Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm meeting a man tomorrow to get my lodge petition. However, I'm about to leave the country for a study abroad program. Is it worth it to apply now, when I'm going to be overseas for five months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I just had my initial interview last night. I think it went well, and I'm told that I'll likely receive word around mid-December. It's been about a year long process, given that I left the country after submitting my petition, so the fact that things are moving along is pretty exciting.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Good news! I was accepted, and my initiation is set for December 29th.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I had my initiation last night. Everything went very well, and after we closed and congratulations were issued, we had a nice drink at the bar that operates right next to our building.

I'm very glad I decided to pursue this course in my life. The members of this lodge are very warm and friendly, and even though I'm by far the youngest member at 23, I feel welcomed and respected by everyone.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Great to hear mate. What part of the world are you from. Were scattered all over the earths broad surface itt ...

USA, specifically Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Maryland sounds like a gorgeous place. One of my favourite podcasts features a comedian named Ryan Sickler and he's always talking about its highs and lows in some parts - normally the highs though.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Whilst - having visited at USA lodges - I am aware of how very different things are, the tenets are the same. There are many experienced brethren here from the us who - after due examination - I'm sure would love to help you on your journey.

Enjoy masonry. (Did you find the whole goat portion of your initiation bizarre? Loomer and I used kangaroos...)

Without saying too much, I was appropriately surprised by the goat.

Many from Maryland would argue that I come from one of the low parts of Maryland, and I would find it hard to argue. That said, there is beauty to be found here, and it's my home, so I'm inclined to point out the good of the area.

What podcast would you be referring to? I'm always looking for more to listen to at the gym or on my commutes.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

Greetings, new Brothers. I have completed my initiation. Welcome me aboard!

Welcome, brother. I'm recently initiated myself, so I'm probably working on the same things you are.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

SylvainMustach posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/26/us/milwaukee-masonic-temple-mass-shooting-planned-charges/

Disaster averted. Stay safe out there brethren. I know most of you aren't in the same position I am (working in a publicly accessible masonic building), but it's still kinda scary.

edit:

just incase you weren't sure if Freemasonry was the motivation:

From here: http://www.cbs58.com/story/31062395/fbi-thwarts-mass-shooting-planned-at-masonic-temple-in-milwaukee

Terrifying... I'm glad this individual was caught before this became a tragedy.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In better news, I'm told I delivered a perfect EA Catechism tonight. It's a really great feeling, being given such emphatic compliments from men I respect and admire. It really cements for me the fact that I've fallen in to a great group.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, apparently Catholics can't be masons? (though that restriction isn't from the masonic side)

This, from my understanding, is correct. One of the Popes made it an ex communicable offense years ago, and it hasn't since been changed. Though, I'm sure its not something the Catholic Church is still actively enforcing.

From what I understand, the Knights of Columbus, an organization my Catholic father is a part of, was formed as a result.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
We initiated two new brothers tonight at our lodge! All in all, everything went well.

There was a slight hiccup when one candidate, a young man of 20, upon being asked the big question replied with "My Parents". I'm sure they're proud.

But it will be nice to have a few guys closer to my age at the dinners.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Haha that's great. Did anyone laugh? I hope not, since I'd hate to see a candidates' dignity harmed..

Nah, we managed to restrain ourselves. The WM leaned in and gently guided the candidate to the correct answer, and things proceeded smoothly from there.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous. I'm awestruck.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Well I'll tell you something and you can verify this by looking at my older posts in the thread. I seriously considered demitting because I don't want to directly and willingly associate with homophobes. So this put a personal moral dilemma to rest for me.

Edit: Spelling

That's essentially the view I take on the subject. I may be a fairly new brother, but I absolutely wouldn't have petitioned in the first place, if I had the impression I would be associated with homophobia via membership. I'm fortunate in that my state was an early adopter of marriage equality, so I don't think our GL would ever do something like TN or GA. Masonry was presented to me as an organization that sought to make good men better, and I would have found that contradictory, if good men were excluded for reasons such as sexual orientation.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

patentmagus posted:

There was racial segregation when and where I was raised. It bothered me a lot. Now I sit in lodge with a black man and call him brother. I wouldn't have this privilege if I'd stormed off at the thought of being associated with racism via membership.

I am glad to hear the situation was changed for the better, brother. What influenced your decision to be made a Mason, despite your misgivings on that subject?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm very sorry to hear that, Loomer. Naturally, I don't know all the circumstances, but it seems like, regardless of the reasons for the decision, it's highly unfortunate.

In positive news, tonight is my FC degree! I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little nervous about having to learn another catechism, as my new job has me working twice as many hours as the one I had when I was learning my first one.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonial Air Force posted:

Fellow Craft is my favorite.

The catechism should be about 80% the same, so you should be fine.

That's definitely a relief. I feel like I know the EA catechism backwards and forwards by now, so it's good to know I won't have too many issues.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

I just did mine, it was great fun! New stuff is easy as.

You think so? I feel like it went too quickly for me to memorize it all as much. It was definitely powerful. A lot to take in. But I'm sure with a few practices I'll have it down. I went through the degree alongside the elderly brother who did the first two pages of our EA catechism. We're likely going to divide this one similarly, as his memory isn't what it once was.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

Ostensibly, because it's 'more efficient' to move us into a smaller, less safe temple out of town. It's part of a broader strategy of moving freemasonry out of rural areas into centralized urban centers, which is absurd in this case as we happen to be the largest urban center in the region, with the largest temple of the sturdiest design, longest history, and strongest finances. But, the plan is to move us into that smaller temple, which they'll then probably try and shut down as well, because two other major towns in the district are our 'major masonic centres'.

Frankly, the whole thing is disgraceful and symptomatic of what's wrong with modern masonry in my opinion. We're building temples that are first and foremost conference centers etc to rent out, with the temple the smallest part of the building, tacked on as an afterthought. We're putting the cart before the horse and forgetting that the fiscal element of tenants and renting is there to subsidize the Craft, not the first and foremost purpose of temples (which are now to be called centers, not temples or lodges, on plaques etc.)

There'll be a sea change in a decade or two and maybe we'll be able to establish a new temple in town. But we're losing 100+ years of history in that one building, likely to lose a double digit lodge number and 130+ years of masonry in this town as a result. Our temple is as old as our country, our lodge is older, but rather than try and keep it alive (and we have 75% effective new member retention for the last 4 years (100% on paper but one of the fellas doesn't ever show up), with new candidates yearly, while staying firmly in the black fiscally) they're going to shut us down.

Congratulations to you newly passed workmen, and promise you two won't let my complaints influence you. Despite the problems we see manifested here and there - this fiasco, the potential schism with Georgia, etc - Masonry as a spiritual and moral pursuit is still worth pursuing. A brother (who, ironically, turned out to be a bit of one himself) gave me some sound advice when I first joined: Masonry is meant to make good men better men. Unfortunately, assholes will stay assholes - but don't let them stop you from being the better man.

This is sound advice, thank you. It's definitely been something I've had to remind myself of, on occasion. Though the things I may hear from some of my elderly brethren may not always sit right with me, I find the lessons learned of great value, and I have hope that, with the aid of my fellow young brothers entering the lodge alongside me, we'll be a positive influence on those around us, and on Masonry as a whole.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't been to the temple in 6 months. I was having trouble memorizing the EA degree, which this year they started requiring us to memorize in full, and I was getting no help from the active brethren. They'd just leave me in a library while they did prep for other rituals upstairs.

This group never seems to do anything BUT ritual prep. There are no brotherhood activities, and I don't see why I should have to organize them when they haven't even contacted me to see what's up or what my trouble is.

I don't know about demitting, but I don't think I'm going to keep up on dues. Maybe someday I'll get more active with a more supportive group but as it stands, I'm out.

I'm sorry to hear that, brother! Even during this busy period for us, the brethren at my lodge took time to work on my catechism at least once a week...

Are you required to learn it all mouth-to-ear?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In Maryland, we also have little coded books (shorthand, really, it's not terribly hard to decipher) with some of the more sensitive information left blank or reduced to the first letter of each word, so personal instruction is still necessary. I find it helps me a lot, as I find it hard to memorize anything if I don't have access to some resources. The mouth to ear lessons ensure I'm learning it word perfect, too.

It works for us.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Teddybear posted:

It wasn't, it was several years ago. I had my memory jogged in a dumb way and remembered that I never really figured out what was up with that side of him.

I'm almost certain they'd still be happy to talk to you.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Seconded! I'm absolutely awestruck.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

Well got some good news. My petition was balloted and and approved! Now I just need to wait until September or October for me to get my EA.

Been a two year process to get to this point.

That's fairly long. Mine was about a year, but that was mostly due to the complication of my being in another country for half a year after I submitted my petition. I've seen petition to initiation usually take a couple months, but I don't really know if that's the norm or not.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's official! Tonight I'm being raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, all I can say is "wow". I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I still don't have one! We have general use ones at the lodge. I think they meant to give me one, because they gave me a really nice lapel pin, and said they were going to give me more things, but they ran out of gifts. Not that I'm complaining, I'm sure all will come in due time.

So, in other updates, my mentor declared that I was well-versed in my MM catechism one week after I started studying it, and set my examination for this Tuesday. In addition, I've been put in charge of our lodge's website and will likely get handed the keys to our Facebook. I guess they tend to give the job to the youngest MM, because our SD, an extremely industrious brother in his mid-30s, was quite eager to pass the torch. It's certainly great to have a lot keeping me busy.

Grognan posted:

no beef with masonry but you guys take this pretty seriously, even if it has the unfortunate legacy of bad decisions past

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I know this is addressed slightly in the OP, but I'm looking for interesting books related to Freemasonry. I read through A Pilgrim's Path, which was a good read, and our Junior Warden has gifted me a copy of "A New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry" which is a bit intimidating, but a great resource.

I'm not out to learn anything specific, so I'm open to any suggestions.

In lodge news, we had an excellent EA degree last night, thanks to a special dispensation from the GL. It seems like fitting in work before we break for summer is a challenge. So much to do, so little time! I'm a little sad to see the season come, especially so quickly after my raising.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm definitely in your boat, brother. I'm very used to it, as I live in a very conservative area in general, so I too stay silent when politics comes up at dinner.

Just focus on the positive, and try to learn from the ritual, even if you find the actions and words of some brethren distasteful. It's a lot easier to ignore bad politics than racism, of course. I had a very similar situation come up, and it was quite upsetting. But remember that situations like those is why the Lodge needs young Brethren like us to persist, and eventually be in the position to outlive those who haven't yet embraced diversity.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

Try Who's Afraid of Freemasons? It's a most interesting read. http://www.amazon.com/Whos-afraid-Freemasons-phenomenon-Freemasonry/dp/1860460291

Thank you, brother. I've added it and "Freemasonry - The Reality" on the advice of our state's Masonic Research Society to my list.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Tonight I had the pleasure of filling in for one of the Stewards as we (with the special dispensation of the GL) examined five Master Masons on their catechisms. It was nice to see what it's like to be in one of the comfy chairs. If I can believe all the hinting from our elected Officers it's something I'll probably get used to, one day.

In the four weeks since I've been raised, I really feel like a lot has opened up for me to do. I've been approached about a few appendant bodies, and have stepped up for website and facebook duties, as well as a bit of mentoring to our many EAs working on their catechisms. It's pretty interesting being, by a margin of 10 years, our lodge's youngest Master Mason. Mostly, a lot of surprise that I've continued to stick around and stay involved after my raising.

Overall, I'm very glad that I ended up taking the necessary steps on this journey, and appreciate the bits of advice I've picked up from the Brethren in this thread. So thanks for that!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Woot! The day is here! Tonight I become an entered apprentice!

Congratulations!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Last night was pretty great. Our lodge was host to the School of Instruction, practicing the FC degree. I sat JS, and apparently did a good job.

What was truly great was seeing our lodge so full. We're a rather small lodge, able to fill all the chairs, but not much more than that. It's quite beautiful, seeing so many good men in harmony, especially during the summer.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

I find myself in the awkward position of several brothers wanting me to join the Templars while I'm not a Christian or a trinitarian in the conventional sense. I recognize the existence of the holy trinity but through a qabalistic and pantheistic perspective, but somehow I doubt that counts for their purposes.

So just say "thanks, but no thanks". That's why I did. I'm pretty much the only Jewish guy in my lodge, so I get where you're coming from. My thoughts on the matter are, if you can't get behind the premise of the Templars, then you're probably not going to get much out of the ritual either, right?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

mine isnt. :D

Lucky guy!

(Our solution was to sell part of our building to a good bar)

In other news, our first regular meeting back from the summer break was nice. I'm finding that my pockets are beginning to get filled with appendant body applications, though. I received a Scottish Rite and a Tall Cedars application last night, and had to respectfully decline York Rite, due to the whole Jewish ineligibility thing.

I'm wary of overextending myself, as my job is fairly demanding, and I'm recently engaged. Not only that, but I'm getting strong hints that I'm a prime candidate for a soon to be vacant JD chair.I'm always eager for more fellowship and brotherhood, of course. What's a good way to prevent burnout?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

COOL CORN posted:

Brothers, I don't want to air dirty laundry here, but we had a pretty major (and incredibly petty) York Rite event happen today. I've been debating typing out what happened, but I want to use it as a cautionary tale of what can happen when you let your beef with another brother get out of hand. Basically, it ended in a York Rite reunion (scheduled for today) being shut down at 8am TODAY. All candidates for the degrees were sent home, and all of the $1500 worth of food was driven down to a local homeless shelter. Companions and Sir Knights from all over the state, some of whom had to wake up at 3am just to make it in time, had to turn around and drive back home. All because of a petty beef between two grand line officers.

I'm keeping it vague because I don't want this to turn into gossiping, but keep in mind our obligations, brothers. Keep in mind the working tools. For God's sake, work out any problems you have with your fellow brothers. Don't let it affect the craft. Ugh. I've been stewing about this all day - this isn't what Masonry is. And now the candidates won't have great stories to share with other brothers, but rather they'll spread the word of how petty and bad the York Rite is. Ugh.

Goodness! That's truly disheartening. I hope that the candidates are able to dissociate this event from the organization as a whole...

I'm sorry you had to bear witness to that, Brother. hopefully the officers involved are able to settle their differences...

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's certainly an interesting issue. On the one hand, in many other countries, as I understand, lodges having a bar is fairly typical. It's not been the case in my lodge, but I do live in the United States, and specifically, in a city that only recently repealed laws prohibiting liquor sales on Sunday. In situations where it's expected that a lodge have a bar, I'd expect that someone interested in the Fraternity would have to contend with that temptation, should they be a recovering alcoholic.

However, as a large portion of lodges in the United States are dry, I don't know how I'd feel about them suddenly opening bars, for the reasons Sub Rosa discussed. It is worth considering that, for a recovering alcoholic, coming together in fellowship is a good way to be social and amongst friends without having to contend with battling addiction. I'm not an alcoholic myself, but there's a few recovering in my family. Some of them avoid minor family parties because they'd rather not be faced with that situation.

In short, perhaps our lodge could be more fun if it had a bar, but we're not losing any candidates by not having one, and I certainly wouldn't want to lose a Brother by virtue of obtaining one. Fair assessment?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Keetron posted:

All this and nobody is commenting on Jay-Z apparently being a Brother?

I will only wear an MM ring after I wear a wedding band, as I am sure my fiancee will like me better if I do it like that.
We didn't really pick a date for the wedding, this will likely become a multi-year engagement.

That's a tough one, a lot of the good subtle gear tends to be ties, cufflinks, and rings. I know my people in my lodge have some tasteful polo shirts and baseball caps...

This one from a cursory glance, isn't too bad. Pricey, though, and no clue where it's shipping from. I'm pretty sure our grand Lodge sells merchandise, some of it nice. I don't know if that's the case for other grand lodges.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

Well Brethren, I have be initiated. What a interesting ritual that was. Such an info dump at the end too where i probably have retained about 20-30 percent. I feel bad about that since the brothers spent a lot of time preparing and memorizing.

I'm NOT looking forward to memorizing my proficiency. Oh lord that's a lot of stuff.

Don't worry, you're not the only guy who they memorized all that for, and you'd have to have a photographic memory to have retained all of it in one go. The beauty of the ritual is, in part, its abundance. You'll get something new out of it the more you see it.

As for your proficiency, it'll depend a lot on your district as to how often you can practice. Ours had code books, and with dedicated study, I committed mine to memory in about a month. Best way is to keep going to lodge, and catch a 1st degree practice or see someone else go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Paramemetic posted:

One letter.

It just has to do with whether those particular grand lodges were founded with charters from the Ancient or Premier Grand Lodge of England prior to the United Grand Lodge being formed in 1813. So in the US it's a toss up whether a given blue lodge will be Ancient Free & Accepted or just Free & Accepted.

There are some minor phrasing differences in the work, but nothing substantial. Minor changes in the way the lodge is conducted but again nothing major. It just means I'd have to relearn the lectures and so on for the small changes in phrasing.

The main thing that was disappointing to me is that apparently Maryland is a slideshow state, and I was fortunate to have my first degree lecture done in a very special, unique way by a real scholar of it, which cannot be done here as the lectures have to be done in a format ratified by the GL, which in MD means a very specific format that I'm' not keen on. Oh welp tho.

Oh are you in MD too? Hope we get to meet up sometime!

I can understand being a bit put off by the slideshows, though, they seemed out of place to me too.