Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Brother Senior Warden, are all present Master Goons? Inquire through your proper channel until you are duly satisfied.

"I am protected."

Then as Worshipful Master, I order Something Awful Getout Thread #3523447 to be now open. :mason:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Also gently caress Arkansas. http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2012/11/shrine-declared-clandestine-in-arkansas.html

I'm not a Shriner but I think this whole posturing thing between the two of them is idiotic.

Reminds me of the posturing we had between Blue Lodge and Scottish Rite. A bunch of Blue Lodges meet on the ground floor of our temple building, and the Scottish Rite uses the upper floor of the building. There was some dumb argument over who's supposed to be paying for upkeep of the building, and for a while there was some tension and/or bad blood between the two groups. Eventually the NC Grand Master come down and was like "Are you guys fuckin' serious? You're all Master Masons and brothers, act like it drat it." Since then we've been fine :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's pretty interesting. Here we refer to the Master of the Lodge as "Worshipful" and the Master of the Grand Lodge as "Right Worshipful".

I like the kilts and tartans though :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rivethead posted:

Curious if anyone has ever tried to join the masons that claimed Satan was the one supreme being in his religion? Is this against specific rules?

Do you believe in "a God"? Yes.
Do you believe in the immortality of the soul? Yes.
The resurrection to a future life? Yes.

Is it against the rules? No, not technically.

I believe I may know somebody that can speak to this issue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

They seem to describe them selves as masonry.
"The Grand Orient de France (GODF) is the largest of several Masonic organizations in France and the oldest in Continental Europe"
Do continental masons say american style masonry isn't real masonry? Is it a matter of opinion or are continental masons not "real" masons?

The United Grand Lodge of England doesn't recognize them as a Masonic body, therefore they are not "Masonry" as we define it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I've always been pretty interested in masonry, me and a few friends were fairly seriously considering joining up.
Does Canadian masonry differ much from american? I'm trying to read up on it but I can't really tell if it's any more progressive than the american version. Any Canadian masons around?

I'm sure the "progressiveness" varies from area to area. It's the same in America. Masonic lodges in Florida, for example, are way more conservative than Masonic lodges in California.

In general, though, I don't think CA Masonry differs much from American Masonry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
There's no analogy needed, it's a fraternity. Go to your nearest college and ask the fraternities why they don't allow women in, they'll give you much the same answer (though probably drunker (then again maybe not)).

edit-- Honest question, do you consider sororities and fraternities to be sexist?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

"well we aren't sexist, we just really like being a traditional boys club with the trappings of sexism and sexist rules"

Yep that's pretty much verbatim what we said :downs:

We have the same rules we did multiple centuries ago when this fraternity was started, and they're not going to change anytime soon. I'm not going to try to debate you on these points because you've already made your mind up about our organization being sexist. Unfortunately, there's nothing we're going to be able to do to change your mind on this, so there's no point in arguing. If you are of the mindset that fraternities and sororities shouldn't exist, and all sports teams should be made co-ed, then... well, we're just going to be on opposite sides of this issue, sorry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can attest for short terms. My lodge prides itself on having never repeated a WM in its entire history. That probably accounts for a lot of its progressiveness.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ah, I love when people get flustered during the degrees, especially scared candidates.

"In whom do you put your trust?"
"IN MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST"
"*ahem*... uh... in... whom?"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Can somebody frame that post somehow? I don't believe we've ever had someone disagree with us on that point and then eventually come around.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Brothers,

Wishing you all the best for this holiday season, no matter what you are celebrating, or if you are even celebrating at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hm let's see, how old am I now? ... I guess I was 25 when I joined. My family took some easing into it, since they're Pentecostal Fox-News-watching conservative Christians.

Basically, I wrote a 5-page essay debunking all the weird anti-Christian myths surrounding Masonry, and my dad responded with "hm, well I still don't approve, but do what you want."

Whatever, my life, not his! :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Clean Plate Award?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 26, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Coolguye posted:

I have followed the last thread with casual interest, and there is one thing about the Masons I am having a hard time grasping; how does the order "make good men better"? Like is there an example or two you can give?

All of the symbolism in the rituals and ceremonies is related to moral teachings. The three tenets of the fraternity are brotherly love, relief, and truth. Nearly everything you'll see revolves around those three things in some way, with some other things thrown in their like keeping a sound mind, organizing your time properly, etc.

Aside from that, we strive to be an organization where men to want to be better people hang out with other men who want to be better people. It's sort of a feedback loop, in a good way. We love each other, have a good time, help out other people, and help out each other.

You can't make a bad man good, but you can make a good man better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I always chuckle when I see aprons that have a thick-color trim like that.

It makes me wonder if the founders of Gmail were Masons, putting in a little inside joke...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've been speaking with the secretaries of both the York Rite and Scottish Rite about joining up. The next YR festival is in March and the next SR reunion is in April, so I've got plenty of time to consider and think about it.

I'm dead set on the SR, as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, in the interest of furthering my Masonic education, I'm also looking at the YR. Would there be much to gain from a non-Christian joining? I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That all makes sense. I can support "defending" even though I may not believe that particular story. No harm in it either way I suppose.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Are you thinking of joining in GBO ? If so, you couldn't have picked a better time, there is a renewed zeal among the bodies that is contagious and inspiring.Last night was our Jan. Lodge of Perfection and the call was put out to ramp up membership this year. If you have any questions about S.R., or specifically Greensboro S.R., come at me bro.

Yep! My home lodge is in Greensboro (Gate City 694), so having a SR room in the same building would be convenient :)

Was there any word at the meeting when the reunion would be? I talked with the secretary but he said that a date hadn't been set yet. I'm guessing April sometime, that's so far awayyyy :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Spring reunion is April 26-27, and would be the one I would recommend. They are thinking about spreading out the Fall reunion over 3 months or so.

I'm there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can't guarantee I'll be around in April, but we'll see! My fiancee (as of two weeks ago :toot: ) and I are trying to move out of state, so we'll see what happens.

What lodge are you a member of? I don't think I remember seeing you mention being from the area before!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

EtchaSketch posted:

While I understand that all members and applicants must be of good moral character, how would this apply to someone who was formerly affiliated with a gang or organized crime group that has seen the error of that life and strives now to do what is right? Is it a rule that applies to having lived an entirely righteous life or is forgiveness allowed for past transgressions?

My personal opinion is it's the man you are now that matters, and the man you want to become through the Craft.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well, from what I've been reading, some people/jurisdictions consider the Mark Master degree to be the true final degree of the Blue Lodge, so take that for what you will.

On that note, I'm joining York Rite in March so I'll find out then too!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That dude in the back's beard is pretty awesome.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ari posted:

I challenge any Mason in this thread to say that he has never once broken his obligations or violated the charges given to him.

Breaking the obligations and violating the charges are two wildly different animals.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just received this e-mail from our lodge secretary (last names abbreviated for privacy):

quote:

SUBJECT: Thinking out of the box for the lodge

BODY: What the heck does that mean???? Well, Gate City has been blessed with innovation over the past 10-15 years and longer. WB Dudley S., PM and now deceased started Gate City in a program with the City of Greensboro in holding a Household Hazardous Waste Day each year for the citizens of Greensboro. WB Arthur M., PM started Gate City with the Street Cleanup program. Gate City started holding full dinner meals prior to Lodge and many have followed our lead on this. There are other programs we have initiated and still carry on.

Now is the time for new ideas and thoughts. We want your input...

Have you heard of something or seen another organization doing something that might fit in with Gate City Lodge and helping our community? We’re looking for something new and different that might not have been done in Greensboro before but may be going on in other areas of the state or even in other states other than N.C. Let us know your ideas.

I know that every jurisdiction and lodge and city are different, but I'm curious what interesting things all your lodges are involved with? Maybe something will spark an idea in my brain that I can pass on to our brother secretary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Does this mean me and Satan are bros now

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

imac1984 posted:

Do other jurisdictions allow EAs to visit other lodges?

Ours only allows it if the other lodge is opening up an EA lodge. So basically, only if the lodge is conferring the first degree.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just sent off my paperwork for York Rite, 3 weeks and 2 days until I start that journey :dance:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Keetron posted:

Slightly different, but the date is set and I will be raised to MM on the 19th of March. If any of you guys is in the vicinity of Amsterdam, NL, Europe, please drop me a pm as I would be thrilled if you'd visit and be present there.

It might not be entirely clear to you guys, but you are a big facilitator, a big catalyst, how you wish to put it, in my membership of our fraternity. Mr Bill, QPZIL, Lovable Lucifarian are some of the Brothers that were early in the first edition of this thread whose names I remember. You made me think and rethink and think again about my membership and while SA is often misunderstood, I am glad I can call all FM goons my Brother.

I didn't think anyone noticed me :3:

Really glad to hear about your impending doom raising. I wish I could make it, but I'll just say veel geluk!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

qraham posted:

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

I'd say most of these stories are apocryphal at best. More likely is that they joined a lodge and got to know some guys that happened to know about job openings - but that's true of any social organization. If that's your goal, I'd say go for something like the Rotary Club or something. The aim of Freemasonry isn't socio-economic growth, but moral and fraternal growth.

usernamen_01 posted:

Gee whiz, that's a good volume response! I really appreciate it.

How hard is it to become a master mason? Is there a sort of an expected time frame you have to abide by to get to that rank..if you can call it that?

It's not "hard" per se, but the time table varies by district. I was able to be initiated, learn my catechism in 2 weeks (meeting with my coach every day), was passed, another 2 weeks or catechism learning, and then was raised. There was some ebb and flow in that schedule, and it was around Christmas so things got delayed a bit, but I was initiated in October of '10 and was raised to the sublime degree of master mason in January of '11.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 4, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well Brethren, tonight's the night. After I get home I'll have had the Royal Arch degrees, Cryptic degrees and Order of the Red Cross conferred to me. Saturday morning we're continuing with Order of Malta and Order of the Temple.

I'm so excited, it's been over 2 years since I was made a Master Mason, so I'm eager to receive new light.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's why their doing Malta/Temple on Saturday. I was told to show up at 7:30am and expect to stay until sometime in the late afternoon :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
All these brothers are becoming newly-Entered Apprentices, whereas last night I was made Mark Master Mason, Past Mason, and Most Excellent Master. On Saturday I'll be receiving the Royal Arch degree, both Council degrees, and the three Commandery degrees :stare:

I learned some really cool tidbits about our lodge. There's a chandelier in our Scottish Rite room - when the lodge was constructed, one of the members (or maybe a visiting member) was lead glass designer for Tiffany & Co. He noticed that we needed more lighting in the room and constructed that chandelier onsite for free. It's so gorgeous.

Also, the volume of marks we have has Mark Master Masons' marks dating back to 1828 when the chapter (Chorazin Chapter no. 13) was founded :aaa: - granted, this is spanned over a multitude of actual physical books, but they're all still stored in the lodge.

Two years ago when I was raised, I thought I knew basically everything about Masonry and the lodge... it's a good feeling knowing that I don't :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
One thing an old man told me at the lodge last night:
"The real secret of Freemasonry isn't the grips or the words or anything, the real secret of Freemasonry is in going through the degrees. Sure, you could tell someone how to do a grip or what a word may be, and people have, but how are you going to tell your wife or friend exactly what you felt that night you were initiated? Or that night you were raised? There's no way to do it."

That really struck a chord with me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Darn you, now I sort of want to go through the York and SR degrees. Though with the oath in commandery I don't think I could do those degrees in good conscience.

Question York Rite brothers, could I do the degrees up to commandery and not progress or is that some sort of faux pas?

My understanding is that yes, you can. But, I'd say that a large majority of people who join the YR do so solely to get to the Commandery.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

And in Commandery you have to swear to defend Christianity right?

It seems to vary by jurisdiction. In NC the wording is "swear to defend the Christian faith," but I've seen another petition (Illinois maybe?) where the wording is "swear a belief in the Christian faith."

Not to turn this into a theological discussion, but the first I can do. The second I can not.

Just like blue lodge and the issue of belief in a higher power, as long as you can answer "yes" without hesitation, reservation, or secret evasion of mind, then it's not discussed any further. I've read on another forum of their being Jews in the Commandery, though obviously I can't speak for them.

edit-- and one more thing to note, people often think of the Scottish Rite and York Rite as structured the same way: a series of degrees that build on each other. This isn't true. The York Rite is a loosely connected group of three independent bodies: Chapter, Council and Commandery. In some states, you even get 3 separate dues cards! So, Commandery isn't to be thought of as the "highest degree of York Rite" or "the end of the York Rite degrees", it's simply one of the 3 bodies that make up the York Rite. You can easily (in my mind) go through the Capitular and Cryptic degrees and leave it at that if you so wish.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 8, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Colonial Air Force posted:

The argument, at least with the "swear to defend the Christian faith" wording, is that you're defending a Christian's right to have said faith, to worship as they see fit.

I don't really agree with that interpretation, but to each their own.

That's the way I interpret it. I will defend the Christian faith just as much as I will defend the Muslim faith or the Luciferian faith or the Buddhist faith or whatever. But, I totally understand why others would interpret it differently, and that's one of the beautiful things about Masonry - you get out of it what you put into it going in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Yeah that seems like a stretch to me too.

Well I think the SR, Shrine, and OES don't require any of that so all of those are still options for me. :)

The SR would cerrrrtainly not require that. I haven't been through it, but if Morals & Dogma is anything to go by, it focuses way more on ancient pre-Christian religions and mysticism.

Then again Albert Pike is as crazy as a football bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I said something like that to a Brother the other day and he got huffy and called me "irreverent." The dude was bonkers, I don't know why people try to deny that.

Granted, I love reading mystic texts, but I put Pike in the same "fascinating and crazy" camp as Aleister Crowley. I love reading both of their works, but as people they're off the deep end.