Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Loving the new thread and that new-thread smell, guys. :)

A bit of ego-boo here: I was elevated yesterday to the office of Junior Steward. I was raised at the end of October, and told folks that I was seriously gung-ho and wanted to start moving to the chairs -- and they took me at my word. :) I welcome any words of advice from brethren who've gone through as well. I'm really looking forward to doing my part in bringing new folks in. (For those who don't know, the stewards do some of the grunt work for degree work, and we are also the unofficial entertainment and refreshment committee.)

Went up to the Grand Lodge today in Indianapolis. What a cool building -- and I *love* the museum. There are some fascinating things there. I'll write about a couple of 'em tomorrow. For now, I'm on a caffeine downtime and barely keeping awakzzzzzzzzz

Effingham fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

mrbill posted:

Brother, I would love to purchase a couple bottles of your fine product, if you are to make it available. You should also make up some old-timey labels, like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=patent+medicine+labels

As would I. Produce mass quantities. Please.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

I was asked whether I was a Christian. I said no, I am not a Christian, I am a Catholic. Which is the truth,

WTH? Catholics *are* Christian.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and tells him he has some free time, so he will give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different religions. "There's the Muslims, that's the jewish section, Orthodox are over there there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians, Budhists are over there with the Hindus", and so forth. As they come to this huge wall that stretches as high as and far as the eye can see. Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, we need to be really quiet around here. On the other side of the wall we keep the Catholics, and they think they're the only ones in Heaven."

I always heard that joke as about the Baptists. (Which, for the record, I was raised. I since "got better" and became Eastern Orthodox. ;) )

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

mrbill posted:

Has he the password?

He has not. I have it for him.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

SafetyTrain posted:

What kind of income disparity is there usually in your run-of-the-mill Lodge?

Are there any highly represented professions?

In my Lodge, we have my family doctor, my family barber (a past-master), a few teachers, a guy who works for the gas company, a guy who works for a phone company, a bunch of retired guys (a couple of cops, a few ex-teachers, etc.), a couple of between-jobs guys, etc. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Basically, the gamut.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

According to a link later down the way on that page, the commercial has already been edited.

I can't find the link that says any such thing. Where is it?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Congratulations upon being newly raised, brother!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Ours only allows it if the other lodge is opening up an EA lodge. So basically, only if the lodge is conferring the first degree.

Not necessarily. The Lodge can be opened on any degree -- the business is pretty much the same. We have a guy who was recently passed to FC, and the week after our Lodge had a stated meeting and we opened it on the FC degree so he could be there and participate.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Glad to hear about you guys Masonifying Masterfully. :)

Today we had a work-through of Scottish Rite degrees in Bloomington -- I am now a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.

It was quite a lot of fun, and a lot to take in. I have a LOT of reading to do.Major fun. :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Flying Fortress posted:

Obviously not quite the same thing, but one of the first things our newly installed WM did was hold a practice for a Masonic Memorial service, so that we would know how to properly pay our respects by doing it right if called upon.

This is brilliant.

I'm going to recommend it to our WM this week.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Another ACW story I like:

quote:

L.J. Williams of Harvard, New York, enlisted in the 114th New York Volunteers at the beginning of the Civil War. He received the Entered Apprentice and Fellowcraft Degrees in Downsville Lodge No. 464 prior to his leaving home.

Later during the war he was captured and imprisoned near Savannah, Georgia. While in the prison, he communicated with his friends in the North. His lodge in New York through the proper officials got in touch with Zerubbabel Lodge in Savannah and stated that they would consider it a favor if the lodge in Savannah would confer the Third Degree on the Fellowcraft Brother Williams.

One night Brother Williams was taken from the prison and conducted to the lodge room in Savannah. He only had his blue tattered uniform to wear, a token of his sympathy with the cause he believed in. The officers of the lodge were all in Confederate gray. Although on opposite sides in the struggle going on on the battlefields of the South, they were all Brethren. He was then and there raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason and acclaimed a full Brother and friend to those who wore the gray.

Later that night Brother Williams escaped. When asked about his escape he would "smile peculiarly. You might put it down as an escape, but it wasn't an escape strictly speaking. They put me in a boat and carried me off some distance. Then they deposited me on neutral soil between the lines." From there Williams was able to find his friends. Williams never knew who exactly helped him escape. He considered it as their secret and it was never disclosed. Williams stated: "I know exactly to whom I may attribute my escape, His name is Hiram."

The most famous tale, of course, is of Gen. Armistead of Virginia.

quote:

One of the most famous events and one that I have mentioned earlier that occurred at Gettysburg was the huge Confederate infantry push known as Pickett's Charge. On July 3, Pickett (a member of Dove Lodge #51, Richmond, Va) led nearly 12,000 men on a long rush across open fields towards the center of the Union line on Cemetery Ridge. It has been called the last and greatest infantry charge in military history.

One of the men leading that charge was Brigadier General Lewis Addison Armistead, CSA. He was a member of Alexandria-Washington Masonic Lodge #22 in Alexandria. Originally from North Carolina, he had attended West Point, and fought with the US Army for a number of years before resigning his commission to fight for the Confederacy. During that time, he had occasion to serve with now Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, USA (Charity Lodge #190, Norristown, Pa.) while both men were in the west. The two had become good friends. However, with Armistead's resignation, it had been nearly two and a half years since the two men had had any contact. Until Gettysburg, that is.

It was Hancock who had taken command of the fragmented Union troops on Cemetery Ridge on July 1, and organized them into a strong front that had withstood three days of pounding from the Confederate guns. And it was his position, in the center of the Union line, that was the focus of Pickett's Charge. General Armistead led his men and vaulted the stone wall, yelled "give them cold steel" and headed for the cannons that had until recently been firing on his men.

As he laid his hand on one of the guns of the 4th US Artillery, the 69th Pennsylvania Infantry fired upon the gray coated General and the men who had followed him. Many went down including Armistead. He was heard to cry for help "as the son of a widow." Colonel Rawley W. Martin of the 53rd Virginia lay near by and witnessed as some of the men of the 69th Penna. Rose up and came to Armistead's aid. Captain Henry H. Bingham (Chartiers Lodge #297, Canonsburg, Pa.) physician and Mason, was brought to assist Armistead. Armistead inquired of his friend and Masonic Brother General Winfield Scott. Learning that Hancock had also been wounded, he entrusted to Bingham his Masonic watch and personal papers to give to his friend and Brother General Hancock. Two days later Armistead died in a Union hospital on the Spangler farm of his wounds.

Bingham survived the war and in fact won a Congressional Medal of Honor in 1867. He retired in 1867 and went on to become a member of the United States Congress where he served for 33 years. He died in 1812 at the age of 70.

General Hancock survived his wounds though it was a long time until he returned to the Army. He later commanded the Department of the East of the United States Army and died in 1886 still in command. In 1880, he had lost an attempt for the United States Presidency to James Garfield.

There is now a statue at Gettysburg commemorating this event -- The "Friend to Friend" monument.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 3, 2013

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Greetings new brethren!

And Qpzil, I like that thing the old man told you.

I'm going to be going through the York degrees next month.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Brother Sir Knight QPZIL, checking in :cool:

I am moving forward with the York degrees next month, although -- I must admit -- every time I see someone use "sir knight" as a reference rather than an address, the English speaker and former magazine/newspaper editor in me twitches.

"Sir knight" is a term of *address* ("Sir knight, how are you this evening?') and not a term of reference ("Do you know that sir knight over there?"). KNIGHT is the term of reference. DAMMIT.

THat always makes me twitch, and I just know I'm going to have issues with it.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Be sure to say that verbatim during the degree.

I think I'll pass on that bit of advice. ;)

Although I have mentioned it to a few brothers, and their response is generally, "Huh. I never thought of that. Well, it's how *we* do it, though, so..."

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Man, I can't wait to piece together a KT uniform, and then... not wear it for a long time :smith:. Apparently since the North Carolina York Rite Bodies are all combined, the meetings are opened for 4 months as a Chapter, 4 months as a Council, and 4 months as a Commandery. So uh, I guess I'd get to wear it to 4 meetings, and 2 days of degree conferral. But GAH it's so cool looking. Eh, anyway.

I was reading through our Grand Lodge code and constitution, and found out that I'm not allowed to rock a baller apron at lodge meetings :(

That's kind of a bummer. I would love to pick up an 18th or 19th century apron and wear it to lodge.

Bummer on both levels. :(

I love the historical aprons, and I plan on getting a Rev-War era style one after I step down from the East in several years. (For the time being, the Lodge is supplying my embroidered officer aprons ;) ) Heck, I think I might get one for traveling to other Lodges...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Straithate posted:

You will wear an apron, say a prayer and drop a follower on the coffin.

Question -- does one need to first incapacitate the follower in some way, or is it assumed that they will claw their way back off of the coffin?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

I'd like to make a brief digression of the topic at hand, if I may.

A couple of days ago, I was made a Knight Templar. We went through the whole York Rite degree work in a massive two-day class, with fifty attending candidates.

I have to say...

WOW.

I am seriously stoked, (and seriously tired out) from all that stuff. They were right about the early degrees (the Royal Arch Degrees) in that they really tie in -- and shoehorn in -- to the Blue Lodge Degree work. It seems like the fourth degree goes between Fellow Craft and Master Mason (for reasons that I don't really feel I should go into here) and the fifth degree, the Past Master, is really a post-Master degree.

But the Cryptic degrees... wow. SO much material.

And then the Chivalric ones. Dang.

I am totally gobsmacked by the suddenly inflated number of passwords and counter-passwords and grips and due guards and signs that I now have to cope with. AIIEE!

I must admit, though (and I've said it before), that the term "Sir Knight" weirds me out. As a form of address (e.g., "Sir Knight, how are you today?") it's perfectly fine, as "sir" is a term of address. But as a term of reference (e.g., "There are five Sir Knights here today" or "I want to be a Sir Knight") it's grammatically WRONG, as, again, "sir" is a term of address, not reference. The term of reference is, simply, "KNIGHT" (so why don't we just say "he's a Templar?") but, I guess, it's something I'll just have to live with as one of the many (many many many) Masonic idiosyncrasies. ;)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Congratulations, Brother Companion Sir Knight ;) Do you mind if I ask where you're from?

South-central Indiana, just south of Indy.

quote:

Yeah, having gone through a similar 2-day degree conferral (with 11 total, I can't imagine 50, good lord), I agree that it's a LOT to take in. I'm actually working on a book at the moment that may help you out.

I'd love to see it when you're done. :)

We did get copies of the Cryptic Monitor and Ritual, and my sponsor gave me his old copy of the Templar Ritual book, as well as the Tactics Manual. He says there are books for the Royal Arch back at the lodge when I go to my first meeting. :)

quote:

I felt the same way, but I've come to just think of "Sir Knight ___" as a Masonic thing, as a way to separate it from someone who is a real honest-to-goodness knighted "Sir". This way, I feel, keeps us on a separate level so that we're not encroaching on the hard work people have put in to their actual knighthoods.

I can see that, but heck, we're already using "Templar." Why not just SAY "Templar" or "Templar Knight"? ;)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

For some reason, my e-mail client is refusing to send the e-mail. Is the address correct as ianblake (at) gmail ? (Or am I zoning, and "gmail" means something else?)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Gah. Forgot the dotcom. Sigh.

More... coffee...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Oh, so... hey. I joined the Shrine yesterday. I have a sparkly new fez.

Yay, Murat Shrine! :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Excellent.

I hope his butt hurts for a long time.

Fraternally speaking, of course.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

True, but it's always kind of nice to have a tangible bit of history. My local Lodge burned to the ground about 15 or 18 years ago. All that was salvaged were a handful of metal officers' jewels that weren't consumed by the fire. Everything else? Gone. All the photos of the past masters, all the photos of the events, all the history. Thank God the secretary had the roll books and so on at his house -- but the other records and the original (1850) charter are gone. I go to visit other lodges in the area, and I see a wall of past masters looking down at me, stretching back into the distant past. My Lodge only has a couple of pictures of a local who was Grand Master in the 20s or 30s, and a few pictures of recent DeMolay/OES/Rainbow things. We don't even have the past 16 years of WMs, apparently because it would be "too jarring" for sudden modern pictures with nothing behind them. Some of us officers want to at least get a placque made up with past WMs' names on them, but... sigh.

The official story is that the fire was an unknown accident; the unofficial story is that it was arson, and people had a good idea of generally who, but... eh.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Where can one get such a period-correct ring?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Sockington posted:

I was voted in tonight. Initiation to take place in September. :parrot:

Congratulations!!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, am I the only Shriner in the thread?

Nope. Noble of the Murat Shrine (Indianapolis) here. :)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

Well, I'm going to get close to that line regarding bad WMs and GMs.

Justice is something important to Masons, more especially Entered Apprentice Masons. Law, Order, and Righteousness guide us, and our actions should be as such. In addition, harmony is vital for any organization, more importantly this of ours. Refusing a brother Mason for his job or employment , if he is a good person, is unjust, as is refusing one because of his religious beliefs. That breaks our harmony, leaves Brothers dissatisfied, and that should never happen.

In that, it is our duty to call people out, even Brother Masons at the highest levels when they break that oath that we all took, when they deny our own out of personal prejudice, or act unjustly.

Tl;dr we should be good men, be honest, and never judge someone by what they believe or do, so long as what they do is lawful. People that refuse to follow that are dicks and should be called out for it, but we must forgive them for their injustice. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually. A grudge held too long breeds hatred and anger.

Hear, hear.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

That's a good letter.

Let us know what happens.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

For some people, it's a family thing. For some, it's friends.

I wonder how many people come to us cold, with no family or friends in the Masons at all to start with.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Welcome, brother!!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Wear underwear. If nothing else wear underwear.

During one of the EA... um, walks... my cousin's "special pants" came unfastened and dropped. He was very glad to be wearing new, clean undies. The whole loge now knows whether he's a boxer or brief man. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

What kind of Podunk lodge uses a mechanical goat? That's straight up some poser Oddfellows business.

I imagine most urban lodges don't have access to livestock, and since many lodges have had to convert their Goat Rooms to Rooms of Preparation, it's gotten harder to get a real goat in the city lodges.