Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angela Christine posted:

Just for a laugh do any of you ever learn stone masonry?
I recall in the last thread there was a story about an old lady who called a local lodge to ask about getting her stoop repaired, as they were, after all, free masons. They explained they weren't that kind of Mason.

Then they went and did it anyway.

I should go back to Holland Lodge again now that I have semi-steady work, but I'm not sure if I'm staying in town terribly much longer. :( If mrbill's still around over there, how's Gray doing?

e: to clarify since bill is in fact POSTING IN THIS THREAD :v:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Keetron posted:

We had this one guy who visited us during our once a year "open to all who are interested to look inside the building and learn a bit more about masonry" ask how far we were with the research on Atlantis and other secrets normally kept from the common public. Also he wanted to know if there were study groups for higher consciousness and how to achieve that through meditation. He was not exactly ridiculed but told that there was none of that.
Later my wife, who was present as she wanted to see the building from the inside, told me he looked like that boy in second grade who was laughed at by his classmates but honestly has no idea why. All in all it was sad to see, and I still feel bad for the guy.
Yeah you should have at least told him about the Atlantis group, dude!

Also hello again thread, I had my interest in Masonry back in Texas derail horribly in the garbage fire of my life, but I'm getting back on track, ish. A couple of questions.

One, I had completed an application but immediately withdrew it at a lodge in Texas. Is that going to pose any problems going forwards? (This was when the personal garbage-fire-of-life started, and essentially I could not participate meaningfully in Masonic life at that time.)
Two, relevant to this talk of disability: While I can walk around fine, I have non-trivial injury to my right leg. I have not sought out the spoilers but I understand there's a fair bit of kneeling, and if I kneel on that knee I would probably scream in agony and I think a surgical screw might poke out through the skin. Is this the sort of thing folks are good about adapting with?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Bottom line is, 3rd degree is the "highest rank" there is. After you're a third degree Mason (Master Mason), you're free to join an appendant body. Think of those as extracurricular activities like chess club or something. You're not any higher rank, they're just extra Masonic things you can do. One of the appendant bodies, the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, confers 29 further degrees on you, culminating in receiving the 32nd degree.

So, while a lot of people may talk about the 32nd degree like it's the be-all end-all of Masonry, it doesn't make a Master Mason any higher rank than any other.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I remember reading during my earlier flirtation with the craft that apparently you get the rank of the highest Scottish Rite thing you participated in? So you could have done the 7th, 8th, and 32nd one and you'd be a 32nd degree Mason, while if I did 4-28 I'd be 28th degree. Is that right or was it my memory betraying me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

Congratulations, newly raised brother. Don't worry, the sense of total confusion is normal, as is an inability to remember certain specifics of the ritual. Those come back once the brain has processed some of the exoteric elements of the raising.
This is what they called "Goat fever," isn't it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

I come from a double digit lodge, for instance, and a very auspicious number at that
It's 69, isn't it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CountFosco posted:

You joke, but in the past month I have literally wrestled with a goat.
Dude, spoilers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Any NJ masons know if this stuff is rife in that neck of the woods?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Much higher incident of goat-related crimes though, you have to admit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

I've noticed references to Freemasonry in comic book author Alan Moore's stuff. And that guy claims to be a wizard. I don't think he's joking. Is wizardry acceptable in Masonry or is that sort of thing frowned upon?
Abjuration and greater divination: Yes
Invoc/evoc, enchantment/charm, necromancy: Situational
All others: No
Caprimancy: Mandatory

I believe that Alan Moore is in one of those weird chaos-magician situations where he doesn't not believe in magic, even when he is performing occult rites.

Some people have said they would have issues accepting a Mason whose religious belief was rooted in Thelema (Crowley's religious framework). I don't think interest in occult stuff would be a big issue...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect you might get people asking you strange, but curiously consistent, questions...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Open > Lodge
Look
Look > Goat
(redacted) > Goat

Are any goons involved in Masonry in New Jersey?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chubby Henparty posted:

they what? Is that for placement of new bods? Doesn't sound very gdpr

anyone else had an earful about the new online filing system? apparently a tool for befuddling 75yr old secretaries with a mix of web1.0 and brazil
Youd think the aliens or the goat would provide better UX.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I never ended up joining and then my life got nuts, but I’ve only recently started poking at all in NJ.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh man, that's awful to hear. He was encouraging to me when I was exploring Masonry back when I lived in Texas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chubby Henparty posted:

True, I wonder if it counts as a bigger barrier these days though.
Unfortunately almost any kind of spiritual component will automatically turn off a large chunk of people under about 50 who otherwise seem to fall in the logical range for Masonry. But hey, low taxes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

Most lodges have upgraded to CT but we're all beholden to tradition
Caprine Technology