorite N levels had multiple unique sections that you had to work through in order to open the path to the exit. Or maybe I'll just watch to see another person have to deal with those goddamn homing missiles, only mines killed me more often than those fuckers :argh:

Yes they do in fact I think in the next video is the first of those. Also the hardest level in the drat game (in my opinion) IS one of those. Curse you level 249! Actually the last 5 episodes are brutal, mean and just not fun.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I still remember wall-jumping up a narrow shaft in the original N and splatting against the ceiling because I was moving so fast. I'm guessing that's been "fixed" in N+?

Oh that still exists but there aren't a lot of levels where it is a problem. If memory serves (because I am only at the half way point at the moment) they use that as a different kind of trap just to make life even harder for you

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Things are still mostly easy here but you can start to see the hints of the pain to come

Now with snazzy pictures!

Fragger fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2013

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Phiggle posted:

For NES, I think FCEUX is really good. It has an AVI recording option as well as a keystroke recording option. Usually I'll record keystrokes first, then play them back in the emulator with AVI recording turned on to get a video.

Thanks for the info. Once I am done with N+ I may hop over and do Blaster Master. It's one of those games I played growing up but I never beat. Time to get that practice in

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
The game gets a bit harder but the last level. Dear god the last level . . .

Sorry that it has been a little while (for me at least) been busy with other things

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Garbageman posted:

For real - I'm loving this LP so far. I completely forgot how dickish this game was.

Same here. It was one of those games that when I got it I had no idea what I was in for. I got to the ghost area and then the dickish nature of that dungeon stopped me cold

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
It seems N+ has leveled out . . . for now

This is the last "easy" set of videos. Things start to ramp up from here on out and eventually get pretty brutal. I hope you all look forward to it!

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Oh hello there difficulty, where have you been?

As you can see the game is starting to get trickier and a bit more dickish. This has nothing on where this is going though

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

PRL412 posted:

I played the PSP version of N+, but used the TV output cable sometimes too. Came in handy for levels like one in the most recent update, where zooming out cuts down the visibility.

Even on the TV there are times when you still have no idea where you are. And I do not know of the PSP/DS versions have the same levels but I think they do

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Hey it has been a little while but here I am with another N+ part!

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Not to stop the awesome Genesis talk (I had that over an SNES growing up) here is another N+ part!

As you can tell the game really is no longer "easy" and has started to get quite a bit tougher. Also it is kind of funny that in the middle of this becoming the Contra thread that this video has a level named "Contra"

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

IGotMine posted:

As a note, I'm fairly certain - though admittedly my knowledge is of the PC version and this is totally some armchair LPing bullshit as a result so feel free to ignore me - that you can get between the bouncy blocks and the mines if you hit the bouncy block at an angle and push it away from the mine just long enough to wallkick away.

Does anyone know if there is a desktop level that's equivalent to that? The layout looks familiar, but maybe what I'm thinking of wasn't official content or anything.

You kinda can with enough momentum at the start but the issue becomes climbing either wall and getting back in.

I tried to show that off but could never get the whole thing to gel together

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
You wanted more N+ right? Well here it is!

EDIT: vvvv Holy poo poo

Fragger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 17, 2013

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Almost done with N+, my hands are happy about this

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

And once you finish with N+, you can do N v2.0, while you wait for N++!

Well there is an entire section called "N+ Expert Challenge" with 10 more episodes . . .

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Well then time for some more N+ action!

• Locked thread