Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Read the thread, got interested, then remembered my last Pope really hated you guys and my current Pope hasn't had enough time to say anything about it. So I'll be sitting on the sidelines.

Maybe I'll join up with the KofC and hang out with my Dad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, back when Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI was still just Cardinal Questionably NaziRatzinger, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (a.k.a. The Inquisition Except Nobody Calls Us That Anymore), he made sure to clarify the Catholic Freemason issue. He got Pope JPJ II to sign off on a doc that says:

quote:

"The faithful who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion...."
and

quote:

"...the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association(s) remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden."

So no Masonry for me!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

PrinceRandom posted:

Why is Masonry such an un-Catholic activity? Is it because it came about primarily in Protestant places?

From my research, there's two main reasons.
  • They actually (used to?) believe half the conspiracy theories about the Freemasons. The anti-religious statements issued by the Grand Orient de France haven't helped. The Church doesn't see them as irregular and feels they speak for all Freemasons.

• They feel that because of the non-denominational nature of many of the rituals, Freemasonry actively denies the Catholic Truth of Salvation. This is probably the biggest deal nowadays, though with Pope Francis' work in interfaith movements, I feel that it would probably be less of an issue for him. Will he care enough to make a statement on it, though? Probably not.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 15, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So guys?

I think someone's leaking Masonic Secrets.

Just FYI

http://youtu.be/JN2QUhaKN2Q

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Loomer posted:

First Installation tonight!

Also, I missed lodge last month and yesterday the WM rang to make sure the tensions at the lodge before that wasn't making me uncomfortable, which was very sweet.

So if it ever came down to Lodge or The Project Of The Damned, which would you pick, Loomer?

WHICH WOULD YOU PICK??!?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

junopsis posted:

So, if this is the wrong place, please let me know.

I'm wondering if you guys could tell me anything about an object that may have belonged to my grandfather on Dad's side. It's on a small chain, like a bracelet:

All I really know is that it may have been his (there were some masonic cufflinks and pins in his stuff along with this, hence the conjecture that it has something to do with that).

I wouldn't play with it too much

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cholmondeley posted:

Time to dust off the goon goat.

The goat's sleeping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Have you all watched Lodge 49 on Prime Video?

Fictional, but I think you'd enjoy it.