Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Innerguard posted:

Oh aye, another wee difference between the US and Scotland - we don't have hats for the Master or Wardens. Personally, I like the little flair of style it adds, but no way it would gain traction over here.

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

Do the Wardens wear a hat in some jurisdictions? I was under the impression it was only the WM who wore a hat in lodge (and I suppose other brothers whose faith requires it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

In France(I know not official Freemasons) we have or have had several government Ministers who are Freemasons.

I think it's worth mentioning that there is a regular grand lodge in France, and thus not all Freemasons in France are irregular. The Grande Orient de France I think is the irregular one; I forget how the regular one calls itself.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

Actually, the regular grand lodge in France has also been declared clandestine due to fuckery with their grand offices. As far as I know the only regular lodges working in France are working under the United Grand Lodge of England.

Welp, so much for that I guess. Got a link about that somewhere by chance?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mrbill posted:

She lit into him about how he'd just insulted me, my grandfather, a good portion of the teachers and faculty at the town's public schools, and so forth.

How deep does this rabbit hole go?? :tinfoil:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wizard of Smart posted:

The number I was quoted seemed kind of steep and in fact may be my biggest barrier to joining right away.

Eta:

I was told "$300 to $400," and I live in a smallish town in Washington.

Dues will vary from lodge to lodge as only a portion of that goes to the Grand Lodge. I don't recall exactly how much my petition fee was, but as I recall it was a dues payment for one year plus some small amount on top of that. I think it was around $150 or so. The subsequent degrees are like $50 each, so maybe that figure is a total amount to petition and get the three degrees rather than an up-front fee. If it's too much for you to cover even spread out over a year or longer, then check out some other lodges near you. There's three in Vancouver proper, as well as ones in Washougal, Amboy and Battle Ground. One of the other ones may well have more reasonable fees, and you might even find a group of guys that you mesh with better.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Well, new job and I'm working during every meeting. It'll be months til I can start requesting specific days off regularly. What do I do in the meantime? I've been away from lodge and my brothers for... 3 months now.

Work on your degree work and come back to lodge when you're able. Family and job should always take precedence over lodge.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Same in Washington, someone has to come with to vouch for you. Generally we'll open on whatever degree will allow everyone in, but I think visitation before being raised is uncommon outside of degrees.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago at some event or another we got to talking about lodges in other places, and one of the guys talked about how the Grand Lodge building in Philadelphia is particularly beautiful. I think less than a week later I was told to make travel arrangements for a work trip to Philadelphia. I was only in town for a few days and had basically zero time for sightseeing, unfortunately, so I knew I wouldn't get to go visit on this trip. The night before leaving though I got curious and looked it up online, at least to see where it was. My hotel was right across the loving street. I still didn't have time to check it out, but we had to go right past on the way to the office we were there visiting, so I at least got to see the outside (and it is a very nice looking building indeed).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
This kind of reminds me of something I've been wondering about. I'm planning to move in the not too distant future, though staying in the same state. The area I'm looking at is a couple hours drive away, but still within the jurisdiction of the shrine where I live now. Just over the border (very short drive) is another shrine. Are you allowed to apply to a shrine outside the jurisdiction where you live, or do you have to keep within boundaries regardless of comparative distances?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Question about recognition of regularity--aside from PHA, are there any jurisdictions recognized by the UGLE that are not recognized elsewhere on a widespread basis? that is by multiple grand lodges and not petty squabbles like between West Virginia and Ohio from a little while back.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ded posted:

Found out that both my great grandpa and grandpa were Masons. This is the inside of one of the books I found. It's a 93 year old book, Constitution and Ceremonies California 7th Edition.

Wow, that's really neat. My great-grandfather was a Mason in Riverside at about the same time. Corona Lodge is no longer around, and as near as I can tell it merged with Pasadena Lodge #272 sometime around 1990.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

My mother lodge is in Corona, and is a merged lodge (Temescal Palms #314). Which lodge was it?

I'm also familiar with the Riverside lodges, since that's where I grew up.

He was a member of Evergreen Lodge #259. The GL down there was able to send me his degree dates, but that was about it. Evergreen's web presence is basically non-existent, so I haven't been able to find much else about his masonic career. Not that I've tried all that hard, mind you, but it would be cool to see his name on a list of past masters or something like that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rapdawg posted:

So basically, Freemasons are like any other 'new world order' organization that conspiracy theorists think control everything- just a group of guys hanging out who have secrets because who doesn't want a global clubhouse? Its like a secret fort in the woods for grownups where you can help each other out in business and faith instead of hitting another kid with sticks.

The idea that we're secretly pulling the strings of all world governments is pretty laughable--as a whole we are barely able to plan a spaghetti dinner for twenty or so guys once a month, much less run the entire world.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

runupon cracker posted:

poo poo, I'm pretty sure my wife would argue that Masonry helps women get a night away from their husbands every once in a while!

No lie. In my investigation interview one of the guys asked if my wife would have any issues with me being away a few nights a month, and I replied that she'd be glad to get me out of the house for a change.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Some Zero posted:

Any brothers up for a long drawn out email chain while I vent and try and salvage a blue lodge issue? PMs work as well just don't want to suck anyone in with out full disclosure.

Sure, hit me up with a pm or email if you prefer, username at gmail.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Not yet ready. Have 1/2 of the posting lecture down. I'm taking my drat sweet time, and it wasn't a significant date until I was initiated.

But if I forget a line in the lecture, I'll never hear the end of it.

Whenever you're ready go for it. Your desire to get everything letter perfect is admirable, but it's not absolutely necessary at this stage. If your lodge is anything like mine when guys prove up then you'll do your thing and we'll just kind of agree informally "yeah that's pretty close, let's schedule your next degree" or "needs some work, try again next month." Never judgmental, always supportive and helpful.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Except in Washington where everything is secret.

This is incorrect.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Colton posted:

just chiming in the thread here to say that I contacted my local lodge and asked for petition papers. the secretary of lodge said he'd mail them to me and call me next week so we can meet over coffee and talk. My wife thinks it's silly but I like the idea of learning how to be a better man than I am. I just worry that my work schedule will prevent me from participating as much as I would need to. I work till 8 four nights a week.

anyway, wish me luck. maybe one day I'll get to call you all brothers.

If your work schedule is predictable then just look for a lodge that has meetings at a time that works for you. Most do meet in the evenings, but daylight lodges that meet during the day are not uncommon. Regardless, the fraternity will never ask you to put itself ahead of your career or your family. If you've only got a few free nights a month to participate then that's fine and no one will think less of you for it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A couple guys from my lodge and I visited another lodge last night for a third degree. The brother was a young man whose father and grandfather were both present. It was a very moving experience for all involved. If you've never visited another lodge for degree work I would recommend you do so, it's interesting to see how a different group approaches the same material. There were also three guys from one of the local PHA lodges in attendance. They have a third degree scheduled about a month from now that I hope to attend. I've never been before, and I hear their work is somewhat more... intense than ours.

Aureus posted:

Compare that to say, a quote from my home Grand Lodge's website... ( California )

quote:

Why can’t women join Masonry?

Masonry is a fraternity, a brotherhood. The essence of a fraternity is that it is for men, just as the essence of a sorority is that it is for women. There are several affiliated Masonic organizations for women only, as well as organizations for both men and women.

What are the women-only appendant bodies? OES for sure and I'm pretty sure Amaranth allow men. Daughters of the Nile maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Aureus posted:

Daughters of the Nile appears to be women only... I had not heard of them before reading Stubblyhead's post.

I don't know a whole lot about them either. Their meetings are in the same room we meet in at the local Shrine/SR complex though, and they occasionally don't leave thing the way they found them afterwards. I don't know what their ritual is like, but they have chairs all over the place draped with I don't know how many yards of the fancy stuff from the fabric store with the shiny metallic fibers woven in.